Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Aug 2010
United Kingdom Imax Arabia question

Hi all,

I've just watched the UK edition of the recently-released Imax movie, 'Arabia 3D' and have an issue with it.

While a good many of the shots in the movie have a great deal of depth there are enough that don't. In fact, I'd say nearly half the shots have no depth at all.

Having said that, I've noticed the same question could be applied to Disney's 'Tron Legacy' but there was a notice at the beginning of the movie that informed viewers of this. On the Imax film there was nothing.

So I'm wondering if I've got a faulty copy. Has any viewer come across this with their copy(UK or US)? If so, what have you done about it?

John.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

I bought ARABIA 3D after reading the review on this site. However I was quite disappointed for as you say, many, many shots were not filmed with 3D rigs, they look like just regular IMAX cameras were used and as such have ZERO depth or pop, nothing!!!!

At least half this movie isn't in 3D, and unlike TRON, it's quite random as to when it happens, sometimes it will be a single shot in a group of 3D shots, its just very distracting.

Also the main menu is reversed! Things that should be popped out are sunk in (like the titles and a couple graphic elements) hold your glasses to your face backwards while watching the main menu and you can see how it was meant to be seen, but somewhere along the road, the images were reversed!

All in all this is my most disappointing title on 3D! Don't believe the reviewer here on blu-ray.com that its a great release, not only is the 3D bad and half of it is non-existing, but it is also a very slow and dry presentation story wise too.

I have the region 1 US version. So its not a bad disc you have, just a bad presentation!!!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:34 PM   #3

Nov 2009

i own the US version also.. but i thought Arabia 3D was great in 3D.. i actually compare it to Ultimate Wave Tahiti 3D.. except one is on water and other is in the desert
Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #4

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

TAHITI is one of the best out there IMHO!! I use that as a demo disc all the time, there are many shots that show great depth and Pop-out effects. Plus EVERY single shot on it is in 3D.

Arabia has large expanses with nothing in 3D! There is zero 3D in many, many shots, as stated, about half of the show!

They don't even compare for this reason alone.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010

You've just learnt the first lesson about the reviews on this site, don't ever pay any attention to them
Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM   #6

Aug 2010
United Kingdom I'm not a happy bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasiafilmlover View Post
Hi all,

I've just watched the UK edition of the recently-released Imax movie, 'Arabia 3D' and have an issue with it.

While a good many of the shots in the movie have a great deal of depth there are enough that don't. In fact, I'd say nearly half the shots have no depth at all.

Having said that, I've noticed the same question could be applied to Disney's 'Tron Legacy' but there was a notice at the beginning of the movie that informed viewers of this. On the Imax film there was nothing.

So I'm wondering if I've got a faulty copy. Has any viewer come across this with their copy(UK or US)? If so, what have you done about it?

John.
I've decided that, after trying it out on my brand-new PS3, to get rid of it. It was no better on that one that it was when I played it in my Samsung 6900.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could let me know if they come across a better one than the UK version I'm getting rid of. I'd really like to keep it as it's an excellent documentary. But what's the use of playing a so-called 3D film that plainly isn't a 3D film(or rather, only in part)?

John.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 AM   #7

Oct 2011
Montreal,Canada

i just bought a 55 inch panny gt30, and this was the first 3d blu-ray i bought.. since thats the only blu-ray 3d i have for now. i gotta say i was even questioning the capabilities of my gt30. Thank God now i know that arabia 3d is not all 3d.... while the colors and over all quality is great however 3d sucks for most part in this documentary because there's only a handfull of 3d scenes. In my experience the underwater scenes in 3d and the beginning falcon scene inside the tent was good, but thats about it.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #8

Jan 2012

Yeah I think flatness on Arabia 3D seems to be a common complaint, the limited reviews for it on amazon.co.uk had one from a HD33 owner lamenting how un-3D certain shots looked and that was enough to put me, even though I'm a big fan of the IMAX titles normally.
Active: 120 inch Optoma HD33 DLP FullHD 3D Projector
Passive: 27 inch LG 3D TV
Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #9

Mar 2010
Brazil

Is the UK edition of Arabia 3D Region Free or Region B locked?

I understand that the 3D is not impressive, but if I want to watch it in 2D will the documentary be at least interesting?
Paul McCartney Concerts:
07.11.2010 - Porto Alegre / 21-22.11.2010 - São Paulo / 09.05.2011 - Lima / 11.05.2011 - Santiago / 22-23.05.2011 - Rio de Janeiro / 15.04.2012 - Montevideo / 17.04.2012 - Asunción / 21-22.04.2012 - Recife / 25.04.2012 - Florianópolis / 04.05.2013 - Belo Horizonte / 06.05.203 - Goiânia / 09.05.2013 - Fortaleza
Ringo Starr Concerts:
12.11.2011 - São Paulo / 20.11.2011 - Recife
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies