Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home Alone Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$49.48
My Own Private Idaho (Blu-ray)
$26.19
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 07-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #1181
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Paramount has the live action Dreamworks SKG films but Universal had them before. Paramount used to have Dreamworks Animation but those all moved to Fox. There is now Dreamworks set up at Disney which drops the SKG, however, Disney is using Touchstone Pictures to distribute Dreamworks productions.

There are a small handful of Dreamworks SKG films still not on Blu-ray which are under the Paramount/Warner deal like MouseHunt, In Dreams, The Haunting, and Forces of Nature.
There's some understandable conflation/confusion going on here because the situation is a little messy.

Universal distributed physical product for "Dreamworks 1" via the now-defunct UMVD (Universal Music and Video Distribution). It's not my understanding this had anything to do with underlying rights to the works themselves (just looked at my POE DVD and DW Toby Keith CDs).

DW Animation's new theatrical and home vid distribution is with Fox. But it's now my understanding that rights to all catalog DWA pictures in existence at the time of the sale of DW1 to National Amusements/Viacom/Paramount went to Par. I wish there was some carveout whereby Jeffrey retained ownership of his films. But after the passage of a few years since I last went back and forth with another member about this, it sure seems to me that if Katzenjammer held these rights he'd have exploited them by now with (3D) BDs given how bullish he was about 3D a few years ago.

The new DW ("Dreamworks 2"), which started as basically Sir Steven and Stacey Snider with independent money from India's Reliance Development Group, has a theatrical (and I think home vid) distrib deal with Touchstone. This applies to everything since The Help. This has nothing to do with the catalog title situation where it's my understanding Par is the rights holder. I don't think we know if DW1 catalogers like the titles you mention (plus one I like, House Of Sand and Fog) are on the list of the 600 titles Par licensed to WHV . . .?

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 07-05-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #1182
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
DW Animation's new theatrical and home vid distribution is with Fox. But it's now my understanding that rights to all catalog DWA pictures in existence at the time of the sale of DW1 to National Amusements/Viacom/Paramount went to Par.
According to this article: Paramount retains home video distribution for all DWA films up to Rise of The Guardians until 2028.

But the DWA/Fox deal is only for five years.

Also, despite Paramount supposedly retaining home video for the films prior to The Croods: Dreamworks Animation titles were part of Fox's new animation slipcover promo:

Image belongs to strumdogg from this post.

So is Fox paying Paramount to include the Shrek films which doesn't have a sequel under Fox's distro deal? The same goes for the Madagascar franchise unless you count The Penquins of Madagascar.

Hard to say at this point. The DWA/Fox deal is just as confusing as the Lucasfilm/Disney deal.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #1183

Feb 2015

All of the Paramount titles in Warner's upcoming October 13th wave have gone "Currently Unavailable" on Amazon, and are apparently listed as "cutout" releases on Warner's press site now. I have to wonder if this could be a sign that this distribution agreement won't be renewed after all.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #1184
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangmacher View Post
All of the Paramount titles in Warner's upcoming October 13th wave have gone "Currently Unavailable" on Amazon, and are apparently listed as "cutout" releases on Warner's press site now. I have to wonder if this could be a sign that this distribution agreement won't be renewed after all.
Only The Core is showing as cutout on the site, everything else is fine for now.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #1185

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Only The Core is showing as cutout on the site, everything else is fine for now.
Oh, my bad. I was going off your previous post and my own hunch. My apologies.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #1186
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Oh well. The deal was pretty much a bust, anyway. I think WB has released around 40-41 Paramount titles total for the 3 year period (new to BD titles, that is). That's less than 15 catalog releases a year--and not much different from what Paramount was doing before the deal.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #1187
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Oh well. The deal was pretty much a bust, anyway. I think WB has released around 40-41 Paramount titles total for the 3 year period (new to BD titles, that is). That's less than 15 catalog releases a year--and not much different from what Paramount was doing before the deal.
It wasn't really designed to be any different, just to save Paramount some money over direct distribution.
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #1188
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

I've been disappointed in the number of Paramount releases through WB as there are still quite a few movies I'd still like to see get a Blu upgrade. A majority of the titles in the deal have only been released on DVD.

