COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Twice Upon a Christmas (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cat Planet Cuties: Complete Series S.A.V.E. (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy (Blu-ray)
$14.66
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Old 08-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #441
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
It won't happen then.
They've been working long on this restoration of year 2. Do you have any evidence that it won't happen or are you just being negative? Have you actually read the relevant comments by those involved in the project?

I'm disappointed like all the fans that year 2 hasn't happened yet. It should have been released years ago. But they have been working on it, so it would seem ridiculous to drop the project at this point. Gerry Anderson has a worldwide cult following for his tv shows. I find it hard to believe that his shows wouldn't sell on blu-ray.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #442

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
It won't happen then.
The real problem is that Network is having to put all the money upfront. A&E is a cheap and rotten company with people that don't know their ass from their elbow. Now that Lionsgate is distributing A&E's releases it makes for more of a mess.
The restoration of SPACE: 1999 was initiated years ago. I was their consultant for 8 years and worked with a team of lame so called professionals that didn't even know what 5.1 was. (they referred to it as 5 dot 1). At the time A&E had hired a company, New Video, to handle their home video releases. That company was small and had a bunch of idiots who didn't even know what a "disclaimer" was. Bonus materials were new to them and they had never produced an audio commentary prior to my arrival.
When they opted to released SPACE they were delivered masters that no one checked. When I did I found horrible old out of date quality and asked for new ones to be struck. It seems the agreement was inspection within 30 days with possible request for replacement, but because no one had looked they were forced to used what was sent. That was the original DVD release of SPACE. When it came time for Yr.2 I inspected the mastered and found them to be just as bad. Luckily I had a great working relationship with a person in L.A. who worked for Carlton/Granada and she retelecined Yr 2 with incredible results.
I sent the parent company who own the rights to the I.T.C. catalog, in the UK a proposal for a restoration/remastering of both Yr1 & Yr2. It was agreed that the cost be shared in thirds, Granada, Network and A&E.
A&E backed out of the deal leaving a gap. Network has already announced a release and had to spring forward and take up the slack. Originally Granada was going to produce a new 5.1 mix but it would not make it in time for Network's scheduled release - so Network took over. They also produced their own bonus materials. Archival bonus materials were compiled years prior by myself and already mastered.
I knew a director (from a previous restoration I had worked on) that was friends with SPACE: 1999 Producer, Gerry Anderson. I spoke to Gerry and he had more material but wanted too much money so it was turned down.
After Yr 1 was released I was contacted by Granada to make a list of problems I had found with the audio for Yr2 DVD release so they could be addressed in the restoration and the HD masters.
From what I've heard through my contacts the restoration of Yr2 and re-mastering is complete. We in North America are just waiting for the rights holder, A&E to get their ass in gear. That won't happen since they won't produce any bonus materials. Network who has the right for the UK are planning to release Yr 2 but they also want to do it right and have newly produced bonus materials. They have their own agenda and schedule to commit to and I don't blame them for taking their time since Yr2 is less popular in the UK than in North America - it's just not a priority for them.
Blame it on A&E.
Of all the companies to have gotten the rights for North America it had to be a second rate one.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #443

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

I have given up.
Panasonic 60vt60
Pioneer EliteSC61- Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI
Pioneer Elite 05FD
Pioneer 51FD
2 OPPO83'S Two S-VHS vcr's
SVS SB12 NSD
Paradigm Studio 10 v.5's &490cc
Paradigm Signature 2's Acurus A200
Old 08-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #444

Feb 2010

I haven't as of yet. But I DO wish it to be done sometime in my remaining lifetime. I'm going to be 60 in about 5 months.

I remember the show from when it was originally run in the US. I do have to say that the season 1 BD looks even better than when I first saw the shows on TV [resolution and broadcast was crappy then].

