COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
On the Beach (Blu-ray)
$17.49
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Mr. Majestyk (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Unforgiven (Blu-ray)
$17.49
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Breakheart Pass (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Elmer Gantry (Blu-ray)
$17.49
The Children's Hour (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #2681

Mar 2013
cincinnati
Send a message via AIM to r_webb18

Its selling for $107.49 right now
Old 06-02-2014, 04:53 PM   #2682
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Hell, I would've been happy if they'd just fixed Frenzy all the way. Since they were already fixing the credits, you'd think they could've bothered to use a pre-DNR master when they re-encoded it.

And while Marnie has more than its share of problems, the real "What the Hell Am I Looking At?" award goes to Family Plot. Hideous.
Family Plot looks bad, but at least it's not a film I particularely care for.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #2683
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK, south

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Hell, I would've been happy if they'd just fixed Frenzy all the way. Since they were already fixing the credits, you'd think they could've bothered to use a pre-DNR master when they re-encoded it.

And while Marnie has more than its share of problems, the real "What the Hell Am I Looking At?" award goes to Family Plot. Hideous.
I haven't gotten to see the latter films in the Masterpiece Collection. I've only made my way up to The Birds. The PQ for that isn't met favourably here, right? I thought that was quite decent for the most part. Some processing here and there but nothing too bad. If Marnie and the others look similar to that as far as PQ, then I will be satisfied.

Last edited by theprestige85; 06-02-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #2684
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
I haven't gotten to say the later films in the Masterpiece Collection. I've only made my way up to The Birds. The PQ for that isn't met favourable here, right? I thought that was quite decent for the most part. Some processing here and there but nothing too bad. If Marnie and the others look similar to that as far as PQ, then I will be satisfied.
I agree that The Birds looks much better than a lot of reviews and chatter would have one think. Things do go downhill from there though. Not horribly, irredeemably downhill (well, except for Family Plot which is pretty painful) but noticeably downhill.

Topaz and Torn Curtain look okay. Not great but not bad either. I honestly don't even remember much about how Marnie looked and Frenzy was rough but not unwatchable.

From Marnie forward the lowish PQ ratings are pretty fair.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #2685
Power Member

Nov 2008

The Birds is a typical case where people who are fairly clueless about how the film looked originally and the nature of optical effects, shoot their mouth off about a poor transfer. The Birds on Blu-ray looks as good as the film ever has.

Due to the nature of the many effects sequences a lot of scenes look a little soft, but that's because when you combine different visual elements in an optical printer, you go several generations down and the end result won't look pristine. Some people just can't believe that there were no digital effects in 1963 and some of them unfortunately review Blu-rays. And it's depressing that this fantastic restoration now has a poor reputation because people believe what they read on forums.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #2686
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
I haven't gotten to see the latter films in the Masterpiece Collection. I've only made my way up to The Birds. The PQ for that isn't met favourably here, right? I thought that was quite decent for the most part. Some processing here and there but nothing too bad. If Marnie and the others look similar to that as far as PQ, then I will be satisfied.
Marnie, Frenzy, and Family Plot all look much worse than The Birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The Birds is a typical case where people who are fairly clueless about how the film looked originally and the nature of optical effects, shoot their mouth off about a poor transfer. The Birds on Blu-ray looks as good as the film ever has.

Due to the nature of the many effects sequences a lot of scenes look a little soft, but that's because when you combine different visual elements in an optical printer, you go several generations down and the end result won't look pristine. Some people just can't believe that there were no digital effects in 1963 and some of them unfortunately review Blu-rays. And it's depressing that this fantastic restoration now has a poor reputation because people believe what they read on forums.
The only real problem I have with The Birds is the same problem I have with To Kill a Mockingbird (What is it with Universal and "Bird" transfers?) and The Sting. I object to the way they were handling dupes and opticals at that time. And so the dupe sections of The Birds look very processed, very digital. They could have handled it better, but it would have cost more money, and they didn't want to pony up the extra cash. For the restoration's budget, I suppose they did all they could. But they could have done better, certainly.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #2687

Jun 2013
Canada

Quote:
Marnie looks just fine if you lower your sharpness settings to minimize the distracting grain/noise or whatever that is. The color timing on this bd is especially amazing.

Last edited by docc; 06-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (06-17-2014)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #2688
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

I really love this set, however I had to take out the movies out of their sleeves because they were scratching up the discs. I put them all in CD cases so to protect them from any further damage.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #2689
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
I really love this set, however I had to take out the movies out of their sleeves because they were scratching up the discs. I put them all in CD cases so to protect them from any further damage.
While I'm sure plenty of others aren't having that issue, that is one reason why I wish I had plenty of shelf space to spare to buy the individual releases rather than the collection set. There's just no way I could spare the shelf space for 15 cases rather than this set though. I know I could just do what you did, but I prefer to have the discs on the shelf.
Last Watched: Mission: Impossible II
Last Bought: Ginger Snaps | Night of the Comet
PSN ID: KilloWertz
"Chuck me" 9/24/07 - 1/27/12
Old 06-17-2014, 01:55 PM   #2690
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
While I'm sure plenty of others aren't having that issue, that is one reason why I wish I had plenty of shelf space to spare to buy the individual releases rather than the collection set. There's just no way I could spare the shelf space for 15 cases rather than this set though. I know I could just do what you did, but I prefer to have the discs on the shelf.
I would too and it is a shame that I had to take them out. I didn't even know there was a problem until I was watching Psycho one night and it stuck on the scene of when Norman Bates was reacting to seeing Marian dead. I checked out the disc and noticed it had scuff marks on it. I rewinded it back a little bit and it froze again this time a little further in the scene.

I took out the disc, cleaned it off and tried watching it again and it never got stuck again but I knew if I was going to keep the disc that I would have to find a new place to hold it otherwise eventually I would never be able to play this again and as I said before I got CD-R cases for all of my discs so as to preserve them.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #2691
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessFanGirl View Post
Sorry to hear that - I don't like sleeves, though it seems that's the popular way to package these Blu sets; the Blu Indiana Jones, SW, and Alien movie sets all use sleeves.

That being said, sometimes when a movie is packaged in a regular snap-case that can be even worse; occasionally the snap breaks, so the disk is shifting around in the container & once it's opened, it's extremely scratched up....
Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #2692
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Sorry to hear that - I don't like sleeves, though it seems that's the popular way to package these Blu sets; the Blu Indiana Jones, SW, and Alien movie sets all use sleeves.

That being said, sometimes when a movie is packaged in a regular snap-case that can be even worse; occasionally the snap breaks, so the disk is shifting around in the container & once it's opened, it's extremely scratched up....
I've gotten movies that were like that were rolling around inside the case, thankfully they weren't scratched up and I just place them place in its holder but still its always a concern. I remember another time I bought Terminator 3 at Best Buy and when I got home and took off the shrink wrap a piece of the case had come off.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #2693
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by docc View Post
Marnie looks just fine if you lower your sharpness settings to minimize the distracting grain/noise or whatever that is.
Sharpness should always be set to zero anyway. (And turn motion smoothness off while you're at it!)
Old 06-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #2694

Aug 2011
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Sharpness should always be set to zero anyway. (And turn motion smoothness off while you're at it!)
I set the sharpness on my TV to 50 so it is in the middle. Any higher then it artificially sharpens the image and any lower it removes detail.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:43 PM   #2695

Feb 2014
Behind You...

Wow, this dropped in price again...I almost bought it when it was $105 not to long ago, and I almost bought it today until I checked my bank account
....my collection > my wallet....

"I'm not crazy, I just don't give a F**K!" ~ Willy
Old 06-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #2696
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addi-blu-ction View Post
Wow, this dropped in price again...I almost bought it when it was $105 not to long ago, and I almost bought it today until I checked my bank account

Wait until it's 20 dollars.
Home Theater Setup: Blu-ray player and a TV.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #2697

Sep 2009
Default Alfred Hitchcock The Masterpiece Collection Limited Edition - 10/30, 2012 Rev...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post

This is all well and good, but there are cases, like the sub par Great Escape release where the sources used for the remaster are simply degraded to a point where the results are ... Meh. The opticals definitely affect the picture, but poor preservation, sub par color timing and lack of funds to do a Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws type restoration contribute just as much.

I am a huge proponent of keeping the films as close to the original release as possible and am part of the 'Han Shot First' coalition. That being said , I would have ZERO problem with a studio that decided to digially cleanup optical artifacts such as matte boxes and poorly composited edges if the source elements were preserved. As long as the film grain and colors were kept in fact.

Last edited by mdonovan; 06-28-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #2698
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonovan View Post
This is all well and good, but there are cases, like the sub par Great Escape release where the sources used for the remaster are simply degraded to a point where the results are ... Meh. The opticals definitely affect the picture, but poor preservation, sub par color timing and lack of funds to do a Lawrence of Arabia, Jaws type restoration contribute just as much.

I am a huge proponent of keeping the films as close to the original release as possible and am part of the 'Han Shot First' coalition. That being said , I would have ZERO problem with a studio that decided to digially cleanup optical artifacts such as matte boxes and poorly composited edges if the source elements were preserved. As long as the film grain and colors were kept in fact.
The Birds was one of 13 Universal classics alongside Jaws, which did get an extensive restoration, it's just a more problematic film because of the opticals. In some cases like with the BD release of The Devil Rides Out (where it's known that effects were left unfinished) removing matte lines can look alright, but tampering with vintage effects is not something I would demand from a restoration. All I want is for a film to look like a good print on BD and The Birds does. Removing matte lines around hundreds of birds would be an insane amount of work anyway and would probably mean completely rebuilding effects with CGI in some shots.

If Ridley Scott decides to clean up effects on Alien and Blade Runner, that's his right, but Hitchcock can't do that anymore. By all accounts he was satisfied with the effects work, so making changes without his consent would strike me as controversial. And what next? Remove the obvious painted backdrops and back projection shots in Marnie? For me they are essential to the dreamlike, expressionist quality of the film. However they came about, they are now essential to its aesthetic and its heightened, slightly unreal quality is one of the things I love about Marnie.

People have become lazy in adjusting to effects in old films. On one hand people on forums are endlessly bashing CGI, but then they also complain about "being taken out" of a film by vintage effects work. For me an old film is a document of the film technology of its time and it's up to audiences to use a little more imagination instead of meddling with old films just to suit contemporary tastes.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 06-28-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
baheidstu (06-28-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America