Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #281
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
That's because it's a romance.

Noting quite like the condescending eye roll, is there ?

That's exactly why calling it Bram Stocker's Dracula is farcical. What's the point of filming the most famous horror novel of all time and then turning it into a flouncy romance, which btw was a far from original approach. Nosferatu and John Badham's Dracula had taking a similar approach, but their films still were horrific in places. This film is art-directed to death, but it never feels remotely atmospheric or unsettling, it just sits there and looks pretty.

I remember being excited that someone was finally going to do a faithful adaptation of the novel, as Coppola was claiming at the time and then it missed the mark far more than most.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #282
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Noting quite like the condescending eye roll, is there ?

That's exactly why calling it Bram Stocker's Dracula is farcical. What's the point of filming the most famous horror novel of all time and then turning it into a flouncy romance, which btw was a far from original approach. Nosferatu and John Badham's Dracula had taking a similar approach, but their films still were horrific in places. This film is art-directed to death, but it never feels remotely atmospheric or unsettling, it just sits there and looks pretty.

I remember being excited that someone was finally going to do a faithful adaptation of the novel, as Coppola was claiming at the time and then it missed the mark far more than most.
Content Before Packaging
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #283
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
I suppose an eloquent counter argument is beyond you. This incessant gif and smilie crap is not what I call a discussion about film.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 10-27-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #284
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I suppose an eloquent counter argument is beyond you. This incessant gif and smilie crap is not what I call a discussion about film.
That's because you're not discussing the film, you're just shouting but not listening.
Content Before Packaging
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #285
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
London, UK

Quote:
That's because you're not discussing the film, you're just shouting but not listening.
There is not much to listen to when you say nothing that actually engages with what I was saying and communicate in smiles and gifs more than with an intelligent argument.

Yes, I get it, Coppola turned the book into a feeble romance. I actually saw the film, that didn't pass me by. But again: why put the name of the author of the novel in the title when the film then runs completely counter to what the book was about ? Because the book isn't a romance in the modern sense and Dracula isn't a romantic hero, he's the ultimate evil. Why not call it something like "When Dracula Met Mina" ? (joke!)
Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #286
Expert Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Is this thread ever going to be about Bram Stoker's Dracula???
WHat is this to talk about? We hae already discussed the movie and the BD's massive short comings.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #287

Nov 2012

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America