Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Aliens (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Preacher: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Middle-Earth Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$599.99
The Legend of Tarzan (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Narcos: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-26-2016, 01:35 AM   #2181
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I read a lot of sci-fi news sites, blogs, etc. and pretty much all of them trash the last season or two of BSG. Now, could this be a case where the squeaky wheels are insisting a thing sucks when the silent majority liked it? Definitely could be. It's always funny when you hear relentless "reporting" that a movie sucks and then you go to IMDB and it has a 7-something average (Man of Steel included). This could be one of those things. Who knows?
Good point.

I don't actually hate the last season or so of BSG, I just found them not quite as entertaining as the first couple. Mostly because
[Show spoiler]I dislike religious stuff in sci-fi and disliked the "final five" storyline.

While I disagree, I can't ague with personal taste. However, I hold out hope you might come around on this one down the line if you ever rewatch it. I've had my share of movies where I did a 360 (180?), especially if you let yourself get past pet-peeves, nitpicks or plot-holes. Not exactly the same, but I trust your
[Show spoiler]"religious"
block didn't prevent you from liking 2001. I also don't think the
[Show spoiler]"religious"
element has to be taken literally (hence my overuse of quotation marks).
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:50 AM   #2182

Nov 2011
Finland

I felt like the last season got a bit stuck on the religious theme. I absolutely loved the character of Baltar but in the last season I begun to gringe every time we went back to teary-eyed Baltar talking about meaning of life with the cylons in the annoyingly lit Cylon ship interior.

But still I loved the show from beginning to end, the first seasons just were too good. And actually my favourite episodes are the ones with Baltar on the court in season 3. Romo Lampkin was such a great character.

I was a fan of the original series as a kid and was not keen on the idea of a remake. Thankfully I have a friend who pushed me to check it out and after a couple of episode I was hooked. I've watched the whole show three times now and could easily start again. I just wish they would've made the toasters with having a man in a suit rather than CGI. I hated how they look.
Blu-wishlist: Dolores Claiborne, The Changeling, Let's Scare Jessica to Death, The Tenant, XTRO, Class of 1999, True Lies, Salem's Lot.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:57 AM   #2183
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified-eye View Post
I just wish they would've made the toasters with having a man in a suit rather than CGI. I hated how they look.
Disagree. They were a lot more terrifying than the clunky metal zombies of the old show.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:15 AM   #2184
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
Disagree. They were a lot more terrifying than the clunky metal zombies of the old show.
I don't think he's saying make them look just like the old show, more that the early CGI was really weak and obvious and they probably could have done a better practical suit than that. I agree.
Thanks given by:
petrified-eye (05-01-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #2185
Expert Member

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I don't think he's saying make them look just like the old show, more that the early CGI was really weak and obvious and they probably could have done a better practical suit than that. I agree.
Basically agree. ...one of the many nitpicks I just accept as part of TV budget 2003 CGI, at least the CG got better as the show progressed. While the Star Trek OS "updated"CGI FX were lame, I would have little problem with someone going back to update early CG with better CG in things like this or the Star Wars prequels (though I'd still want the original versions preserved for historical reasons, curiosity or nostalgia.) Of course I don't expect it to happen, but...
Not surprisingly, the CG gets even better with Caprica (most of the time anyway). Blood n Chrome too.
Lex Luthor: Miss Teschmacher, some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.Miss Teschmacher: Lex, what has chewing gum got to do with the secrets of the universe?Lex Luthor: [sighs] Right, Miss Teschmacher. Right.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:36 AM   #2186
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Currently on a 24 hour sale for $50 US at Amazon Canada. $60 US with shipping:

https://www.amazon.ca/Battlestar-Gal...dp/B0036EH3U2/

Cheapest it has ever been in the US is $70, and that was only once, very briefly, a few months ago. Currently $130 at Amazon US.
Thanks given by:
deltatauhobbit (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #2187
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Currently on a 24 hour sale for $50 US at Amazon Canada. $60 US with shipping:

https://www.amazon.ca/Battlestar-Gal...dp/B0036EH3U2/

Cheapest it has ever been in the US is $70, and that was only once, very briefly, a few months ago. Currently $130 at Amazon US.
A good price, but it's been as as low $25 shipped from AmazonUk in December though you do have to buy a separate $5 copy of The Plan to get the same exact content. Currently around $50 shipped though.

25/40/50 -- content is worth the price regardless, but it just depends on if you want it sooner rather than later.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #2188
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Wow! I'm enormously impressed with Amazon Canada.

I ordered this during the flash sale on Tuesday. It shipped from Canada on Wednesday. And it arrived here in California, by DHL, today, only one day later. Overnight shipping for this huge set, which came in a massive box, with plenty of padding, was only $10 US.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:23 PM   #2189
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

This has been a really fun show. I am 3.5 seasons into the show. It was a grat purchase.
Blind Buy Count: 300+
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Thanks given by:
mrr1 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #2190
Suspended

May 2016

Yes this show just blew me away. It's sad that SciFy or whatever it's called now cannot even come close to having something this good and "adult" creatively speaking since its end. A very few attempts such as Caprica tried but the bulk of what they have is braindead junk...fill in the blank of show...
Thanks given by:
mrr1 (06-09-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #2191

Sep 2010
dundee scotland

has anyone here bought the French complete ultimate boxset? if so anyone else had a problem of duplicate disc 2 and no disc 5 in the original series? I have only just got round to starting this part of the set and noticed the problem
Old 06-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #2192

Apr 2014
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspberger View Post
Yes this show just blew me away. It's sad that SciFy or whatever it's called now cannot even come close to having something this good and "adult" creatively speaking since its end. A very few attempts such as Caprica tried but the bulk of what they have is braindead junk...fill in the blank of show...
I think they are getting back on track. Give The Expanse a shot.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #2193

Jan 2011
Bay Area, CA

Sorry if this has been addressed but I couldn't find confirmation in the thread, but regarding this recent set in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battlestar-...935611_TE_n_id

Does anyone know if the set for Caprica was upgraded to 1080p? I have the French Blu ray set (which is region free by the way, it's listed in the site database as B but it's not), but it's 1080i/50hz

With the pound exchange so low, the UK would be a nice deal, but if Caprica is still at a lower resolution, I'd just keep the set I have.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Old 06-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #2194
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
Denmark

It's not a lower resolution.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:51 PM   #2195
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
It's not a lower resolution.
True, but it is still 1080/50 on the UK set.
Thanks given by:
mhp68 (06-25-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #2196
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified-eye View Post
I felt like the last season got a bit stuck on the religious theme. I absolutely loved the character of Baltar but in the last season I begun to gringe every time we went back to teary-eyed Baltar talking about meaning of life with the cylons in the annoyingly lit Cylon ship interior.

But still I loved the show from beginning to end, the first seasons just were too good. And actually my favourite episodes are the ones with Baltar on the court in season 3. Romo Lampkin was such a great character.

I was a fan of the original series as a kid and was not keen on the idea of a remake. Thankfully I have a friend who pushed me to check it out and after a couple of episode I was hooked. I've watched the whole show three times now and could easily start again. I just wish they would've made the toasters with having a man in a suit rather than CGI. I hated how they look.
You nailed it. The religious theme stated to wear thin and so did the melodramatic Baltar stuff. Loved his character at first but then just got tired of his storyline. Starbuck started getting annoying too at times. Love the show overall though.

And like you, I was vehemently opposed to remaking it and avoided it. My brother basically forced me to watch EP1 and I was hooked almost right there.
Samsung PN64H5000 plasma
LG BP540, LG BD570, PS3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560
Thanks given by:
JimDiGriz (06-26-2016), petrified-eye (06-26-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 AM   #2197

May 2014
Florida

I thought the first two seasons were the best. Baltar turning religious, really? I really thought the ending to be good, perfect in fact. And what was up with Dee offing herself? I thought that was messed up.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America