Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit $6.00 (45% sold out)
Now: Silver Linings Playbook $6.00 (35% sold out)
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
1 hr ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 hr ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
17 hrs ago
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
15 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
16 hrs ago
The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.49
1 hr ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-03-2014, 02:59 AM   #921

Sep 2013

Just ordered this from BB haven't seen it in years can't wait.
Mr. Big: Names is for tombstones, baby.(Live and let die)
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #922

Aug 2012
Pennsylvania

So I just recently bought this as it is one of my favorite films and while doing some research found out something I thought I would ask about. The original Criterion Laserdisc has 2.35:1 listed as it's OAR however the OAR on this site is listed as 2.39:1. On the Blu-Ray however it is 2.40:1. I'm not an aficionado on aspect ratio but what one is right? They are all quite close I assume not much picture is lost?
Blu-Ray Wishlist
A Smoky Mountain Christmas, Foul Play, Psycho IV, 9 to 5,The Best Little Wh**ehouse in Texas,Panic Room, Prancer, One Magic Christmas, Mommie Dearest,The Witches,Red Eye,What Lies Beneath, Xanadu, Mulholland Drive, Lost Highway, Bewitched (TV Series)
Blue
iamamiwhoami
November 10th
Old 07-30-2014, 07:17 PM   #923
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmj1993 View Post
So I just recently bought this as it is one of my favorite films and while doing some research found out something I thought I would ask about. The original Criterion Laserdisc has 2.35:1 listed as it's OAR however the OAR on this site is listed as 2.39:1. On the Blu-Ray however it is 2.40:1. I'm not an aficionado on aspect ratio but what one is right? They are all quite close I assume not much picture is lost?
The terms are used interchangably. The aspect ratio started at 2.35:1, but was eventually shaved down a bit on the top and bottom so the splices between shots, which often show up as a white line, wouldn't be visible. 2.39:1 is the actual technical standard, as Croweyes points out below, but they all mean the same thing - anamorphic/scope

Last edited by James Luckard; 07-31-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Thanks given by:
ryanmj1993 (07-30-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #924
Special Member

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmj1993 View Post
Technically, it's 2.39:1. It often gets either simplified to 2.35:1 or rounded up to 2.40:1. But as far as the real numbers, it should be 2.39:1.

Check this out for more information (scroll to the "When 2.35 became 2.40" section):
http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/co...er-2013-part2/
"There are three types of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't".
http://smallvillesoundtrack.com

Last edited by Croweyes1121; 07-31-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
ryanmj1993 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #925

Feb 2008

So I have been in a Fincher mood and decided to give my least fav film of his another try so I got the Blu Ray. I have not seen this since it's release in theaters.

For me... Time has not been any kinder.
The film feels like a giant waste of time... Even more so with a second viewing because I know the end and what is going on.

I am sure this has been complained about before but don't any fans of the film have an issue with
[Show spoiler]His final jump that was perfectly through the glass ceiling with all the metal beams, and poles that would have surely killed him had he hit one... I know it's "just a movie" but come on... First you have to hope he picks the right side of the building.. second.. If his jump is just a fraction to one side or the other... He would be killed on the metal beams.... Add to that the fact that this film (from what I can tell) does not have a "Sixth Sense" sort of repeat viewing thing going on.. It's not like there a clues about what is happening so when you see it again you can say.. Oh yeah... I see how it's all set up. Like I said for me it just feels like one big waste of time because of the goofy ending.. Would have been better if he really did kill his brother... That would have been a nice twist.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #926
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
So I have been in a Fincher mood and decided to give my least fav film of his another try so I got the Blu Ray. I have not seen this since it's release in theaters.

The film feels like a giant waste of time... Even more so with a second viewing because I know the end and what is going on.

I am sure this has been complained about before but don't any fans of the film have an issue with
[Show spoiler]His final jump that was perfectly through the glass ceiling with all the metal beams, and poles that would have surely killed him had he hit one... I know it's "just a movie" but come on... First you have to hope he picks the right side of the building.. second.. If his jump is just a fraction to one side or the other... He would be killed on the metal beams.... Add to that the fact that this film (from what I can tell) does not have a "Sixth Sense" sort of repeat viewing thing going on.. It's not like there a clues about what is happening so when you see it again you can say.. Oh yeah... I see how it's all set up. Like I said for me it just feels like one big waste of time because of the goofy ending.. Would have been better if he really did kill his brother... That would have been a nice twist.
I think they somewhat address that by having Jim Feingold say, "If you didn't jump, I was gonna have to push you off".
And that obviously means "that side of the building". So in other words, if Michael Douglas was walking towards one of the other, incorrect sides, Feingold would have grabbed him and pushed him off the correct side.
Thanks given by:
hypnohighball (11-19-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 PM   #927

May 2009

Quote:

Well, yes, if you're incapable of suspending disbelief in a work of fiction I think you've got bigger problems. There is no such thing as a plot hole, merely contrivances.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 PM   #928
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
There is actually a line said in the film's final act:

[Show spoiler]I'm glad you jumped, otherwise I'd have to push you.

Which indicates everything was planned even contingencies.
Thanks given by:
Old 11-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #929

Nov 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:

I really liked this movie the first time I saw it. I have seen it multiple times since, and still enjoy it. As a matter of fact, The Game was the first DVD I purchased, and also the first Criterion blu ray for me too.