It's good to see titles like Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider are getting a Blu-ray release in the US but those titles were both released internationally by Paramount 1-2 years ago. So, why it took this long to be released in the US is beyond me.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:32 PM   #1189
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
It's good to see titles like Kiss the Girls and Along Came a Spider are getting a Blu-ray release in the US but those titles were both released internationally by Paramount 1-2 years ago. So, why it took this long to be released in the US is beyond me.
That whole wave of recently announced titles (Witness, The Core, Escape from Alcatraz, Team America, etc) have all been available outside the US for a while now. Then you've got titles like the Naked Gun sequels (that were part of the WB deal) and the Beverly Hills Cop sequels (not part of the WB deal) also available in other regions, but with no US release date in sight for any of them.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #1190
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
That whole wave of recently announced titles (Witness, The Core, Escape from Alcatraz, Team America, etc) have all been available outside the US for a while now. Then you've got titles like the Naked Gun sequels (that were part of the WB deal) and the Beverly Hills Cop sequels (not part of the WB deal) also available in other regions, but with no US release date in sight for any of them.
Studios are weird, they wait for cross-promotions or go by what execs have a passion for a lot of the time. The European branches often have their own decision-makers, making different decisions. Also I have read numerous articles stating that the US is embracing streaming and downloads much faster than Europe, which perhaps has distracted studio attention.

Witness overseas is bare-bones too I believe, so hopefully the US version has the DVD features.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #1191
Power Member

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
According to this article: Paramount retains home video distribution for all DWA films up to Rise of The Guardians until 2028.

But the DWA/Fox deal is only for five years.

Also, despite Paramount supposedly retaining home video for the films prior to The Croods: Dreamworks Animation titles were part of Fox's new animation slipcover promo:

Image belongs to strumdogg from this post.

So is Fox paying Paramount to include the Shrek films which doesn't have a sequel under Fox's distro deal? The same goes for the Madagascar franchise unless you count The Penquins of Madagascar.

Hard to say at this point. The DWA/Fox deal is just as confusing as the Lucasfilm/Disney deal.
Not really. According to this article, Fox now has ownership of the pre-2013 DreamWorks Animation library:
http://variety.com/2014/biz/news/dre...es-1201271262/
Old 07-12-2015, 11:34 PM   #1192
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailwraps View Post
Not really. According to this article, Fox now has ownership of the pre-2013 DreamWorks Animation library:
Nowhere does it say it say that. They say Fox is handling those, as in distribution.
Thanks given by:
Nailwraps (07-12-2015), Paul.R.S (07-12-2015)
Old 07-12-2015, 11:45 PM   #1193
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Thanks for that Variety link.

But there's an important distinction that needs to be made. In pertinent part, the article reads: "DreamWorks [Animation] said that it has purchased distribution rights to all its feature films prior to 2013 from Paramount and going forward, those films will be handled by Fox."

The way that reads, Fox didn't buy anything. Jeffrey did. He bought distrib rights to his movies back from Par and likely has done a licensing deal for home vid rights to (his new theatrical distribber) Fox.

This may shed light on why some DWA pics (Antz, POE, Chicken Run, Small Soldiers) have been MIA on Stateside BD for so long: Par probably wasn't interested in releasing them, they weren't licensed to WHV and Jeffrey wasn't in a position until last year to do anything about it.

Interesting and thank you again for that link.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #1194
Power Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Toshiro beat me to it while I was typing and before refreshing.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:58 PM   #1195
Power Member

Jun 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Nowhere does it say it say that. They say Fox is handling those, as in distribution.
Well that's what I meant. They own distribution rights.

Last edited by Nailwraps; 07-13-2015 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:11 AM   #1196
Blu-ray Prince

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Well that's what I meant.
I figured you might have, wasn't sure
Thanks given by:
Nailwraps (07-13-2015)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #1197

Apr 2014

Do WB ever add new extras or new transfers to any of these movies or is it all old stuff
Old 07-21-2015, 05:54 PM   #1198
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
"Them!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
Do WB ever add new extras or new transfers to any of these movies or is it all old stuff
They're exactly the same. On many of the early re-releases that came out, they just had a WB UPC sticker placed over the original Paramount UPC.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #1199
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
No.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #1200
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Some of the releases under this agreement have new-to-BD features, if that's what you mean. Vanilla Sky for example. You probably meant old BDs they redistributed though, in which case others are correct: no.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors