COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Noah (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Labor Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Samurai Bride: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Les Misérables (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
House of Bodies (Blu-ray)
$13.48
Kill Bill: 1 & 2 Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #13841
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
Speaking of that concert here's one of my fav videos on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constitution 101 View Post
Wow, that is really something. What a cool way to experience that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petra_Kalbrain View Post
So, what I want to know is, did they actually get a print of the film without the orchestration soundtrack built into it so they could do this? If so, that IS quite amazing. Or, is the live orchestra just playing overtop of the films music while it plays in the background? That could prove quite annoying more than impressive.
I saw The Two Towers at Ravinia in Chicago last year, here's a short video someone uploaded of it there:

And like I said ROTK will be there this August which I'm going to again.

And yes, they actually play the film without any music or vocals on the screen; all of that comes from the orchestra and choir. It makes for an incredible experience, I definitely recommend going if you ever get the chance.
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz

Last edited by BaerGriggs; 07-09-2014 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #13842
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Florida

I had the privilege of seeing The Fellowship of the Ring Score Live to Projection when they did it at Radio City Musical Hall in New York City in '09. Elijah Wood and Billy Boyd were there (and came up on stage at the end). It was quite the event. Here's a video on YouTube from that night:

I also got to go see Billy and his band play the night before at Joe's Pub in NYC. I took a picture with him and got him to sign my FotR Theatrical DVD, my Master and Commander Collector's Edition DVD, & a CD of his music that I bought that evening at the performance. Elijah was there as well.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #13843
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn the Elfstone View Post
I had the privilege of seeing The Fellowship of the Ring Score Live to Projection when they did it at Radio City Musical Hall in New York City in '09. Elijah Wood and Billy Boyd were there (and came up on stage at the end). It was quite the event. Here's a video on YouTube from that night:

I also got to go see Billy and his band play the night before at Joe's Pub in NYC. I took a picture with him and got him to sign my FotR Theatrical DVD, my Master and Commander Collector's Edition DVD, & a CD of his music that I bought that evening at the performance. Elijah was there as well.
Very nice! I was always a bit bummed that I never got to see Fellowship of the Ring in Concert, but there's a ton of videos out there for it and I've watched those over the years. Ravinia, where I saw it, is actually an open air pavilion, with a humongous lawn outside with even more speakers and screens for general admission people to watch. There were several thousand people at The Two Towers last year and I expect even more this year at ROTK.
"Oh, and on the off chance there are any astronomy aficionados amongst you, the North Star is that one. Tata." - Dr. King Schultz
Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #13844
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
Very nice! I was always a bit bummed that I never got to see Fellowship of the Ring in Concert, but there's a ton of videos out there for it and I've watched those over the years. Ravinia, where I saw it, is actually an open air pavilion, with a humongous lawn outside with even more speakers and screens for general admission people to watch. There were several thousand people at The Two Towers last year and I expect even more this year at ROTK.
Ravinia is awesome, especially on the sprawling lawn.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:31 PM   #13845

Jan 2012
Parts Unknown

I saw FOTR and TTT live to projection at Radio City, two years in a row IN THE SAME SEATS nonetheless.

Rumor has it Return of the King is coming next year to Lincoln Center, but I've seen nothing concrete.
Projector: Sony VPL-VW70
Speakers: (2) Klipsch RF-82, (1) RC-82, (2) RS-42, (2) RS-52
Subwoofers: (1) Klipsch RSW-10d, (1) Polk RM 7200
Receiver: Onyko TX-NR709
Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Universal Remote Control URC MX880
Vutec VuFlex Pro 103" screen
Old 07-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #13846
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_WM View Post
I saw FOTR and TTT live to projection at Radio City, two years in a row IN THE SAME SEATS nonetheless.

Rumor has it Return of the King is coming next year to Lincoln Center, but I've seen nothing concrete.
It's a shame they didn't keep it going and finish up with RotK at RCMH. I wonder why it was abandoned.

I am happy I got to attend the one for FotR. If I had to pick one, I'm glad that was it. There was so much collective excitement that night. It was unreal.

It was one of the few times that I've acted on impulse concerning an event/trip out of state. I bought the tickets without thinking too much about it and just decided I'd work out the details afterward.

So happy I did.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 07-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #13847
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
It's a shame they didn't keep it going and finish up with RotK at RCMH. I wonder why it was abandoned.

I am happy I got to attend the one for FotR. If I had to pick one, I'm glad that was it. There was so much collective excitement that night. It was unreal.

It was one of the few times that I've acted on impulse concerning an event/trip out of state. I bought the tickets without thinking too much about it and just decided I'd work out the details afterward.

So happy I did.
It's a good 7 hour drive for me to get to Chicago to be able to see it. Granted there's tons of other things I do in Chicago while I'm there like go watch a Cardinals-Cubs game like I did last year, but the main reason I go is for the concert.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 PM   #13848

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

Is there a website for this concert series? I would like to see if they are coming near me.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #13849
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by invenio View Post
Is there a website for this concert series? I would like to see if they are coming near me.
Your best bet is either www.howardshore.com or www.musicoflotr.com. The first is obviously Howard Shore's official website, the composer of the LOTR score, and the second is a blog of sorts run by Doug Adams, who wrote a book called "Music of the Lord of the Rings," in collaboration with Shore. Doug is a great guy and still goes around the country to conventions and such discussion the music of the trilogy; I believe a book by himon the music in The Hobbit trilogy will be in the works soon. There used to be an official website for the Lord of the Rings Concert Series, but it's long been down by my recollection, as these concerts were more common a few years ago than they are now. Ravinia is the last LOTR concert during 2014 that's in the USA.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #13850

Mar 2009
New Hampshire

I'm surprised they are not touring. I would figure there would be more than enough interest (and money to be made), especially with the Hobbit films being released on a yearly basis.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #13851

Jan 2012
Parts Unknown

Quote:

So happy I did.
It's not that it was abandoned. Radio City took in a permanent residency of a Cirque de Soleil show that basically took over the venue.
Projector: Sony VPL-VW70
Speakers: (2) Klipsch RF-82, (1) RC-82, (2) RS-42, (2) RS-52
Subwoofers: (1) Klipsch RSW-10d, (1) Polk RM 7200
Receiver: Onyko TX-NR709
Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Universal Remote Control URC MX880
Vutec VuFlex Pro 103" screen
Old 07-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #13852

Aug 2010

I'm watching Fellowship of the Ring (without commentary) for the first time since I got my surround sound system, and it's awesome. That opening prologue battle sounded AMAZING, especially the part where Sauron explodes... the whole room was shaking, it was so cool
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:07 PM   #13853
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_WM View Post

a little late to the party isn't it?

"Return of the King" in concert form was performed in 2010 at Wolf Trap, Vienna Virginia

The King Returns at Wolf Trap
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #13854
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
a little late to the party isn't it?
"Return of the King" in concert form was performed in 2010 at Wolf Trap, Vienna Virginia

The King Returns at Wolf Trap
Maybe in Fraggle Rock you can jet ski all over the planet, but he's talking about and to people in NYC - which is a long cab ride from Virginia.
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #13855
Power Member

Mar 2012
Columbia, MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
I'm watching Fellowship of the Ring (without commentary) for the first time since I got my surround sound system, and it's awesome. That opening prologue battle sounded AMAZING, especially the part where Sauron explodes... the whole room was shaking, it was so cool
This was the first scene that I used to test out my surround system. I'm not positive if it's still the case, but for a time I think the scene where Sauron explodes had the lowest bass extension of any home video release...something crazy like 7 Hz. Obviously below human hearing range, but you can sure feel it.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #13856
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Quote:
This was the first scene that I used to test out my surround system. I'm not positive if it's still the case, but for a time I think the scene where Sauron explodes had the lowest bass extension of any home video release...something crazy like 7 Hz. Obviously below human hearing range, but you can sure feel it.
Not sure if it's lower, but try the seismic charges in Star Wars Episode II. They used to use that scene to test subwoofers at Circuit City.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:31 PM   #13857
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Maybe in Fraggle Rock you can jet ski all over the planet, but he's talking about and to people in NYC - which is a long cab ride from Virginia.

we do get around

oh yes, the center of the known Universe ... for once we Washingtonians got the US premier of all three films in concert form before NYC.... [blows raspberry]

not but seriously it is rather odd that New York City hasn't had RotK - since Virginia has had a repeat performance of 'Fellowship'.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #13858
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post

we do get around ...
You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #13859

Aug 2010

Quote:
Absolutely.

And OMG I just got out of Moria... that Bridge of Khazad Dum scene was just... astoundingly awesome.
But the thing that makes Woody special, is he'll never give up on you... ever. He'll be there for you, no matter what.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 AM   #13860
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
So, have your neighbours been enjoying it as much?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America