As far as your complaint is concerned, I do have to agree with you. Every time I see that scene where
[Show spoiler]Nicholas Van Orton jumps off the building, I think of how horribly wrong that could have went for everyone involved. Everything seemed so carefully planned, but how could they account for such a small area where there were no steel beams and also the placement of the inflatible balloon to break his fall. Thank goodness there was no wind to change his direction by even a few feet, or it would have been the worst birthday present ever.
Then again, the beauty of movies is it's where the impossible is possible.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:59 PM   #930
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Not to mention that the battery of tests Nicholas took was essentially to make his actions under certain circumstances more predictable. Sure, you can nitpick the ending, but you can nitpick anything. Or you can sit back and enjoy the ride.
Thanks given by:
Old 11-18-2014, 11:01 PM   #931

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLouisRibs View Post
Well, yes, if you're incapable of suspending disbelief in a work of fiction I think you've got bigger problems. There is no such thing as a plot hole, merely contrivances.
I never warmed to this movie exactly for the reasons mentioned above. It's not a question of suspending disbelief, since every movie would set out its stall and rules from the outset. You couldn't have a straight western movie play out and then have a dragon kill everyone at the very end for no good reason. This movie makes little sense and doesn't stand up to scrutiny as I recall from my only viewing upon release.

There are several movies that, in my opinion, treat the audience with contempt and this is one of them.....but not as badly as SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 PM   #932
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Wow...that dragon analogy is stretching more than a bit, isn't it? haha
Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 PM   #933
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
[Show spoiler]Perhaps there were failsafes in place, in the event he jumped off a different side of the building? Also, who is to say those beams were metal? Maybe they were props? That a stretch, I know, but so is the entire film.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:26 AM   #934
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
[Show spoiler]Perhaps there were failsafes in place, in the event he jumped off a different side of the building? Also, who is to say those beams were metal? Maybe they were props? That a stretch, I know, but so is the entire film.
What does everyone think the price was...the bill Sean Penn got...from CRS?

1.5mil?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #935
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Worth every penny.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:36 AM   #936
Special Member

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

I enjoyed the film
[Show spoiler]I love my "What is going on?" twisty stories but found the ending a bit too 'happy' - I thought Nicholas was going to jump without landing on anything and/or kill himself - fuelling thoughts the part with the party wasnt real. End of film
Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #937
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blu View Post
As far as your complaint is concerned, I do have to agree with you. Every time I see that scene where
[Show spoiler]Nicholas Van Orton jumps off the building, I think of how horribly wrong that could have went for everyone involved. Everything seemed so carefully planned, but how could they account for such a small area where there were no steel beams and also the placement of the inflatible balloon to break his fall. Thank goodness there was no wind to change his direction by even a few feet, or it would have been the worst birthday present ever.
Everyone talks about that scene...what about this one...it's
[Show spoiler]pure luck that nobody got killed here >>>

You just have to accept that it's a very dangerous game for everyone involved (and also for everyone not involved).
Old 11-21-2014, 02:48 AM   #938

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
I think they somewhat address that by having Jim Feingold say, "If you didn't jump, I was gonna have to push you off".
And that obviously means "that side of the building". So in other words, if Michael Douglas was walking towards one of the other, incorrect sides, Feingold would have grabbed him and pushed him off the correct side.
I thought of that... But you would have to assume he was not going to ru and jump to his death instead of a nice stroll.

Either way it does not excuse the small target he had to hit.

Quote:
I knew someone would say that... It's not like I was watching a Superhero/sci fi/ or horror movie.

Sure the film had some other moments of unbelief but you could explain it away (Scuba divers for the taxi scene) but the ending was just too much... Add onto the fact that the film does not IMO hold up to repeat viewings because there is no fun to seeing it in a different way when you know the ending... It's a twist for a twist sake... And not a very good one IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
There is actually a line said in the film's final act:

[Show spoiler]I'm glad you jumped, otherwise I'd have to push you.

Which indicates everything was planned even contingencies.
See what I said above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Blu View Post
I really liked this movie the first time I saw it. I have seen it multiple times since, and still enjoy it. As a matter of fact, The Game was the first DVD I purchased, and also the first Criterion blu ray for me too.

Agreed... However I never enjoyed the twist and felt it ruined the film and really ruins it for any repeat viewings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibon View Post
I never warmed to this movie exactly for the reasons mentioned above. It's not a question of suspending disbelief, since every movie would set out its stall and rules from the outset. You couldn't have a straight western movie play out and then have a dragon kill everyone at the very end for no good reason. This movie makes little sense and doesn't stand up to scrutiny as I recall from my only viewing upon release.

There are several movies that, in my opinion, treat the audience with contempt and this is one of them.....but not as badly as SWITCHBLADE ROMANCE.
Film takes itself too seriously to suspend disbelief to such an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Everyone talks about that scene...what about this one...it's
[Show spoiler]pure luck that nobody got killed here >>>

The Game (5/9) Movie CLIP - Deadly Cab Ride (1997) HD - YouTube

You just have to accept that it's a very dangerous game for everyone involved (and also for everyone not involved).

Yeah that is true.... She did say there where scuba divers but the impact of hitting the water could have killed him... Film is just silly IMO... No offence to the fans... The film looks great and has style... Just should not have been a "game"

Add that to the fact if anyone gave me that as a gift I would punch square in the face. That would have been a better ending.
Thanks given by:
oildude (11-21-2014)
Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #939
Expert Member

Mar 2012
Buffalo, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
What does everyone think the price was...the bill Sean Penn got...from CRS?

1.5mil?
Multiply that number by 10 to 20 and you might be closer....
Old 11-21-2014, 06:35 AM   #940
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

Probably my least favorite Fincher film (never saw Alien 3).

This movie has a lot of flaws. Yet I own it twice
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America