I have the DVD Megaset so at least that way I can watch the Season 2 episodes that way.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #445
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditcin View Post
The real problem is that Network is having to put all the money upfront. A&E is a cheap and rotten company with people that don't know their ass from their elbow. Now that Lionsgate is distributing A&E's releases it makes for more of a mess.
The restoration of SPACE: 1999 was initiated years ago. I was their consultant for 8 years and worked with a team of lame so called professionals that didn't even know what 5.1 was. (they referred to it as 5 dot 1). At the time A&E had hired a company, New Video, to handle their home video releases. That company was small and had a bunch of idiots who didn't even know what a "disclaimer" was. Bonus materials were new to them and they had never produced an audio commentary prior to my arrival.
When they opted to released SPACE they were delivered masters that no one checked. When I did I found horrible old out of date quality and asked for new ones to be struck. It seems the agreement was inspection within 30 days with possible request for replacement, but because no one had looked they were forced to used what was sent. That was the original DVD release of SPACE. When it came time for Yr.2 I inspected the mastered and found them to be just as bad. Luckily I had a great working relationship with a person in L.A. who worked for Carlton/Granada and she retelecined Yr 2 with incredible results.
I sent the parent company who own the rights to the I.T.C. catalog, in the UK a proposal for a restoration/remastering of both Yr1 & Yr2. It was agreed that the cost be shared in thirds, Granada, Network and A&E.
A&E backed out of the deal leaving a gap. Network has already announced a release and had to spring forward and take up the slack. Originally Granada was going to produce a new 5.1 mix but it would not make it in time for Network's scheduled release - so Network took over. They also produced their own bonus materials. Archival bonus materials were compiled years prior by myself and already mastered.
I knew a director (from a previous restoration I had worked on) that was friends with SPACE: 1999 Producer, Gerry Anderson. I spoke to Gerry and he had more material but wanted too much money so it was turned down.
After Yr 1 was released I was contacted by Granada to make a list of problems I had found with the audio for Yr2 DVD release so they could be addressed in the restoration and the HD masters.
From what I've heard through my contacts the restoration of Yr2 and re-mastering is complete. We in North America are just waiting for the rights holder, A&E to get their ass in gear. That won't happen since they won't produce any bonus materials. Network who has the right for the UK are planning to release Yr 2 but they also want to do it right and have newly produced bonus materials. They have their own agenda and schedule to commit to and I don't blame them for taking their time since Yr2 is less popular in the UK than in North America - it's just not a priority for them.
Blame it on A&E.
Of all the companies to have gotten the rights for North America it had to be a second rate one.
Thanks for some excellent information. You have provided some great info on the backstory of what is going on with Space:1999 on home video, thanks to your experience with it over the years. Shame that A&E had to get the rights to this. I remember your posts previously about year 2 on DVD - it's amazing how good it looks considering the conditions.

So then year 2 remastering is done. Very interesting. Does this explain why year 2 is on Hulu in HD now? I just learned about this yesterday, and I was wondering how they could have gotten year 2 in HD. It seems Hulu has UFO in HD also.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM   #446

Apr 2011
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Thanks for some excellent information. You have provided some great info on the backstory of what is going on with Space:1999 on home video, thanks to your experience with it over the years. Shame that A&E had to get the rights to this. I remember your posts previously about year 2 on DVD - it's amazing how good it looks considering the conditions.

So then year 2 remastering is done. Very interesting. Does this explain why year 2 is on Hulu in HD now? I just learned about this yesterday, and I was wondering how they could have gotten year 2 in HD. It seems Hulu has UFO in HD also.
Yes, no doubt. The Yr2 episode THE METAMORPH has been done for years which is why it was added as a bonus to the Yr1 Blu-ray release - in the original MONO, and no 5.1..... yet.
The Yr2 Two Part Episode, BRINGERS OF WONDER has also been screen at a UK fan event.
I wouldn't be surprised if Granada is leaving the series in MONO and waiting for Network to pay for the new 5.1 mix.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #447

May 2014

Anyone know if the Season 1 Blu set from A&E is out-of-print? On Amazon, it's only available from second-hand sellers. I've been putting off buying it until Season 2 came out, but I should probably buy now when it's still at a good price. And is the Season 2 set we're all waiting on going to be coming from A&E as well? It would be weird if season 1 remained OOP whenever/if season 2 ever comes out.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 PM   #448
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
Anyone know if the Season 1 Blu set from A&E is out-of-print? On Amazon, it's only available from second-hand sellers. I've been putting off buying it until Season 2 came out, but I should probably buy now when it's still at a good price. And is the Season 2 set we're all waiting on going to be coming from A&E as well? It would be weird if season 1 remained OOP whenever/if season 2 ever comes out.
Assuming it actually is OOP and not just temporarily out of stock, I would imagine it would go back in print IF season 2 ever comes out. Or maybe they will just package it as a "complete series" this time?

It would be highly unusual for them to just leave the first season OOP while the 2nd season is made available. That being said, if there are any doubts about it going OOP it would probably be smart to get it now.
Thanks given by:
schlock (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #449

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis View Post
I haven't as of yet. But I DO wish it to be done sometime in my remaining lifetime. I'm going to be 60 in about 5 months.

I remember the show from when it was originally run in the US. I do have to say that the season 1 BD looks even better than when I first saw the shows on TV [resolution and broadcast was crappy then].

I have the DVD Megaset so at least that way I can watch the Season 2 episodes that way.
I still have my A&E DVD's from 2001 of year 2. They look bad after i got the year 1 BD.
Panasonic 60vt60
Pioneer EliteSC61- Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI
Pioneer Elite 05FD
Pioneer 51FD
2 OPPO83'S Two S-VHS vcr's
SVS SB12 NSD
Paradigm Studio 10 v.5's &490cc
Paradigm Signature 2's Acurus A200
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
space 1999