COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Americano (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Seasons 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Team Hot Wheels: The Origin of Awesome (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Soundgarden: Superunknown (Blu-ray)
$74.38
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.89

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #401
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I have owned the sphere set since it came out back in 07, the Phantasm II disc upscaled looks better than this Blu-ray which is kind of sad.
Maggie Coming early 2015
Old 04-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #402
Power Member

Dec 2009
Pacific NW

Wow that is pretty red.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:34 PM   #403
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

This is probably a dumb question but I wonder if anyone went with just the SF DVD for the extras? Gonna order something for 5% off just to get two free $10 coupons and I was gonna get this. Torn between the Blu-Ray and the DVD, especially if the Blu-Ray doesn't look that great. It seems like there's a lot of material on the BD, I want to make sure all of it is on the DVD since that's why I'd be getting Shout's.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #404
Special Member

Sep 2010

Surprised people are using caps-a-holic as a real reference. I've noticed their imaged tend to be "seasoned". Things like colors are different than when viewing a film (and I've compared against 4 different tv's so it's not color settings. They seem to be capturing not the source image from the video stream, but what's on their screen or desktop, and so the color settings and such associated with their player/PC/etc.. I only occasionally went there, but have recently looked at a good amount of their caps comparisons and I can definitely see "seasoning" with caps of disks I am familiar with.

You can only do a decent comparison after calibration once you see the film in motion or pause it in motion, because a screencap isn't using the same decoding. If you have a PC and the ability, pause a movie, screencap the image, open that image up in a new window, and switch between it and your paused film and there will be a good difference.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #405
Banned

Aug 2011
United Kingdom

I've always found caps-a-holic to be very reliable.

I have both the UK Anchor Bay DVD and the Blu-ray, and they look the same to me on my TV as the caps on that site.

Also, has anyone else noticed that the red tint has actually been increased in the Blu-ray from even the Universal DVD?

During the scenes on the red planet, the rocks appear to be a light brown color on both DVDs and now on the Blu-ray they are completely red. I don't know about others but when viewing this scene on Blu-ray, it really takes me out of the film.

I'll be sticking with my AB DVD from now on, as not only does it have better colors, it also doesn't have bad black crush, and has significantly less cropping in certain scenes opposed to the Blu-ray.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #406

Apr 2012

Is this a mediocre transfer for Shout Factory? That would be an obvious yes. Is the blame a lousy HD source master that Universal provided them with? Probably. Will Universal actually go back and properly restore it? Don't hold your breath. If you don't already have the Region 1 DVD it's better than nothing.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 AM   #407

Jun 2012
Ontario, Canada

As far as I'm concerned, this isn't a horrible bluray. It's a little soft, yes. It's not perfect but it looks pretty good. I own the region 2 DVD and while it does look good upscaled, i can't say it's better than the blu-ray. Some shots are but others, not so much. There is a much warmer palette from the Universal master. You can't please everyone and this blu-ray surely won't dazzle you but it's a far cry from terrible. Would i love a full restoration? Obviously. Am i happy seeing the movie on this blu-ray until that happens? Quite.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:07 AM   #408
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

I wished they would release this one on blu-ray. The wait if unspeakable. In my opinion, this is the best of the series.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3𠂹 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Old 09-19-2014, 04:18 AM   #409
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvl View Post
I wished they would release this one on blu-ray. The wait if unspeakable. In my opinion, this is the best of the series.
? Been out since last March...
Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #410

Nov 2011
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
? Been out since last March...
Been out since March 2013 actually I have the Sphere set and I'm not very convinced about the PQ on this one. However as a fan of the film, is this BD worth for the extras?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:42 AM   #411

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified-eye View Post
Been out since March 2013 actually I have the Sphere set and I'm not very convinced about the PQ on this one. However as a fan of the film, is this BD worth for the extras?
Yep and the better picture and sound I own the sphere set as well.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #412
Expert Member

Jun 2014
canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
great!
Old 09-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #413

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
I didn't understand, did you mean the BD of Phantasm II has better picture thtan the R2 UK Sphere DVD?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #414
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrified-eye View Post
March, 2013 is last March.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM   #415

Nov 2011
Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Oh, I thought March 2014 was last March? It must be different in English then
Thanks given by:
JaseT (09-19-2014)
Old 09-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #416
Special Member

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
March 2013 would be 2 Marches ago... Last March implies the most recent time that month appeared which would be March 2014, and therefore incorrect.
Wanted To Buy:
-Disney's Treasure Planet Slip Cover
-Disney's Tangled 3D Lenticular Slip Cover
Old 09-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #417
Expert Member

Aug 2012
Melbourne, Australia

I've always just done it as last x month being last year, and this x month being this year, so last March being last year, and this March being this year.
Old Yesterday, 05:22 AM   #418
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
March 2013 would be 2 Marches ago... Last March implies the most recent time that month appeared which would be March 2014, and therefore incorrect.
Maybe it's a regional thing, but in my experience "Last March" has always meant "March of last year." Much in the sense that, if it's December 26, and I refer to "last Christmas," I don't mean "yesterday." To me, March 2014 is this March, not last March. And I'm sure that's what the person who initially said "last March" meant.
Thanks given by:
tommynorcal (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM   #419
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
The Ocean State

Quote:
Maybe it's a regional thing, but in my experience "Last March" has always meant "March of last year." Much in the sense that, if it's December 26, and I refer to "last Christmas," I don't mean "yesterday." To me, March 2014 is this March, not last March. And I'm sure that's what the person who initially said "last March" meant.
Typically, if I was referring to this year, I would tend to say "this past March" - if last year, I would say "March of last year". Different regions, different conventions.
擜lways leave boiled rice out for mice and keep lamps dark out of pity for moths. The ancients had this sort of concern, and it抯 really the whole point of life, generation after generation. Without it, one can only be called a blockheaded carcass. - H.Z.

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture. - T.P.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America