Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$28.49
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 PM   #421
Power Member

Aug 2009
Waukee, IA

I have both the US and the French releases of this. Quite happy with both. The US has the best version of the US Theatrical Cut (which is also present on the AUS release), but the French disc has three versions that besides the US Theatrical, look fantastic.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:18 PM   #422
Banned

Aug 2011
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkShed View Post
I have both the US and the French releases of this. Quite happy with both. The US has the best version of the US Theatrical Cut (which is also present on the AUS release), but the French disc has three versions that besides the US Theatrical, look fantastic.
I have both the UK and US Blu-rays of AoD and I have to say the UK edition is the best of the two as it doesn't have as much horrible artificial sharpening as the US edition and also has less apparent edge enhancement.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:00 PM   #423
Power Member

Aug 2009
Waukee, IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky01542 View Post
I have both the UK and US Blu-rays of AoD and I have to say the UK edition is the best of the two as it doesn't have as much horrible artificial sharpening as the US edition and also has less apparent edge enhancement.
The UK disc is Region B locked though, right?
Old 01-31-2014, 02:53 AM   #424

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Haven't gotten the new Aussie set, but have the UK, US, FR and German editions. Most people agree the UK disc has better PQ than the US, but both of those only have the US theatrical cut.
If you don't care to have the additional TV cut, which is in SD and not very good PQ even for that, the French set is the best option IMO, most people who own it and have multiple versions seem to feel the same way. However the TV cut has some interesting alternate footage if you're curious enough, or you could maybe find that on youtube. Oh, but the French has the US cut in terrible PQ (similar to the US disc).
FWIW, you can see on caps-a-holic that the German directors cut is quite dark looking compared to the EU cut, (suffered a lot of black crush and often looked murky on my set), so I think it's safer to get the French disc for that, which nearly everyone says looks great. On my set the French DC looks almost as good as the EU cut.
Thing is both US and director cuts have pretty essential exclusive content, so to get both with good PQ you really need at least the French and UK editions, unless the new Australian has both cuts in great PQ, will be nice to see some reviews and comparisons.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.

P.S. I'm not the best speller

Last edited by billyearle; 01-31-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America