Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Long Riders (Special Edition) $15.68 (45% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Batman Ninja (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
Fifty Shades Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Foreigner (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Avengers 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.22

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Matrix Reloaded 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Atomic Blonde (Blu-ray)
$9.99

I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default Samsung Micro LED

I actually had no idea Samsung had a tech like this in their sleeves and whilst it's interesting that it can do perfect black like OLEDs and has no burn in risk as well as like LCD the potential for massive peak brightness perhaps even more so than OLED.

Sony recently showed off an 8K 10,000 nits monster that seemed to have local dimming available and I'm sure Samsung could probably replicate that with the Micro Led tech BUT it's the "Modular" nature of how it all seems put together that puts me off a bit. It's mainly because you seem to "see" the little modules all stuck together forming the TV but I'm interested to see if Samsung find a way to use Micro LED tech in a more "hidden" way where it looks like traditional screens in all one piece.

I think it possibly still suffers from LCD style motion resolution issues but the tech combined with quantum dots really could beast the flat screen market for even 4K HDR at 10,000 nits within 3-5 years.
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK

Last edited by NARMAK; 01-09-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Thanks given by:
dobyblue (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
I actually had no idea Samsung had a tech like this in their sleeves and whilst it's interesting that it can do perfect black like OLEDs and has no burn in risk as well as like LCD the potential for massive peak brightness perhaps even more so than OLED.

Sony recently showed off an 8K 10,000 nits monster that seemed to have local dining available and I'm sure Samsung could probably replicate that with the Micro Led tech BUT it's the "Modular" nature of how it all seems put together that puts me off a bit. It's mainly because you seem to "see" the little modules all stuck together forming the TV but I'm interested to see if Samsung find a way to use Micro LED tech in a more "hidden" way where it looks like traditional screens in all one piece.

I think it possibly still suffers from LCD style motion resolution issues but the tech combined with quantum dots really could beast the flat screen market for even 4K HDR at 10,000 nits within 3-5 years.
I'm always in for some local dining, but as far as the rest of your post, I have no idea.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

It sounds a little like Sony's CrystalLED they showed off a few years ago at CES, nothing came of it but it sounded terrific. 1080p set using individual LEDs as the light source, no LCD panel. Perfect blacks.
The first thing I try to communicate to my crew is that there will be no shaky-cam and no rack zooms, because those techniques are only used to hide the fact that there is no energy. When you eliminate those gimmicks you’re confronted with the reality of the shot you have in front of you, and nine times out of 10 you say to yourself: “This just isn’t working.”
~Christopher McQuarrie (Director, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation)
Thanks given by:
Pugszly (04-17-2018), Robert Zohn (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OI8T12 View Post
I'm always in for some local dining, but as far as the rest of your post, I have no idea.
Lmao, I love when auto correct works so well
500GB PS3
Panasonic 50VT20B
PSN ID: NARMAK
Old 01-14-2018, 04:04 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Illinois

Samsung's "The Wall" TV looks amazing; it is a 146" micro LED behemoth that will be available for purchase later this year. The price will likely be astounding, too. It is modular. It is shown in this article from CNN along with two other devices.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/01/09/tech...tvs/index.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > New Display Technologies