Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Pacific (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Only Yesterday (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$12.09
The Return of Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Angry Birds Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.50
McCabe & Mrs. Miller (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Chimes at Midnight (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.49
Ballers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection (Blu-ray)
$64.58
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$9.47
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #361
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

For some, it probably does ruin the film. But, like I said before, English dubbed releases have the tendency for a foreign film to reach a wider audience. Sure, we have argue that English dubs are horrible but if a foreign film that is released with an English dub is selling 25% more copies and movie fans who had not considered foreign films before are now buying the film because of the English dub, this can only be considered a good thing.

Because, the way I see it, those additional sales from consumers who purchased these films with the English dub, just motivate these companies here in North America to license even more foreign films. I guess, what I'm trying to say here is that, whether we see English dubs as not being very good, they are actually serving a purpose, and that's to introduce new movie fans to these films. I just don't see how this is a bad thing.

If we only wanted serious hardcore movie fans to enjoy these films, then I could see the point in not releasing a film with an English dub. But, what we should be doing, as fans of these films, is convincing other consumers to purchase these current releases because that allows these companies to release even more Asian cinema.

I don't know about you guys, but it is never a bad thing when more movie fans are discovering these wonderful films. Ip Man is an excellent film and I'm just waiting to purchase Ip Man 2 (going to head to Best Buy this week to pick it up). But, if it hadn't been for me discovering that Ip Man had an English dub audio track, I would never have purchased it and I would never have come to experience this film. The English audio track simply encouraged me to purchase the film, and that is never a bad thing. The more sales for a title means that more films get licensed.

Besides, I've always enjoyed Donnie Yen's work. I actually enjoyed that film released by Dragon Dynasty, Kill Zone, with Sammo Hung Kam-Bo.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #362
Power Member

Aug 2009

Some of us may consider English dubs of foreign films like full screen cuts of Widescreen films or colorizations of B&W films.

Yes, all those are done to gain audience/customers but, at what cost artistically?

Some customers refuse to; read subtitles, watch B&W films or have those black bars on the top & bottom of their 4:3 CRT TVs. Many film fans think adding color ruins the directors intent, shadows, etc. Dubbing substitutes the actors' performance with that of completely different actors. Cropping removes information & completely changes the director's composition.

Yet, the arguments for more customers obviously prevailed as these (terrible, IMO) modifications have certainly been made. Much more common with DVDs than with BDs.

There exists a company that actually edits out the “objectionable” bits from films to make them “Family Friendly!” <GRIN>
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #363
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Just received my copy of Ip Man 2 on Blu-ray and I enjoyed watching it with its English audio track. Awesome. I'll be posting my positive review on this wonderful English audio track.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #364
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #365

Jan 2014
Canada

With Ip Man 3 coming, any opinion on it?
Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #366

Nov 2009

I had planned on getting it on release but I have heard some mixed reviews on it so I will hold off and buy it used for cheap.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:24 AM   #367
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

I imported all 3 blurays from Hong Kong. Watched them with the original Cantonese audio and English subtitles. Awesome. Never like watching movies with dubbed audio.

Even for anime, I watch them with Japanese audio with English sub.
Trust No One
Old 04-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #368

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiryuMK View Post
With Ip Man 3 coming, any opinion on it?
From the Ip Man 3 thread in the Asian forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Caught the aurally overloaded HK BD recently, found Ip Man 3 to be a frustratingly uneven final chapter (which according to reports might not be so final). It's a Wilson Yip film so obviously it panders to the crowds with the most cloyingly cheap melodrama and xenophobic attitudes (all westerners in this are referred to a "foreign devils") and that can be hard to stomach.

The first half of the film is the problem, the plotline concerns Tyson's character muscling in on local territory by hiring an idiotic local gang leader to strong-arm a head teacher into selling his primary school, which happens to be frequented by the children of Ip Man and Cheung Tin-chi, an impoverished Wing Chun expert pulling rickshaws until he earns enough money to start his own school (and isn't above doing dirty work for the idiotic gang leader for extra cash). The film is borderline unwatchable when all this shit is going down because the plotting is just ridiculous and the racial undertones very annoying, but during all this nonsense there's another theme on the backburner that's continued from the previous entries in the series of Ip Man neglecting his duties as a husband to his hottie wife who's about half a foot taller than him (seriously guys, stop putting Xiong Dailin in heels when she has to share a scene with Donnie Yen, she looks like she's about to devour him!).

Anyway this subplot moves to the fore in the second half when she's diagnosed with cancer and Ip Man has to get his priorities right, which coincides with the inexplicably rapid conclusion of Mike Tyson's plotline so we can switch straight into full melodrama mode, but it's the right type of melodrama this time and it's actually moving in places, mostly because Donnie Yen's performance is excellent (maybe a career highlight) and we've grown to love these characters by now, right?

Yuen Woo Ping replaces Sammo as Action Director this time round and that comes with the usual strengths and weaknesses, the action is creative and frenetic but it lacks the impact and authenticity that Sammo brought to the previous films. Wing Chun as a martial arts form is well represented overall, but Woo Ping clearly doesn't really understand boxing and choreographs Tyson as if he was using Streetfighter II as a storyboard reference. Don't get me wrong the fight between him and Yen is good stuff, it's just not really Boxing vs Wing Chun, it's Tyson shuffling through a Yuen Woo Ping fight sequence.

But hey, a Yuen Woo Ping fight sequence is usually pretty great and the final fight delivers (even if Ping relies a little too much on recycled shots/poses these days), but the real action highlight of the film is a brilliant little fight sequence where Ip Man is accosted by a Thai fighter as he's exiting a hospital with his wife. The action starts off in a lift Three Days of the Condor style and then continues down the floors as Cheung Wing-sing rides the lift down. This is kinda the turning point of the film because it's a superb fight sequence counterpointed beautifully by Cheung's concern for her husband's safety, giving us grounded, realistic drama for the first time.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:52 AM   #369
Power Member

Mar 2015

Ip Man 3 have a with slipcover. I checked DTS-X audio.
My AV/receiver 7.1.4 channels. DTS-X rulz. My old subwoofer is still alive eD audio A5-350 15" inches and 500 watts.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:12 PM   #370

Jan 2010
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
Comes from Hong Kong.
HKFlix ships from Oakland.
HKFlix still open? I thought they closed years ago!
BD Wishlist: Hanzo The Razor, Sleepy Eyes of Death Series, Samurai Assassin, Samurai Rebellion, Red Lion, Legend of the Drunken Master (Remastered/Uncut), Magnificent Butcher, Bloodsport (Remastered), Dragon Forever, Who Am I, Musa, House of Flying Daggers (Remastered), Undisputed II, Lone Wolf & Cub Series (Criterion?) Most Wanted: Wu Xia (DVDPrime Exclusive Limited Edition / Plain Archive) / Gravity (Luxe Edition)
Old 04-26-2016, 07:50 PM   #371
Suspended

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhslancers View Post
I had planned on getting it on release but I have heard some mixed reviews on it so I will hold off and buy it used for cheap.
Skipping this one. Don't need a Blu starring a convicted rapist in my collection.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America