Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Gounod: Faust (Blu-ray)
$32.50
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Continuum: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 4 3.88%
Two Stars 13 12.62%
Three Stars 23 22.33%
Four Stars 39 37.86%
Five Stars 24 23.30%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2014, 02:42 AM   #581
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboTHX1138 View Post
Gave this a rental last night! Nothing to write home about but I had fun with it.
[Show spoiler]The guy walking around with the arrow stuck in his back until he finally pulls it out killing himself cracked me up, couldn't stop laughing lol. Good throwback though and liked the electronic music at the end.
That's who I was talking about.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #582

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
That's who I was talking about.
Definitely the best character for me. Would'nt have been the same I don't think.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 AM   #583
Banned

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by malja316 View Post
I went there...no going back now! I made my mark...and it is what it is...there are no walls around me...if I think a film is average or it sucks, I will say it...if others dig it, that's fine! There are films that most people like that I hate, while other films I am a big fan of while most dislike...I am what I am...

If people dig You're Next, more power to them! I gave this film a chance, I gave this film 92 minutes of my time...and it fell short for me...such is life...it happens...

I have not seen Would You Rather, but I looked it up based on your post...and I am definitely going to check this one out for sure!...Thanks for the tip! I have to be honest, Sasha Grey was the cause of my interest in this film....

Haven't seen Cockneys vs Zombies...I saw the trailer for it and it did not interest me, so I skipped it...I can, however, give this one a look if you feel its that good of a film....

I saw Mama and I didn't like it at all...but that's just me....

My favorite horror film this year was The Conjuring. Sure, it was influenced heavily by Insidious 1, but I thought it was able to distinguish itself from the Insidious formula and give this a life of its own...

I hope the horror genre rebounds soon...we shall see what happens...
The Maniac remake came out on blu ray in 2013 and that is one of the best modern horror movies I have ever seen, its beats the hell out of the bargain bin bottom of the barrel "would you rather", everyone involved with that piece of garbage should be embarrassed, I saw it on chiller the other night after seeing the dvd at best buy and wondering what it was and by god was it bad.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #584
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
I was under the impression, based on the high Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes scores of Conjuring and You're Next, that this was a decent year for good horror films?

I'll give You're Next a try soon. Actually, I did try via RedBox, but the closest kiosk is busted. Blue screen of death.
The next two closest kiosks... I don't know. Who cares? I think one of em has it on blu.
Either way, there won't be many replies because it's "D.F.W." in here (being it's Saturday)
2 good horror movies in the whole year doesn't equal a good year for horror. Out of the horror movies that came out last year I'd say 3 maybe 4 were actually good. For me it was Mama, You're Next, The Conjuring and Evil Dead. Everything else was either bad or just "meh".
Old 01-19-2014, 04:52 AM   #585
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edword View Post
2 good horror movies in the whole year doesn't equal a good year for horror. Out of the horror movies that came out last year I'd say 3 maybe 4 were actually good. For me it was Mama, You're Next, The Conjuring and Evil Dead. Everything else was either bad or just "meh".
What I mean is, usually there's a bunch of average reviewed horror movies every year.
So this year, there were two highly rated and loved horror titles. Even if the rest were crap, those other two were loved as if they were Drama's by Darren Aronofsky.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #586
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Just finished watching Would You Rather based on previous recommendations, and boy was that not good. It was just really depressing to watch with no real payoff. I'd give it a 2/5 at best. Still think You're Next is by far the best horror flick of the year.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #587
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
Just finished watching Would You Rather based on previous recommendations, and boy was that not good. It was just really depressing to watch with no real payoff. I'd give it a 2/5 at best. Still think You're Next is by far the best horror flick of the year.
I never heard of Would You Rather until this thread... I see it earned a 20 ave at Metacritic.

Where I know You're Next got a 66.

So You're Next is definitely the one to watch
Old 01-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #588
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Quote:
I never heard of Would You Rather until this thread... I see it earned a 20 ave at Metacritic.

Where I know You're Next got a 66.

So You're Next is definitely the one to watch

Yeah WYR is a VERY interesting concept, but that's all it has with nothing really to make the story flourish. There's a definite Saw influence, but Saw was so much more than just a "what would you do in this situation" type of movie, and it's better executed.

Not to say that WYR is a complete lost cause though. It is an interesting premise. Check it out for yourself. You might like it more than I did.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #589
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
Yeah WYR is a VERY interesting concept, but that's all it has with nothing really to make the story flourish. There's a definite Saw influence, but Saw was so much more than just a "what would you do in this situation" type of movie, and it's better executed.

Not to say that WYR is a complete lost cause though. It is an interesting premise. Check it out for yourself. You might like it more than I did.
Thanks for the explanation. So like a poor man's Saw... Interesting.
I do like the first Saw!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:55 PM   #590
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Ok.
Just got this blu from redbox for free.
Service has been down five days at my kiosk, so I called. They gave me a promo code for a freebie. Just went to the next furthest to pick it up.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 AM   #591
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Trying to think how to rate this without the "X.5's"

Will it have replay value, like the great horror films?

Is there any hidden narrative, like in The Exorcist, The Shining or Kill List?

I rate horror movies via a combination of two ratings:

Examples:

The Shining as a horror movie: (5 out of 5)
The Shining as a movie itself: (5 out of 5)
Final Average: (5)

Saw as a horror movie: (5 out of 5)
Saw as a movie itself: (3.5 out of 5)
Final Average: (4.25)

The Conjuring as a horror movie: (4 out of 5)
The Conjuring as a movie itself: (3.5 out of 5)
Final Average: (3.75)

So with this film, right now I give it:
You're Next as a horror film: (4.25 out of 5)
You're Next as a movie itself: (3 out of 5)
Final Average: (3.625)
Old 01-21-2014, 03:01 PM   #592
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
Trying to think how to rate this without the "X.5's"

Will it have replay value, like the great horror films?

Is there any hidden narrative, like in The Exorcist, The Shining or Kill List?

I rate horror movies via a combination of two ratings:

Examples:

The Shining as a horror movie: (5 out of 5)
The Shining as a movie itself: (5 out of 5)
Final Average: (5)

Saw as a horror movie: (5 out of 5)
Saw as a movie itself: (3.5 out of 5)
Final Average: (4.25)

The Conjuring as a horror movie: (4 out of 5)
The Conjuring as a movie itself: (3.5 out of 5)
Final Average: (3.75)

So with this film, right now I give it:
You're Next as a horror film: (4.25 out of 5)
You're Next as a movie itself: (3 out of 5)
Final Average: (3.625)
I've never given any movie over 4. The only movie I've ever given a 4, I think, is Altered States because I have no idea what a 5/5 movie looks like.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #593
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
I've never given any movie over 4. The only movie I've ever given a 4, I think, is Altered States because I have no idea what a 5/5 movie looks like.
To me, a 5/5 film is a movie I can watch over and over... A film with insane replay value.
Usually, those are films with well written scripts that utilize hidden narratives via complex and advanced psychology.
The Shining, Exorcist, Mulholland Dr, Only God Forgives, Eyes Wide Shut are a select few for me.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #594
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
To me, a 5/5 film is a movie I can watch over and over... A film with insane replay value.
Usually, those are films with well written scripts that utilize hidden narratives via complex and advanced psychology.
The Shining, Exorcist, Mulholland Dr, Only God Forgives, Eyes Wide Shut are a select few for me.
It just seems to me there will always be a better movie to come along than what I previously thought as perfect.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #595
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
It just seems to me there will always be a better movie to come along than what I previously thought as perfect.
I agree.
So in a way, there's no "perfect" movie... Just as there's no perfect food.
But there are those foods that are your favorite... That you can eat over and over. Foods you'd give a 5/5.

And although said food can be made slightly better or different (via changing of spices or herbs or cooking time...etc), the same goes with film.

Or just like when someone says, "She's perfect", about a girl. Is there someone better? Yeah. Maybe you haven't seen or met her yet.

So basically, there are variations of awesomeness - be it a movie or food or girl - that can fit under the umbrella term for "perfect", aka, a 5/5, even with flaws.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #596

Aug 2012

Watched this last night.

[Show spoiler]Gave it 2 stars. Just didn't do it for me. I wasn't sure whether they were trying to be funny. The scene where they're arguing on who should run to the car was dumb. It took me out of the moment. Also when that annoying brother got stabbed multiple times....really? I guess thinking this movie was going to be in a serious tone ruined it for me. I also hated the abrupt ending. The only reason I gave it 2 stars was for the killings. Some nice gruesome kills here. This one is a rental at most.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #597
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2013

Quote:
I agree.
So in a way, there's no "perfect" movie... Just as there's no perfect food.
But there are those foods that are your favorite... That you can eat over and over. Foods you'd give a 5/5.
Ah, well put.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies