COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Hell of the Living Dead / Rats: Night of Terror (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$13.49
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.50
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #41
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter V View Post
1080i and only DD5.1 sound for Canada.
Yep, that would be why. The HD DVD is still the only quality release of The Pianist for region A folks. I don't think this is even on Universal's radar yet for a release.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #42
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I don't think this is even on Universal's radar yet for a release.
Sadly I agree. I had hoped for a 10th Anniversary release last year, but no luck.

My only hope now for an American release is Criterion, since they have a relationship with Universal and they love Polanski, having released 4 of his first 5 films and with the restored Tess apparently coming from them some time this year.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #43

Dec 2007
Plymouth, MN

Has anyone heard or read anything about this edition that was released in Japan (Region 'A' territory) on March 2nd? I am thinking of ordering it but would like to know more about it's techinical aspects before purchasing - such as Subtitles forced or optional?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pi...Blu-ray/63925/
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #44

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopBluRay View Post
Has anyone heard or read anything about this edition that was released in Japan (Region 'A' territory) on March 2nd? I am thinking of ordering it but would like to know more about it's techinical aspects before purchasing - such as Subtitles forced or optional?
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pi...Blu-ray/63925/
There was a post on ebay, not sure on its accuracy, that stated subs were only in Japanese, so if that's the case, then the German portions of the film won't be subtitled.

I'm wondering what happened to the UK Studio Canal edition. It skyrocketed in price. I was going to order that edition but not at what amounts to almost $40 bucks when shipped to the stated from Amazon. I know the Norweigen edition has English writing throughout the packaging but where in the world do I get a Swedish blu-ray shipped to the states?

At this point, is it worth pursuing the Studio Canal edition?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #45
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->87 SteelBooks™--------->127 UV-------->254

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTwist View Post
There was a post on ebay, not sure on its accuracy, that stated subs were only in Japanese, so if that's the case, then the German portions of the film won't be subtitled.

I'm wondering what happened to the UK Studio Canal edition. It skyrocketed in price. I was going to order that edition but not at what amounts to almost $40 bucks when shipped to the stated from Amazon. I know the Norweigen edition has English writing throughout the packaging but where in the world do I get a Swedish blu-ray shipped to the states?

At this point, is it worth pursuing the Studio Canal edition?
If you have an HD DVD player or can find an HD DVD add on drive as they are cheap, then no. The PQ is superior on the HD DVD release anyway and it even has lossless audio.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #46
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
If you have an HD DVD player or can find an HD DVD add on drive as they are cheap, then no. The PQ is superior on the HD DVD release anyway and it even has lossless audio.
Awful lot of work for one film though.

I keep hoping Criterion will pick it up.

If not, the expensive UK disc is the best/easiest option for those who can play it.

Fingers crossed for this afternoon's monthly Criterion announcement...
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #47

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luckard View Post
Awful lot of work for one film though.

I keep hoping Criterion will pick it up.

If not, the expensive UK disc is the best/easiest option for those who can play it.

Fingers crossed for this afternoon's monthly Criterion announcement...
I found it for about $10 bucks less ordering the UK edition from Amazon.fr. I checked all the European Amazon affiliates. Typically, Amazon.es has been the cheaper, but France won. I guess I'll order from there.

The reason I don't think we'll see a Criterion release any time soon is because they take long breaks between releasing films from the same filmmaker. With the inevitable Tess announcement, The Pianist could be a long ways off.

Last edited by JackTwist; 03-15-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #48
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I found it for about $10 bucks less ordering the UK edition from Amazon.fr. I checked all the European Amazon affiliates. Typically, Amazon.es has been the cheaper, but France won. I guess I'll order from there.

The reason I don't think we'll see a Criterion release any time soon is because they take long breaks between releasing films from the same filmmaker. With the inevitable Tess announcement, The Pianist could be a long ways off.
Did you find the UK edition, or one with French writing? The one at Amazon.fr has a photo that has a normal cover, but the disc and insert bizarrely says "The Pianiste", with the English article and the French noun. Weird.

Last edited by James Luckard; 03-15-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #49

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Did you find the UK edition, or one with French writing? The one at Amazon.fr has a photo that has a normal cover, but the disc and insert bizarrely says "The Pianiste", with the English article and the French noun. Weird.
If you select blu-ray as the search option and scroll down. There is one that has English writing and states it is the UK version in the translated text.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
If you select blu-ray as the search option and scroll down. There is one that has English writing and states it is the UK version in the translated text.
Ah, found it. Although it appears to be sourced from an overstock store in France. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting a disc with French packaging.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #51

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Ah, found it. Although it appears to be sourced from an overstock store in France. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up getting a disc with French packaging.
I just checked. I must have bought the last one because mine is direct from Amazon and not the one now listed on the home page.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

I've been meaning to pick up the U.K. Studio Canal release. Might as well do that now and pick up Port of Shadows while I'm at it.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #53
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010

Quote:
I just checked. I must have bought the last one because mine is direct from Amazon and not the one now listed on the home page.
It's also region B locked if you didn't already know.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:52 AM   #54

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
It's also region B locked if you didn't already know.
I have a region-free player just for such an occasion. What's crazy is that the cost of the movie on Amazon.fr has gone up 20 euros since I played the order. I'm doing the happy dance.

Now if Criterion announces on Monday, the happy dance will quickly end!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 AM   #55
Power Member

Jan 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
I have a region-free player just for such an occasion. What's crazy is that the cost of the movie on Amazon.fr has gone up 20 euros since I played the order. I'm doing the happy dance.

Now if Criterion announces on Monday, the happy dance will quickly end!
I think you're safe there Tess seems guaranteed this month or next, since the restoration just came out on BD in the UK and came out in France in Dec, and Janus controls the rights.

Still, I'll keep hoping for The Pianist soon, as it seems plausible for Criterion as a Polanski film controlled by Universal.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #56
Expert Member

Sep 2008
Oirland

Am (im)patiently awaiting the Universal release, providing they don't DNR it all over the shop. Either way, it surely can't be as bad a transfer as the Studio Canal version....

http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/02.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/07.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/03.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/04.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/05.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/08.png
http://www.somniumxxx.biz/br_screenc...e/large/17.png
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America