COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$30.00
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Apollo 18 (Blu-ray)
$7.79

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 AM   #5061
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Superman Three meant to inspire philosophical, moral, and/or spiritual thought processes?
:As bad as it was, it still does better service to the actual character himself than MOS does.
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

PSN COLLECTION: Angry Birds, Bomberman Ultra, Flower, Joust, LBP: Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, Magic Orbz, Super Stardust HD, Trials Of Topoq, Wipeout HD.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #5062
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Nah dude you got it twisted. I saw Superman in the theatre in 77 and its still great despite him turning the Earth backwards. Im not stuck on that interpretation and realize that after years of Superman being boring to the general public, they went it a more modern take to compete with the landscape of current superhero films. Superman has to get cool again especially with DC trying to compete with Marvels impact on the game.
And im on record changing my opinion on Returns, appreciating a more subtle take and Donner referencing version.
Superman should never be completely cool. He should always be a bit of a square and yes fight for truth, justice and the American way. I've talked about this before on here but when I went to see Superman: The Movie theatrically in NYC and when that "Truth, justice and the American way" line came up, the whole audience burst into applause.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #5063
Special Member

Jul 2011
Buffalofart, AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
:As bad as it was, it still does better service to the actual character himself than MOS does.
You mean by straightening the Leaning Tower of Pisa, getting drunk (and being a nuisance in the bar), and having promiscuous sex?

'Man of Steel' could've used some that, actually.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #5064
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
Superman should never be completely cool. He should always be a bit of a square and yes fight for truth, justice and the American way. I've talked about this before on here but when I went to see Superman: The Movie theatrically in NYC and when that "Truth, justice and the American way" line came up, the whole audience burst into applause.
I agree Superman shouldnt be completely cool, but he has to at least not look too "old-fashioned" compared to the Nolan Batman, Nolan-esque Killing Green Arrow, and a modern 20-something Flash on its way.
Classic/Traditional can still be tweaked/remixed to fit modern ideas. Like in Avengers w/ Capt. America when Colson says "we could use a little old fashioned now."

This Boy Scout image is classic but its also a prison for an audience who is stuck on ONE interpretation. Miller already showed you how detrimental that is in the Dark Knight Returns. As much as he repped the flag, he was no Uncle Sam robot during the 40's when he was throwing gangsters out of the window. There have too many stories where he's flown through alien spaceships and killed opponents....and not in self defense.

The brooding Nolan-esque take on Clark as the loner/lost alien is kinda off-base from what weve seen, but he's that universal where its not that much of a stretch to have him have a couple of years of being in a identity funk. Donner hinted towards this when Clark leaves for The Fortress, but it seemed like he stayed there and joined civilization. Historically its seems he doesnt lose himself due to his strong Kansas upbringing. Shoot...i read him as going to the future w/ the Legion as a teen up until he leaves for Metropolis and never doubted himself throughout his youth.

Im skeptical on the "cool" Superman in this New 52 (check the WAR Bluray) who isnt the stoic classic leader, but a slightly arrogant & sure of himself, which is kinda contradictory to a humble farm kid that I grew up with.

It tough cause in these post-90's extreme anti-hero favored times since Wolverine went from unknown team player to cereal boxes, Superman has to stay in the race in comics and on screen.

But heroes go through changes. Some Kids think Batman should always be "dark". Anyone w/ a sense of history knows that isnt that case. The superhero genre beyond the comic has greatly benefitted from Batman's 50's out of this world comics and 60's Camp on TV. And he eventually went back to the "dark". Superman can absorb modern spins & slightly change up and still return to his archetype.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #5065

Sep 2013

Finally picked up the 3D Tin Box since it hit the right price point $25.

I was bummed I didn't get it at Walmart. I did get the Target exclusive digibook and if the price comes down on the Walmart Man Of Steelbook I'll pick that up too.

I enjoyed the movie but thought the fight scenes at the end went too long.

But in the end Zack Snyder is no Christopher Nolan. Unlike the Dark Knight Trilogy, Man Of Steel reboot was not a game changer.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #5066

Jun 2012
Chicago, IL

I kind of wish I didn't buy the collector's edition and instead would have bought Wal-Mart's steelbook. Oh wellz.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #5067
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

His character can be expressed by, I don't know, his actions as apposed to his suit.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #5068
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo68 View Post
Yeah. He's Kal-El even though he has not yet met Jor-El. (And by the way, the best scene in the movie was the "power freak out" at the school.) Nothing else is all that memorable in the film. Just a loud CGI fest. Cool! Another building has toppled! Cool! He broke Zod's neck!

Yeah and that new movie seems like a rush to get the characters together on screen. DC saw what The Avengers made and want that Avenger money. Actually the Avengers is a good case in point. Plenty of action but also some great character moments and conflict but never straying too far from what the essence of the characters are.
I feel the best, if not most powerful moment in the film, for me, is
[Show spoiler]young Clark's talk with Jonathan, regarding whether or not he should have saved the kids on the bus, leading to Jonathan revealing Clark's origins...
A very poignant, and powerful, scene, full of character keys.
Gear:
Monitor Audio RS 6's 6.1
Definitive Technology Super Cube 1
Oppo BDP-103
Oppo Dv-981
Pioneer ELITE VSX-92
Panamax M 5400-EX
SAMSUNG 8500

Last edited by The Dragon; 07-24-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 PM   #5069
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
I feel the best, if not most powerful moment in the film, for me, is
[Show spoiler]young Clark's talk with Jonathan, regarding whether or not he should have saved the kids on the bus, leading to Jonathan revealing Clark's origins...
A very poignant, and powerful, scene, full of character keys.
It's a very good scene but Jonathan's fears of Clarke been discovered aren't really followed through. The team that goes to the Artic aren't really billed as alien-hunters, just military scientists. They could have expanded upon that but it's all moot when Zod and his rebels show themselves to the world! I'm sure the xenophobia will be pushed further in the next movie with Luthor leading the charge.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 07-24-2014, 04:47 PM   #5070

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It's a very good scene but Jonathan's fears of Clarke been discovered aren't really followed through. The team that goes to the Artic aren't really billed as alien-hunters, just military scientists. They could have expanded upon that but it's all moot when Zod and his rebels show themselves to the world! I'm sure the xenophobia will be pushed further in the next movie with Luthor leading the charge.
Pa Kent 1978: You aren't here to score touchdowns.

Pa Kent 2013: Maybe you should have let children die.

That's not cool. And not in the "not cool" way being discussed.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #5071
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeflick View Post
That's not cool. And not in the "not cool" way being discussed.
I think Jonathan fears that Clarke will be put under the microscope if ever discovered and he'll be no longer able to protect him. I do wonder if Clarke and come home letting dozens of children drown, how would he react?
How would you feel if your child did nothing and let people die? I'd want my son to do the right thing!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 07-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #5072
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009

Quote:
I think Jonathan fears that Clarke will be put under the microscope if ever discovered and he'll be no longer able to protect him. I do wonder if Clarke and come home letting dozens of children drown, how would he react?
How would you feel if your child did nothing and let people die? I'd want my son to do the right thing!
People on the S. Side of Chicago do it all the time... They call it SNITCHES GET STITCHES.

Smh.
Gear:
Monitor Audio RS 6's 6.1
Definitive Technology Super Cube 1
Oppo BDP-103
Oppo Dv-981
Pioneer ELITE VSX-92
Panamax M 5400-EX
SAMSUNG 8500
Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #5073
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011

Quote:
It's a very good scene but Jonathan's fears of Clarke been discovered aren't really followed through.
So the Tornado Sacrifice is an isolated incident?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America