Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dumb and Dumber To (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast (Blu-ray)
$18.00
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Dog Soldiers (Blu-ray)
$19.97
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Thunderbirds: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.97
The Book of Life (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Annie (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Whiplash (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Predestination (Blu-ray)
$12.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #481
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2012
Georgia

I just finished watching The Sound of Music, and I'm blown away by the picture quality of this Blu-ray. I want to move to Salzburg, Austria right away.

This was my first time seeing the film in its entirety. When I was in elementary school many years ago, we used to sing the songs during our Friday assemblies, and my elementary school music teacher used to talk about this movie nonstop. Watching this film at long last brought back a lot of pleasant memories of those songs.

I love Eleanor Parker (the Baroness), and this movie makes me want to track down her film noir movies, namely Detective Story and Caged. It goes without saying that Julie Andrews is a sensation, and, just as in Mary Poppins and Torn Curtain, she is a pleasure to see in high definition.

I'm building up a solid Robert Wise collection, with The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Haunting, West Side Story, and The Sound of Music on Blu-ray, and The Body Snatcher, Born to Kill, The House on Telegraph Hill, The Set-Up, and Odds Against Tomorrow on DVD. He's one of the greats.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 06-01-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:18 PM   #482
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2012
Georgia

One more thing...

The Robert Wise commentary track has long stretches where he is not talking, but these scenes feature the isolated score. It's quite magical.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:28 PM   #483
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I'm building up a solid Robert Wise collection, with The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Haunting, West Side Story, and The Sound of Music on Blu-ray, and The Body Snatcher, Born to Kill, The House on Telegraph Hill, The Set-Up, and Odds Against Tomorrow on DVD. He's one of the greats.
Don't forget Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #484

Mar 2013
Kentucky, USA

I was browsing stuff on Amazon and noticed that the price on this has skyrocketed. Did Fox quietly take it out of print? I'm guessing they're planning some 50th Anniversary Edition next year.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:47 AM   #485

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollypartons View Post
I was browsing stuff on Amazon and noticed that the price on this has skyrocketed. Did Fox quietly take it out of print? I'm guessing they're planning some 50th Anniversary Edition next year.
Dear God, you aren't kidding. I'm not selling mine now...
Old 10-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #486

Mar 2013
Kentucky, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooked View Post
Dear God, you aren't kidding. I'm not selling mine now...
I'd never sell mine anyway unless there's a bigger and better 50th anniversary limited edition box set, as I own the 45th Anniversary big box and love it. But yikes, they must be trying to drum up demand for a 50th Anniversary Edition next year.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:03 AM   #487
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Well next year IS when 4K discs are to be released ... Any and all 70mm transferred movies with the extra resolution would look astounding
Old 10-05-2014, 07:30 PM   #488

Jun 2014
Somewhere

I've been wondering, why did the prices for the Blu-Ray suddenly skyrocket? Is it going out of print?
Top 10 films

1): Brazil 2): Metropolis 3): Full Metal Jacket 4): Moonrise Kingdom 5): Amadeus 6): Pulp Fiction 7): JFK 8): Schindler's List 9): Gravity 10): Fargo

All I really want are free UV codes.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #489
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

I've been wondering, why do people not read the four or five posts immediately above theirs? Is it because they enjoy being "that guy"?
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-13-2014)
Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #490
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

I can't help but ask why some people don't read the posts right above theirs? Don't they realize they are being 'THAT GUY?"

[Show spoiler]
Old 10-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #491
Special Member

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Last week, I complained that most people in this forum couldn't be bothered to read the last two pages of posts.

Turns out that my assessment was too generous.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:24 PM   #492
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Last week, I complained that most people in this forum couldn't be bothered to read the last two pages of posts.

Turns out that my assessment was too generous.
For a while, my signature was, "Please read the last two pages of a thread before posting."
Thanks given by:
Spooked (10-13-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #493
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Took it for a 3rd spin this past weekend. Still one of the finest blu-rays out there.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #494
Special Member

Aug 2007

Looks like Fox is soon to announce the 50th anniversary edition of The Sound of Music. Finally being used, at least overseas, is the original poster art. But I wonder if any correction will be done to turn Julie Andrews hair back to blond and bring back the Robert-Wise approved color scheme used for the box laserdisc and the 40th anniversary DVD.

Many people I have talked too which include over 6 projectionists who ran this film when it came out, all swear the first Blu-ray transfer was wrong in color on all counts. The movie was never so much earthtone and alot of the blue hues have been removed.

Julie Andrews, in 2 of her books, tells the story of how she almost fainted when she first saw here hair after it had been dyed blond, and if you watch all other editions of this film, her hair is light blond, not rusty red as in the Blu-ray. Have an older copy on DVD or any other format? Check out the very start of Do Re Mi, see the blond hair? It's now a red/rusty color.

In any case, I wonder what this 50th anniversary edition will have? Will it be a different transfer? Will there be new extras? Will Fox give us the 6-track mags as a music-only track that they were finally able to use for the first Blu-ray?

Here's the first photo I found for the new edition, including, yes, a steelbook:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/sound-o.../11063855.html

and

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/sound-o.../11063856.html

I LOVE the steelbook cover, but I can never figure out why Fox has to change to a different font on the title. The movie already has it's own brand with the letters used on the poster.

What else can they do to celebrate this movie that they didn't in 2010 when they released the 45th anniversary edition? 3D! I have a strong feeling the film has been converted to 3D. I am keeping my fingers crossed, can you imagine that opening scene in 3D (if it is done right like Wizard of Oz was done).

If anyone else has some info on the 50th anniversary, PLEASE post it.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #495

Aug 2013

Thanks, Robert! (And my first thought when I saw the Steelbook was "What is that awful typeface they used? It's like it's been lifted from a Direct-to-video Cinderella Part 3. Or 4. Or 5. Or who knows what. Kind of a head-scratcher, really.)

Anyways, I'm glad someone was keeping tabs on this.

(And I REALLY miss your column, too. )
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #496
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

They're likely just adding the bonus disc w/ new 60 minute documentary, and keeping the film disc exactly as it is.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #497

Sep 2008

Happy New Year, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
What else can they do to celebrate this movie that they didn't in 2010 when they released the 45th anniversary edition?...If anyone else has some info on the 50th anniversary, PLEASE post it.
There's now a sticker on the front of the new regular edition place holder that states ' Exclusive all new documentary, Julie Andrews returns to Salzburg'. This is what it now says in the description:

Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Rodgers & Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music — Winner of five ACADEMY AWARDS® including Best Picture* — with this 2-disc Blu-ray™ set that includes an all-new hour-long documentary detailing Julie Andrews’ return visit to Salzburg where she filmed her iconic role as Maria half a century ago! *1965: Directing, Film Editing, Music, Best Picture, Sound Includes All-New 60-Minute Documentary – The Sound of a City: Julie Andrews Returns to Salzburg and more!

Matt
Old 01-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #498
Expert Member

Jul 2009

I hope they restore all of the sound elements missing from the last version (i.e. Julie's apron slap during the opening number.)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #499

Sep 2008

A little more information from http://www.broadwayworld.com - apparently Christopher Plummer accompanied Julie Andrews to Salzburg, none of the children though!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article...ntary-20150102

Matt
Old 02-17-2015, 01:21 PM   #500

Jun 2012
-
-

Did anyone notice pixelation right before the title 'A Robert Wise Production' shows up (at around 00:04:59 - 00:05:00, lasting about 20 frames)?
It bugged me a little...

Last edited by cdth; 02-20-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America