Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #9321
Special Member

Jun 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
This is true, but doesn't reinforce the position in any way that Heaven's Gate is a bad film.

The film who's name cannot be spoken due to it killing UA and the New Hollywood movement. That, I can understand.

The film who's name cannot be spoken due to it killing UA and the New Hollywood movement, and is therefore a terrible film. That, I cannot understand.
The quote posted above, apparently from Kirgo's essay, simply said "We won't even mention Heaven's Gate" - nothing about it being a terrible film, just that it's simply a notorious one. Just like Ishtar, it's a film whose reputation preceeds it, regardless of the actual quality of the film, and Cimino's career never really recovered afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames. View Post
No way that TT would ever get a film as important as Mulholland Dr. for a 3000 unit pressing, so no use even contemplating it...unless it was a joke or something.
How is Mulholland Dr MORE important than As Good As It Gets, Sleepless In Seattle, Wild At Heart, Oliver or any dozens of other films TT has released that have received far more awards, acclaim and/or box office profits than that one has?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:30 PM   #9322

Jan 2014
France (Ni'm et de Kentry Cub!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baheidstu View Post
The quote posted above, apparently from Kirgo's essay, simply said "We won't even mention Heaven's Gate" - nothing about it being a terrible film, just that it's simply a notorious one. Just like Ishtar, it's a film whose reputation preceeds it, regardless of the actual quality of the film, and Cimino's career never really recovered afterwards.
Thanks for pointing out something so obvious. It's nothing more than lazy journalism.

Quote:
How is Mulholland Dr MORE important than As Good As It Gets, Sleepless In Seattle, Wild At Heart, Oliver or any dozens of other films TT has released that have received far more awards, acclaim and/or box office profits than that one has?
+1
Drink up, Mr. innocent. Drink. Everybody's innocent here. There's only one guilty party...and that's me.

Last edited by AlexIlDottore; 03-09-2014 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #9323

Mar 2013

Quote:
It's easily more important in my opinion. Also, http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #9324

Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultlife2013 View Post
It would be cool if they did get it.
I agree I always prefer US releases over Imports even If I could save 5 or 10 bucks by Importing them. I feel like I am supporting American Industry by supporting company's like Twilight Time

If a film is not worth $30 to you then It probably shouldn't be in your Blu-ray Collection then.

Maybe Universal is waiting Until 2016

that would be the 15th anniversary
Old 03-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #9325

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro_sawa View Post
It's easily more important in my opinion. Also, http://www.bfi.org.uk/news/50-greatest-films-all-time
Does that mean that the films that have more votes than Mulholland Drive are "greater" than Mulholland Drive ?
Drink up, Mr. innocent. Drink. Everybody's innocent here. There's only one guilty party...and that's me.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #9326

Mar 2013

Quote:
Does that mean that the films that have more votes than Mulholland Drive are "greater" than Mulholland Drive ?
No, and I'm not going to continue on after this because I can predict where it would head and I apologize. But I think Mulholland Dr. is much more highly regarded, influential and respected than the films listed in the quote. My link was to possibly give you the thought that if so many filmmakers and reputable film aficionados place the thing at number 28 on one of the most looked to and cited film polls ever, than certainly like the film or not it would seem more important from a film fan/history standpoint to get it on BD than something like As Good As It Gets (which is not an awful film either). I can keep going but I realize this is not a good discussion, because yes no ones opinion is fact and I guarantee there are a handful of people on here who would argue the importance of a As Good As it Gets over a Mulholland Dr.

I'm just tired of waiting for it on Blu Ray with the directors approval.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #9327

Jul 2012

Regarding Mulholland Drive: a Criterion release will eventually surface (link), and when it does, it will have more special features than any of TT's releases, and you'll be able to buy it for $20 during one of the many Criterion 50% off sales instead of $35 w/shipping from TT. I'll fine with waiting for Criterion to take its time and get the release right.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #9328

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuro_sawa View Post
No, and I'm not going to continue on after this because I can predict where it would head and I apologize. But I think Mulholland Dr. is much more highly regarded, influential and respected than the films listed in the quote. My link was to possibly give you the thought that if so many filmmakers and reputable film aficionados place the thing at number 28 on one of the most looked to and cited film polls ever, than certainly like the film or not it would seem more important from a film fan/history standpoint to get it on BD than something like As Good As It Gets (which is not an awful film either). I can keep going but I realize this is not a good discussion, because yes no ones opinion is fact and I guarantee there are a handful of people on here who would argue the importance of a As Good As it Gets over a Mulholland Dr.

I'm just tired of waiting for it on Blu Ray with the directors approval.
+1, from a fellow Mulholland Drive/Lynch fan
Old 03-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #9329
Special Member

Jun 2012
Upper Michigan

It's not that "Mulholland Drive" is more important than those mainstream titles, but it is more cult. And it's proven that Twilight Time's cult titles have a track record of sell way way more faster than their mainstream titles. Just look at "Fright Night" and "Night of the Living Dead" remake. Not exactly mainstream titles, but they do have their cult fan bases and look how they sold and all those other titles are still for sale for the most part.

"Mulholland Drive" would be gone in a matter of days likely, if that.
"Los Angeles Plays Itself" (2003) Documentary on use of Los Angeles in film & television - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvOyAdrDB0
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #9330

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirjunkie View Post
Regarding Mulholland Drive: a Criterion release will eventually surface (link)
Ugh. That link. Again. As a confirmation.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:04 AM   #9331

Mar 2013

Quote:
Ugh. That link. Again. As a confirmation.
exactly why I said it would be good for TT to release it because Criterion is not doing it That Post is almost a year old and still nothing
Old 03-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #9332

Oct 2008
Louisville, KY

Criterion can go a very long time between acquisition and release. Especially if they are courting director approval. Let's not start willing away every studio's backlog to TT.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #9333

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonVision View Post
Criterion can go a very long time between acquisition and release. Especially if they are courting director approval. Let's not start willing away every studio's backlog to TT.
This is true, and I'd love for them to release Mulholland Drive. Your post makes it sound as if it has been officially announced by Criterion.

That projection link isn't an announcement.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #9334
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Any idea which of the March 11 titles will actually get into those Chinese non-eco cases first? I'm waiting for All the King's Men myself, but from the sales figures I suspect more of you want Alfredo Garcia's head before Willie Stark's.
BD players: PS3 Slim 250GB; Sherwood BDP-5004 (region-free); HP P7-1010 w/ LG WH12LS38K, AMD HD 6570, TMT 3, 5 & 6, PDVD 11, Nero 11
A/V hardware: Vizio E3D320VX 3DTV; Sony HT-SS380; Vizio Co-Star (Google TV); Radiient HDMI switch (PC also has Hanns-G HL227 & Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers)
-----------------
Avatar: Vivien Leigh's Gone with the Wind Oscar, my own photo taken in 2011 at Little Rock's Historic Arkansas Museum.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #9335

Oct 2008
Louisville, KY

Quote:
This is true, and I'd love for them to release Mulholland Drive. Your post makes it sound as if it has been officially announced by Criterion.

That projection link isn't an announcement.
I never said it was an announcement. If every Amazon link or what have you was an announcement, then we would have had Y Tu Mama Tambien and The French Lieutenant's Woman a long time ago.

However, Criterion has let it be known that are circling the film. While licensing can be a ***** and we've had TT lose a film to Scream in recent months...Criterion doesn't tend to lose films in this matter. Their deals expire (Studio Canal), but they rarely lose something outright.

But, let's keep spinning our wheels in here. It's very productive.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #9336

Jan 2014

Quote:

Unrelated, but maybe of use : My credit card was pirated over the weekend, and somebody in Vietnam tried 4 times to make a withdrawal. They succeeded once. My card has been cancelled and I await a new one.

I contacted screen archives by email, as have I pre-ordered Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia with my old card, and was worried about the card being declined upon shipment (and missing out on this title). They have let me know that when I have my new card, I just need to update it on my account, and they'll ship.

I pray to the Flying Spaghetti Monster that my new card arrives in time for me to pre order Wild at Heart

I'm off to contact Amazon uk,us and fr due to my other pre-orders
Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #9337

Oct 2008
Louisville, KY

I had that happen with WBShop, but with no one else.

From my experience, Screen Archives tends to be on top of those matters.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #9338
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Is The Man From Laramie with Jimmy Stewart coming from TT?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #9339
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
Is The Man From Laramie with Jimmy Stewart coming from TT?
Yeah, here's the thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....n+from+laramie

Release date is June 10
Old 03-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #9340
Expert Member

Jan 2011
-

Quote:
I never said it was an announcement. If every Amazon link or what have you was an announcement, then we would have had Y Tu Mama Tambien and The French Lieutenant's Woman a long time ago.

However, Criterion has let it be known that are circling the film. While licensing can be a ***** and we've had TT lose a film to Scream in recent months...Criterion doesn't tend to lose films in this matter. Their deals expire (Studio Canal), but they rarely lose something outright.

The difference is that Mulholland Drive hasn't been a "clue" or an official announcement or even an unofficial mention at a live event (unless you have another source that wasn't one guy on Bluray.com getting ahead of himself and posting wishful thinking as if it were confirmation).

If there is another source beyond that, I would love to see it. Using bad "blog reporting" as fact really is spinning our collective wheel.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors