Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Book Thief (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.96
Blade Runner (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Poltergeist II: The Other Side / Poltergeist III (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Home (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Oculus (Blu-ray)
$7.99
It Follows (Blu-ray)
$14.84
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #181
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Granada series or bust
Old 12-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #182
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Wow, the lightning deal really sucks this year - $50! Last year's LD was $15 cheaper!
Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #183
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Wow, the lightning deal really sucks this year - $50! Last year's LD was $15 cheaper!
Yeah, it did stink. I was about to add it to my cart until I saw $49.99 and then I said the hell with it. It was only discounted $10 from $60. Not much of a deal Amazon.
"I'll be there... around every corner... in every empty room... as inevitable as your guilty conscience..."
My Motion Picture Collection
My Vinyl Collection
My VUDU Collection
PSN: HD_Goofnut
World of Tanks: HD_Goofnut
Old 12-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #184
Power Member

Aug 2008
Mississippi

I think I got it cheaper than that at full price last year from Amazon.UK
Old 12-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #185
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Just a heads up, the complete collection is on Amazon Spain for 12 Euros

http://www.amazon.es/Sherlock-Holmes...holmes+blu+ray

PS
Not sure of the region coding on this set.
Set up: Panasonic 55" ST60 Plasma, OPPO BDP83 Blu Ray Player, SKY HD, PS3 & PS4.
Calibrated using Eye One Display Pro & Chromapure SW.

All opinions expressed are my own.

Last edited by tele1962; 12-07-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:13 AM   #186
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Metro Detroit Area

MidnightZap.com has this for $49.99 right now. The site owner said when I emailed him that these should come with slipcovers which is a bonus.

http://midnightzap.com/products/sher...dvd-ships-fast

Use code T9XN1Z7VLB8F to save 10%.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #187
Special Member

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUUGGGGHHHH View Post
MidnightZap.com has this for $49.99 right now. The site owner said when I emailed him that these should come with slipcovers which is a bonus.
Rather than being concerned about a slipcover you should be more concerned that two films in this set, 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', were not restored.

Still though, it's a very nice set of films and a must for Sherlock fans. After Jeremy and Basil, all the rest are 'posers ...
Old 03-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #188
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
Rather than being concerned about a slipcover you should be more concerned that two films in this set, 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', were not restored.

Still though, it's a very nice set of films and a must for Sherlock fans. After Jeremy and Basil, all the rest are 'posers ...
Perhaps you should be "concerned" that he already knows that and still likes slips. The two are certainly not mutually exclusive ...
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Thanks given by:
mbarto (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 02:47 PM   #189
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
two films in this set, 'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Hound of the Baskervilles', were not restored.
Probably had to do with access to original materials, those 2 movies were made by a different studio.
Quote:
Oh I don't know, I like Peter Cushing's Holmes in the BBC TV series and the Russian actor Vasily Livanov essayed a wonderful portrayal of Holmes in the very nicely done Russian series.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:09 AM   #190
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
California

Recommended for someone that's never seen these?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60.
VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:48 AM   #191
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
Maybe you can catch one on late-night TV. I love Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce, but it was another age. Only you know you well enough to know.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.

Old 03-08-2015, 05:17 AM   #192
Special Member

Jan 2011
O-H-I-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Perhaps you should be "concerned" that he already knows that and still likes slips. The two are certainly not mutually exclusive ...
Oh right, I forgot, the fact that the two premier movies of the collection haven't been restored is far less important than whether or not a stupid piece of cardboard is included.

And BTW, I doubt he knew these two films weren't restored, as the reviews don't mention it.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:21 AM   #193

Jan 2013
Lansing KS

Quote:
If you get TCM you can catch these movies on the channel somewhat routinely. If you stop by the TCM website you can do a search for Basil Rathbone to see what movies he was in are coming up over the next month or so, if you want to try watching one of the movies before buying the set.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:33 AM   #194
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Hero View Post
If you get TCM you can catch these movies on the channel somewhat routinely. If you stop by the TCM website you can do a search for Basil Rathbone to see what movies he was in are coming up over the next month or so, if you want to try watching one of the movies before buying the set.
Found a couple on Amazon video but I do not think they are restored
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60.
VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:02 AM   #195
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Oh right, I forgot, the fact that the two premier movies of the collection haven't been restored is far less important than whether or not a stupid piece of cardboard is included.

And BTW, I doubt he knew these two films weren't restored, as the reviews don't mention it.
Gimmie a break. The thread's not that long and anyone who's even perused it had a good shot at seeing about that problem. The point is : everyone doesn't have to share your proclivities, Mr. Cruise Director. Me, I'm not that into slips. If they're really cool I might leave them on, but they take up too much room so most get tossed in a box. But what's it to you if it's important to him? I mean, it's clearly important to you, but you could've pointed out the restoration limitation without bashing him about slips. I read the thread and bought the set anyway. It looks great. Do you disapprove of that as well? Should I have whined about an imperfection and passed on the set, herr commandant? Live and let live, pardner.

Old 03-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #196
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Probably not as a blind buy. Apart from Hound of The Baskervilles, none of the films are direct adaptations of the Conan Doyle stories (they take bits and pieces and mix them up with other stuff). In fact, after the first two films they shifted Holmes to the WW2 era to make him more "relevant to the times" and save on the costs of putting up a period production. Nigel Bruce's Watson is shown to be a bumbling buffoon that can't tie his shoelaces right. Rathbone's Holmes is good as the efficient and logical sleuth, but lacks the moodiness that is part of the character of the books.

Actually one way to see if you might like these film is to check out some of the Sherlock Holmes Radio Plays with Rathbone and Bruce - if you think those are okay, you are likely to appreciate the films as well. Being in the public domain they are available legally for free at sites like archive.org - Here's a Link
Old 03-12-2015, 05:12 AM   #197
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:

The reason there was such a push to restore the Universal films is that for years, they had only been widely available in poor public domain versions, and the original elements, such as they were, were rapidly deteriorating. It was a preservation issue, and one undertaken without a moment to spare. They're lucky they were able to get some of that film through a scanner without it literally coming apart.

This is not the case with the two Fox films. They are in no immediate danger of becoming "lost" films. Perhaps one day they will be remastered, but they are not in urgent need of restoration. The Universal series was.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America