Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$27.75
27 min ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #41

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hawkins View Post
So you weren't kidding. They are 3 ohm speakers at least according to the manual found here.
http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3283028111.pdf

So I would not use these speakers. I mean you could hook them up and sound may come out but you may have a tug of war with the amp and the speakers on what will wear out first. I would just avoid that in general.

Secondly, our references to a better sounding amp would not matter. You would probably never hear it. With speakers this bad I would say buy speakers first but your amp is rated at 3 ohms. I could see no other rating for ohms in the manual. SO....

Sounds like you need both. Speakers and a Receiver. So it might be a larger purchase then you were thinking about. But at least nothing is going to get ruined.
Can i start with a Polk Audio RM705 or Energy 5.1 Take Classic?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2
Old 03-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #42

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella17 View Post
Can i start with a Polk Audio RM705 or Energy 5.1 Take Classic?
Sure!

I know that Xander, a member that I am friends with (you could probably pm him if you want), just picked up the Energy Take 5.0 system and loved it.

Before we get too far, what size is the room in which you will be using this setup? Is this for a living room or a dedicated room? Knowing how much room you have to fill with the speakers can help me at least point you in the right direction.
TV/Bluray Player Panasonic TC-P55ST30, PS3 Slim 120 Gb
Receiver/Power Marantz SR5004, Yamaha M-45
SpeakersWharfedale 10.1 front R & L, AV123 ELT Rocket center x2, Klipsch Synergy Quintets
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos Super Towers (ST), Preamp: Marantz SR4023, Amp: Yamaha MX 800, Player: Elite DV-47Ai, Windows7 machine using iTunes, FiO D3 DAC
Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #43

Jan 2013

So I got my Ethernet cable today. Air Play is pretty cool. I honestly don't know how much I will use it, but I'm sure it will come in handy from time to time. I also got the iPad and iPhone apps that act as a remote control. They are pretty cool too. Seeing as I have both by my side all the time, it's actually quite convenient.

So overall I am very happy with the RX-V573, especially for the price.

EDIT: I see myself using Air Play a heck of a lot more than I thought I would. I also think I will be using the Internet Radio frequently. The iPad app is freakin' awesome!
TV - Samsung 65" LED UN65FH6001, Samsung 50" Plasma PN50C540G3FXZC
Blu Ray Player - PS3 Slim 320 GB, Samsung BD-D5700
Receiver - Yamaha RX-V573
Centre Channel - Pioneer S-H053C-K,
Front Speakers - Paradigm bookshelf speakers,
Surround Speakers - Energy Connoisseur CB-10
Rear Speakers - Dynamic Audio Pro Poly Series 1901
SUBS - Polk PSW-108, Sony SA-WMSP4

Last edited by CanadianEH; 03-13-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #44

Nov 2012
Default Monitor RX6 Receiver/Amplifier

Hey everybody. I guess I do not have enough post to start my own thread. I thought I would piggy-back this one since I am looking for a receiver.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 arriving this Friday. Could anyone recommend a good receiver that will really make these speakers shine? What are your thoughts on Pioneer Elite (SC-68), Yamaha Aventage (A3020) or maybe Marantz (SR7007), Onkyo TX-NR5009? Are they overpriced "Bells and Whistles" receivers? I was told to give these speakers decent power...not sure whether that is true or not. Just not sure I have to spend that kind of money to get incredible sound. My price range is $700-$1700. I will add a subwoofer and surrounds later. 50/50 Home Theater and Music.

What about a good amplifier with mid-priced receiver with internet and excellent video upscaler?

Thanks

Last edited by RazorBack; 03-14-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:42 AM   #45

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBack View Post
Hey everybody. I guess I do not have enough post to start my own thread. I thought I would piggy-back this one since I am looking for a receiver.

I have a pair of Monitor Audio RX6 arriving this Friday. Could anyone recommend a good receiver that will really make these speakers shine? What are your thoughts on Pioneer Elite (SC-68), Yamaha Aventage (A3020) or maybe Marantz (SR7007), Onkyo TX-NR5009? Are they overpriced "Bells and Whistles" receivers? I was told to give these speakers decent power...not sure whether that is true or not. Just not sure I have to spend that kind of money to get incredible sound. My price range is $700-$1700. I will add a subwoofer and surrounds later. 50/50 Home Theater and Music.

What about a good amplifier with mid-priced receiver with internet and excellent video upscaler?

Thanks
Please tell us a bit more about your listening habits(how loud how often ect..), room size, listening distance and anything else you may find relevant. The more info the community has the better advice you will receive.

Not knowing any of the above I'd go straight to saying get a decent AVR and external amplifiers, why? Because that's what I have , and well you can't have to much power. With more info the advice could change.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio LSi9 || Center - PolkAudio LSiC || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor OWM3 || Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505 || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #46

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Please tell us a bit more about your listening habits(how loud how often ect..), room size, listening distance and anything else you may find relevant. The more info the community has the better advice you will receive.

Not knowing any of the above I'd go straight to saying get a decent AVR and external amplifiers, why? Because that's what I have , and well you can't have to much power. With more info the advice could change.
Im with Remo. All of those amps are really nice but you only mentioned two speakers. What else do you have? You could do a lesser receiver and do a nice amp for the fronts. But once again, need more....
SpeakersWharfedale 10.1 front R & L, AV123 ELT Rocket center x2, Klipsch Synergy Quintets
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Speakers: Definitive Technology Mythos Super Towers (ST), Preamp: Marantz SR4023, Amp: Yamaha MX 800, Player: Elite DV-47Ai, Windows7 machine using iTunes, FiO D3 DAC
Old 03-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #47

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post

Remo & Jim,

Thanks for responding. At this point, I will have the Monitor RX6 and a Boston Acoustic Center Channel speaker that I had for several years. I know it is ideal to timbre match speakers. I plan to timbre match with a Monitor Center Channel, Surrounds plus a subwoofer as budget permits. The subwoofer will be purchased within a couple of weeks. Probably a HSU or Rythmik.

Listening and viewing distance is about 15 feet. While my wife and I like to listen to music at moderate levels and movies somewhat loud accompanied with the rumble of a subwoofer, we do not listen at ear splitting reference levels. I want to hear things in my music and movies that I never heard before. I listened to the RS6 several years ago with a Chesky CD and was blown away. I recently demo'd the RX6 and just loved them.

I like the idea of the external amplifier and a good mid-priced solid receiver with all the fun Bells & Whistles the receiver offers like SiriusXM, Pandora, high rated video upscaler, pre-outs etc etc. Maybe the Marantz SR5007 with Emotiva XPA5? That Emotiva is huge. Will have to take the measurements in my rack system to ensure it will fit. I've seen mixed reviews on Emotiva though. My budget for the amp/receiver or lone receiver is $1,500. I was told by another forum member that he would not spend over $1,000 for a receiver. Maybe $700 for receiver and $800 for nice amp. Obviously the cheaper the better....

Let me kow if you guys need more information.

Cheers,
rb

Last edited by RazorBack; 03-14-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #48

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

For my money I would a receiver and get a two channel amp. Your Receiver should be able to handle the center and rears just fine. We are talking about just 5.1?

I would suggest a few receivers (All have preouts, 3D and Networking, all from Accessories4less cause I have found they are dang cheap even considering that its refurb):
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...AirPlay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...AirPlay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Amps:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/.../products/xpa3
$599 Nice deal for a two channel amp at that rating new. Even better that its three.

Pretty sweet vintageish
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONKYO-M-504-...item1e7847ce49

Also, a quick glance has a few Emotive XPA 2 amps there as well.

Hope this helps!
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Old 03-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #49

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

also this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-M-85-...item5d3bae843e
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #50

Jun 2011
Everett, WA

Reviews on the M85
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...8_1583crx.aspx

Ok, I will stop now.
Sub Klipsch RT 10D,
HiFi Setup
Old 03-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #51

Nov 2008
Orange County, CA

I'm in this same boat right now, but I would stay away from anything Onkyo. I've had my 609 for just over a year and the HDMI board is already going out. I've read that this is a pretty common issue with Onkyo. I was looking at the 616 to replace this one and read that it's got firmware upgrade issues. Now looking seriously at the Denon 1913 to replace the Onk. I'll then send the Onk back to them under warranty and have them fix the board and sell it off to recoup some of the cost.
Heath
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers