COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Thalía: Viva Tour (Blu-ray)
$13.48
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #1161
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
3 got the tone correct? That's the film that killed the series, taking the action out of one place and setting it in New York. That's when Die Hard ceased to be Die Hard anymore.
The idea of a confined space isn't necessarily "tone." I'm sure they're talking about what we were talking about a few posts above, the mean-spirited nature of 2.

Willis, of course, thinks the expansion of the series is natural. Building > airport > city > coastline > country > ?.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1162
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Miami Lakes, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
The idea of a confined space isn't necessarily "tone." I'm sure they're talking about what we were talking about a few posts above, the mean-spirited nature of 2.

Willis, of course, thinks the expansion of the series is natural. Building > airport > city > coastline > country > ?.
Earth.
"I am The Hague."

15 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) The Empire Strikes Back 4) Pulp Fiction 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Jurassic Park 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Star Wars 12) Jaws 13) Shaun of the Dead 14) Singin' in the Rain 15) Taxi Driver
Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #1163
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yep, it'll be Die Hard in space next. And it won't be any worse than #5.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:12 PM   #1164
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Latest roumors have them coming full-circle, and returning to a building premise.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #1165
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
I love how it takes the grenades about 30 seconds to blow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYVxCbHeaZs

And don't forget his magical magazine in his Beretta. I know every movie takes liberties with such things, but McClane looses off about 30 rounds before he reloads during the Annex Skywalk ambush. That's another reason why I dig Die Hard 2, it's all violent and sweary, yet it reels off so many action movie clichés I just can't take it seriously. Love the bit when McClane finds the doll amongst the wreckage of the plane, it's a gloriously cheese-tastic moment.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:32 PM   #1166
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
Miami Lakes, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
And don't forget his magical magazine in his Beretta. I know every movie takes liberties with such things, but McClane looses off about 30 rounds before he reloads during the Annex Skywalk ambush. That's another reason why I dig Die Hard 2, it's all violent and sweary, yet it reels off so many action movie clichés I just can't take it seriously. Love the bit when McClane finds the doll amongst the wreckage of the plane, it's a gloriously cheese-tastic moment.
Die Hard 2 is probably the cheesiest DH movie. Which is why I also really enjoy it.
"I am The Hague."

15 Favorite Films: 1) Inglourious Basterds 2) Back to the Future 3) The Empire Strikes Back 4) Pulp Fiction 5) Aliens 6) Halloween 7) Jurassic Park 8) Raiders of the Lost Ark 9) The Good, the Bad and the Ugly 10) 2001: A Space Odyssey 11) Star Wars 12) Jaws 13) Shaun of the Dead 14) Singin' in the Rain 15) Taxi Driver
Old 07-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #1167
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Latest roumors have them coming full-circle, and returning to a building premise.
Well, it's hard to separate fact from fiction. Ben Trebilcook is basically a fanfic author, but he's managed to inject his name in the right places in a number of spots that web reporters have picked up his bunk about writing the 6th film (he wrote it as the 4th film long ago and has been just banging the drum ever since) as fact, which 20th Century Fox was quick to shoot down. It's not clear whether the whole Nakatomi Corporation thread they talked about was part of Trebilcook's pitch or not. If it was, it's probably nonsense.

This is like the guy who wrote Ferris Bueller's Day Off 2. They're spec scripts, done without the knowledge of the studios but have managed to gain some form of internet traction.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 PM   #1168

Jan 2009
Montréal, QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
So you're fine with the same thing happening to the same guy on the same day of the year, with his wife in the air who is stuck with the same obnoxious reporter and for some reason their plane can't fly to the numerous other airports in the area.

Ejecting on the ground is ludicrous. A plane flying on fumes blowing up like a fully fueled one is ludicrous. The flame catching up to an aircraft already in the air, after taxiing down the world's longest approach, is ludicrous (not to mention aircraft fuel doesn't burn like gasoline, and a bad guy ingested into the engine would have disabled it...those things can't even handle a large bird).

Then there's just the whole nasty tone of DH2. More civilians died than bad guys and what were the stakes anyway? The USAF couldn't shoot down the 747 once it was in the air?

1 & 3 got the tone correct.

DH2 is the very definition of a cash-in sequel that gives sequels a bad name.
Yes I'm fine with all that. It's just a darn fun movie to me. As flawed as it is, it's still better than 4 and especially 5.
All right, look if you absolutely have to tell her the truth, at least wait until the timing's right. And that's what deathbeds are for.

-Chandler Bing
Old 07-15-2014, 12:08 AM   #1169
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
No it's not. How could you say that when Die Hard 4 and Die Hard 5 exist.
Quote:
Die Hard 4 is much, much better than Die Hard 2, even with the PG-13.

What Tyler said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
3 got the tone correct? That's the film that killed the series, taking the action out of one place and setting it in New York. That's when Die Hard ceased to be Die Hard anymore, and became just a generic buddy movie (using a script WB was considering for Lethal Weapon 4 at that). Not to mention the tone was all over the place, when McTiernan couldn't figure out how to end the film, and ultimately went with an ending that feels like it's from a completely separate movie.

The Die Hard "formula" in 1 and 3 is John McClane having a bad day. A charming and interesting villain pulling off an ingenious heist with a clever fake out. Violent scenes, but not gory or sadistic. Some civilians get hurt/killed in the crossfire but far more bad guys bite the dust. An overall sense of humor about the situation with some gags and banter between John & the villain. DH2 had none of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro Zombie View Post
I love how it takes the grenades about 30 seconds to blow

How about a minute before that with the thug firing point blank into a metal door and no shrapnel or ricochets hitting/killing himself and everyone else around him?

Quote:

Again, this. DH1 was "fun". A lot of laughs. Takagi, a couple security guards, and the douchebag Ellis are pretty much the only civilian casualties. DH2 is grim. Crashing a plane full of passengers just because.

Hans Gruber was a great villain. Colonel Stuart is just cold. No charm whatsoever.

When you step back and really think about it, DH2 just doesn't hold up. I thought it was ok when it came out but age has not been kind.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #1170
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
Yes I'm fine with all that. It's just a darn fun movie to me. As flawed as it is, it's still better than 4 and especially 5.

As I pointed out, it's too sadistic for me to find it "fun". More appropriate for another franchise. Not Die Hard.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:11 AM   #1171
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Perth, W.A. SteelBooks™:..................188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomricci View Post
Seems like JBHI doesn't have it on Blu-ray anymore, just the dvd version is listed, I tried the link on here and the page no longer exists. I understand that the German release is just the Uncut theatrical version not the Uncut uncensored version that Australia has. if anyone knows if the Australian version Blu-ray is around and ships to the U.S. let me know, Thanks
If anybody's looking for the AU version with Unrated DH4 let me know, I've just picked up a spare and am willing to ship it for cost.

Cheers.
Sadly there were no winners in the Loudness Wars but the ones who came off worst were you and me...

Now Trading: Thor: The Dark World Steelbook (AU), Tomb Raider PS3 Steelbook (AU), Hellraiser 1-3 Metalpak (AU), The Hobbit Steelbook (AU), Django Steelbook (AU)

Wanted: Indiana Jones Digibook (US)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America