COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Ken Burns: The Roosevelts (Blu-ray)
$76.89
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dexter: The Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$15.49
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-25-2014, 08:59 AM   #441
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
Based on a question like that and the fact you apparently like the TV movie of the stand, I'm not sure if it would be for you as much as his others. While it's definitely very weird, it's by and large not the same kind of weird as Eraserhead where you have living food (though it does have tiny grandparents), it's very slow-moving, and it really has a strong emotional throughline. The first time I saw it, I pretty much lost my breath during the last 15 minutes where I suddenly realized what the movie was about and the full arc of the "Betty" character, and I realized it's really pretty devastating. It immediately went to my top 5 or so movies ever, and has remained there ever since. I don't watch it that often cause it's just too harrowing for infinite rewatchability, but I saw it on DVD once and also did import the Studiocanal version and have watched that a few times. Naomi Watts gives possibly my favorite performance by an actress in any movie. It's a lot more beautiful in its weirdness than his earlier, better-known movies. If you're looking for a freak show, you might want to start with something more like Wild at Heart and work your way up to this since it's much more tasteful and restrained. I do see that you have Blue Velvet in your collection, so if you're a fan of that you might be safe with this one. That one's much more straightforward plot-wise but is also funnier and nastier. Basically Mulholland Drive is not the kind of weird movie like Forbidden Zone or Hausu or whatever where you watch it and are just delighted by how nuts it is, it's weird with a purpose and is really dark and moody and I kind of think of it as a romantic tragedy.
Last time I watched it Id forgotten how scary it is. Its like a horror film at times - but not your normal horror film of course.

And its not an easy watch either for those who dont know. You have been warned!
Panasonic TX-P50GT60
Panasonic DMR-EX79
Sony BDP-E870
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #442
Expert Member

Jun 2013

This movie may be the reason that I own half the blu-rays I do. It opened my eyes to what films could be.

One of the best things I've ever seen.
Thanks given by:
eiknarf (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #443
Expert Member

Mar 2010
New York

The Coffee Scene is one of the most bizarre/hilarious things I've ever seen...
For Your Consideration...
Old 06-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #444
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
-

This thread ought to be moved to Wish List.
Just a fly in the ointment. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #445
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal King View Post
This thread ought to be moved to Wish List.
Several of us have been saying that for about a year now, but in spite of the fact that this doesn't (to date) meet any of the normal criteria for having a thread in this forum, the mods have refused to move it. Does it seem likely that it's coming at some point? Yes. Is pro-bassoonist very reliable in the information he posts? Yes. But only having what essentially amounts to nothing more than rumors about the likelihood of release at some point in the future is still Wish Lists forum material, regardless of which forum member posts it.

Maybe the powers that be just like having a good laugh when everyone's hopes go up each time the thread gets bumped.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #446
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
Several of us have been saying that for about a year now, but in spite of the fact that this doesn't (to date) meet any of the normal criteria for having a thread in this forum, the mods have refused to move it. Does it seem likely that it's coming at some point? Yes. Is pro-bassoonist very reliable in the information he posts? Yes. But only having what essentially amounts to nothing more than rumors about the likelihood of release at some point in the future is still Wish Lists forum material, regardless of which forum member posts it.

Maybe the powers that be just like having a good laugh when everyone's hopes go up each time the thread gets bumped.
I certainly hope not, as that would mean the people creating the rules, aren't abiding by them.
I'll never understand why Criterion rumors receive a "pass", when every other rumored release is immediately transferred to the wishlist forum. It's not like the Mods don't know this thread is here. So I'm not sure why a double standard exists in this case. Rules are rules.

I'm just an eager as the next person, but if there's no hard release news to be found...put the thread where it belong: The Wishlist Forum.
Thanks given by:
bsweetness (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #447
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I certainly hope not, as that would mean the people creating the rules, aren't abiding by them.
I'll never understand why Criterion rumors receive a "pass", when every other rumored release is immediately transferred to the wishlist forum. It's not like the Mods don't know this thread is here. So I'm not sure why a double standard exists in this case. Rules are rules.

I'm just an eager as the next person, but if there's no hard release news to be found...put the thread where it belong: The Wishlist Forum.
I almost included a line in my post about rules needing to be followed regardless of who is posting. Glad you did.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #448
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Here, There and Everywhere

Quote:

I think it's ok in this forum. The source of the news bit did correct scoop THE INNOCENTS release. Also, I've heard Movies Unlimited tends to get word of Criterion releases 4-6 weeks before their announcements. . .
Barnes & Noble has Criterion Collection 50% Off Sales Each November and July
Next Sale: July 1 - July 28
Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #449
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellOilJunior View Post
I think it's ok in this forum. The source of the news bit did correct scoop THE INNOCENTS release. Also, I've heard Movies Unlimited tends to get word of Criterion releases 4-6 weeks before their announcements. . .
Until it's announced, there's a pre-order, or someone closely involved says it's definitely coming (Lynch, Criterion, etc.), it belongs in the Wish Lists forum. That's how other releases are dealt with, and the same should be applied here.

You also have to keep in mind that this thread was started over a year ago, and it's been in this forum without any concrete details the entire time. That information from Movies Unlimited was just posted yesterday.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #450
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Great film. The best Lynch did....
Old 06-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #451
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Quote:
Until it's announced, there's a pre-order, or someone closely involved says it's definitely coming (Lynch, Criterion, etc.), it belongs in the Wish Lists forum. That's how other releases are dealt with, and the same should be applied here.

You also have to keep in mind that this thread was started over a year ago, and it's been in this forum without any concrete details the entire time. That information from Movies Unlimited was just posted yesterday.
And they also posted the Innocents was coming , plus David Lynch dropped that very cool clue last year. Just because it hasn't been announced does not mean they dont have it. Its become very clear that they do have it, but that doesnt mean it's going to be released right away. Because of the news story Im apt to think it could be coming sooner than later now.. maybe part of an October release or by the end of the year. I can MD being released with the Brood in October. La Dolce Vita was also on the page , hasnt been announced *officially* and there is a thread for that too , and I dont seen anyone whining or arguing where that thread should be. Arguing over the placement of threads...boy is that time well spent
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #452
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsman71 View Post
And they also posted the Innocents was coming , plus David Lynch dropped that very cool clue last year. Just because it hasn't been announced does not mean they dont have it. Its become very clear that they do have it, but that doesnt mean it's going to be released right away. Because of the news story Im apt to think it could be coming sooner than later now.. maybe part of an October release or by the end of the year. I can MD being released with the Brood in October. La Dolce Vita was also on the page , hasnt been announced *officially* and there is a thread for that too , and I dont seen anyone whining or arguing where that thread should be. Arguing over the placement of threads...boy is that time well spent
And yet here you are.

Rules are rules. They shouldn't be bent, or broken, just because this happens to be heavily rumored.
It's quite simple: Announcement or Wishlist.
Clearly the rules are being ignored here. Which is, to say the least, quite troubling.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #453
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, Florida

The two scenes I am really looking forward to seeing done up nice on Blu-ray are the Picturesque view of the city at night from Mulholland Drive and well you can guess the other one
Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #454
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheMovieGuy View Post
The two scenes I am really looking forward to seeing done up nice on Blu-ray are the Picturesque view of the city at night from Mulholland Drive and well you can guess the other one
Oh, we know

[Show spoiler]
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #455

Jun 2014

It is simply the greatest film ever made.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:59 AM   #456

Sep 2008

Quote:
you can guess the other one
Old 06-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #457
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
The "other one" will still be blurred out
Old 06-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #458
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illy Scorsese View Post
The Coffee Scene is one of the most bizarre/hilarious things I've ever seen...
I thought you meant the diner scene. That's one of the scariest things I've ever seen.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America