Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM   #281
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
That's because it's a romance.



Noting quite like the condescending eye roll, is there ?

That's exactly why calling it Bram Stocker's Dracula is farcical. What's the point of filming the most famous horror novel of all time and then turning it into a flouncy romance, which btw was a far from original approach. Nosferatu and John Badham's Dracula had taking a similar approach, but their films still were horrific in places. This film is art-directed to death, but it never feels remotely atmospheric or unsettling, it just sits there and looks pretty.

I remember being excited that someone was finally going to do a faithful adaptation of the novel, as Coppola was claiming at the time and then it missed the mark far more than most.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #282
jscoggins jscoggins is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
jscoggins's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
13
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Noting quite like the condescending eye roll, is there ?

That's exactly why calling it Bram Stocker's Dracula is farcical. What's the point of filming the most famous horror novel of all time and then turning it into a flouncy romance, which btw was a far from original approach. Nosferatu and John Badham's Dracula had taking a similar approach, but their films still were horrific in places. This film is art-directed to death, but it never feels remotely atmospheric or unsettling, it just sits there and looks pretty.

I remember being excited that someone was finally going to do a faithful adaptation of the novel, as Coppola was claiming at the time and then it missed the mark far more than most.
Content Before Packaging
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #283
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
I suppose an eloquent counter argument is beyond you. This incessant gif and smilie crap is not what I call a discussion about film.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 10-27-2014 at 09:25 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:24 PM   #284
jscoggins jscoggins is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
jscoggins's Avatar
 
Apr 2014
13
45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I suppose an eloquent counter argument is beyond you. This incessant gif and smilie crap is not what I call a discussion about film.
That's because you're not discussing the film, you're just shouting but not listening.
Content Before Packaging
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #285
Todd Tomorrow Todd Tomorrow is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Todd Tomorrow's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
London, UK
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
That's because you're not discussing the film, you're just shouting but not listening.
There is not much to listen to when you say nothing that actually engages with what I was saying and communicate in smiles and gifs more than with an intelligent argument.

Yes, I get it, Coppola turned the book into a feeble romance. I actually saw the film, that didn't pass me by. But again: why put the name of the author of the novel in the title when the film then runs completely counter to what the book was about ? Because the book isn't a romance in the modern sense and Dracula isn't a romantic hero, he's the ultimate evil. Why not call it something like "When Dracula Met Mina" ? (joke!)
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:42 AM   #286
Vlad Draculi Vlad Draculi is offline
Expert Member
 
Vlad Draculi's Avatar
 
Jul 2014
508
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Is this thread ever going to be about Bram Stoker's Dracula???
WHat is this to talk about? We hae already discussed the movie and the BD's massive short comings.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:54 AM   #287
cash_black cash_black is offline
Senior Member
 
Nov 2012
5
13
Default

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray Movies - North America bladelia 22 10-03-2009 11:45 PM
STAY AWAY from Bram Stoker's Dracula!!! Blu-ray Movies - North America dealonward 2 01-21-2008 03:51 AM
Bram Stoker's Dracula - Dialog Blu-ray Movies - North America GreenMotion 21 10-14-2007 09:56 PM
Any news on Bram Stoker's Dracula on blu-ray? Blu-ray Movies - North America Kinmui 6 05-27-2007 03:43 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 AM.