Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Universe: The Complete Series Megaset (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Last Ship: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.27
War & Peace (Blu-ray)
$24.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Star Wars: Episodes IV-VI (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Gods of Egypt 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Kung Fu Panda 3 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Expanse: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Revenant (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Witch (Blu-ray)
$16.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #2141
goodnitesteve goodnitesteve is offline
Active Member
 
goodnitesteve's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
Long Island, New York
Default

Seeing this projected on 35mm, should be great. Never saw a Lynch film in theaters before, though I was plenty old enough to see Inland Empire first time out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #2142
Drooch Drooch is offline
Active Member
 
Drooch's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Molotiu View Post
Hi. Newbie here, I just joined to ask this question. I just got a copy of the Criterion Blu Ray, ordered from Amazon. However, it is not letterboxed, despite the claimed 1.85 aspect ratio. Also, every once in a while, these three horizontal lighter stripes flash up, especially on the left side of the screen. I saw artifacts mentioned above but this is much worse than that.



(Phone snapshot from paused image. This is from the crash scene at the beginning, but these stripes flash up, for a frame or so, throughout the movie.)

Do these problems appear in all copies? They seem so bizarre, that I wonder if Amazon is now selling pirated discs. I guess my question is, whether to return the disc to Amazon to get another copy, or just get a refund and wait for a new Blu Ray release. I've had the DVD for ages, I can wait some more.
I've got the same problem! Watching it on my Kuro and no other blu reacts like this, I have to seriously drop the sharpness to stop it from being distracting and by that time it resembles the Studio Canal release. Anyone got solutions for this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #2143
MEB MEB is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
MEB's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
17
1071
76
1
Default

I just watched 'Mulholland Dr" last night. I had small black bars at top and bottom and never noticed any horizontal lines.

FWIW, I have adjusted my 75" Vizio 4K display for no overscan on any side.

Mark
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:59 PM   #2144
cakefactory cakefactory is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cakefactory's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
WI, USA
1239
726
1
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooch View Post
I've got the same problem! Watching it on my Kuro and no other blu reacts like this, I have to seriously drop the sharpness to stop it from being distracting and by that time it resembles the Studio Canal release. Anyone got solutions for this?
The solution as posted in this thread earlier is to turn off artificial sharpening. This isn't a problem unique to this disc, but it is fairly rare, and is just a case of some settings on TVs not jiving with the disc. Some other guy was posting earlier about how his 4k tv has a few different settings that can cause crap like this, so he often had to adjust certain settings to compensate for certain discs.

If you don't feel like turning it off temporarily, you're just out of luck here I guess.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #2145
bhampton bhampton is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
bhampton's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
1453
5
12
Default

I bought this from B&N during a sale and only opened it yesterday.

My copy looks perfect but has problems in playback.

I can't find any record of the B&N transaction. I emailed Criterion for help.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #2146
Oniros Oniros is offline
Senior Member
 
Oniros's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada
112
7
65
7
4
Default

I just watched this for the first time last night and it blew my brains out. Very good movie. Am I crazy to think that at times it didn't feel like it was filmed at 24 Hz? Sometimes some scenes played incredibly smooth, maybe it's because this was meant to be for TV at some point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Orlok View Post
Other than that, it looks great and I love how Criterion kept from adding a scene select option.
I found this very odd tbh. Why did they do this?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM   #2147
eiknarf eiknarf is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
New York
376
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
I just watched this for the first time last night and it blew my brains out.



I found this (no chapter selection) very odd tbh. Why did they do this?
Because Lynch wants you to watch the entire film in one sitting. No jumping around.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (02-16-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #2148
JimDiGriz JimDiGriz is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
JimDiGriz's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
UK
347
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
I just watched this for the first time last night and it blew my brains out. Very good movie. Am I crazy to think that at times it didn't feel like it was filmed at 24 Hz? Sometimes some scenes played incredibly smooth, maybe it's because this was meant to be for TV at some point?



I found this very odd tbh. Why did they do this?
Not crazy because the first half(ish) of the film was made for a TV series that never happened. The second half(ish) of the film was filmed at a later date. There's a lot more to the story than that if you google it of course.
Come on, we gotta make a robot or something! Do something! You’re Mr. Science! Make something!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #2149
saprano saprano is online now
Blu-ray Champion
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
350
2
1
Send a message via AIM to saprano
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilResident View Post
I, no joke, "broke in" to my mother-in-law's house with the help of my husband to properly calibrate her tv while she was out shopping. He helped because he knew it drove me nuts that she had everything set to "torch" and motion interpolation turned on.
This didn't get enough quotes. You are a true home theater enthusiasts.

Haha. That's amazing
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:25 PM   #2150
italy12 italy12 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
italy12's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
1177
1
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Because Lynch wants you to watch the entire film in one sitting. No jumping around.
I honestly thought it was because he didn't want people going immediately to "the scene".

I remember hearing that around the time of the DVD release. Not sure how accurate that it, though.
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Films by spine:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Criterion profile:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/36842-david
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #2151
eiknarf eiknarf is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
New York
376
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
I honestly thought it was because he didn't want people going immediately to "the scene".

I remember hearing that around the time of the DVD release. Not sure how accurate that it, though.
No, that's not why.
He added blur to "it" on the DVD because he didn't want anyone to screen grab Laura's lower half.

When it comes to the "no chapter selection" on the DVD or Blu-ray, ask yourself this: Were there chapter selections when you saw this (or any film) in theaters?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #2152
Oniros Oniros is offline
Senior Member
 
Oniros's Avatar
 
Sep 2012
Vancouver, Canada
112
7
65
7
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
I honestly thought it was because he didn't want people going immediately to "the scene".

I remember hearing that around the time of the DVD release. Not sure how accurate that it, though.
It might be more along those lines. After all, the censorship was removed from the BD release.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:41 PM   #2153
I KEEL YOU I KEEL YOU is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
I KEEL YOU's Avatar
 
May 2011
303
41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniros View Post
It might be more along those lines. After all, the censorship was removed from the BD release.
I don't think that's the reason. Eraserhead also doesn't have any chapters.
"I couldn't think of a more horrible job if I wanted to. And you have to do it. You have to!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #2154
italy12 italy12 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
italy12's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
1177
1
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
No, that's not why.
He added blur to "it" on the DVD because he didn't want anyone to screen grab Laura's lower half.

When it comes to the "no chapter selection" on the DVD or Blu-ray, ask yourself this: Were there chapter selections when you saw this (or any film) in theaters?
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute...

Ask yourself this, pop in any DVD or BD you own that doesn't say Mulholland Drive (and apparently Eraserhead) on the cover. Do any of those have chapter stops?

Also, while I don't think either reason is really sound, it is ultimately Lynch's decision. If anyone wanted to either find the naughty bits, or forward to a scene from where they last viewed, one could easily fast forward using their remote's controls, eh?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Films by spine:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Criterion profile:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/36842-david
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #2155
Impossible Impossible is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Mar 2010
3
Default

You do know players have fast forward button right?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #2156
eiknarf eiknarf is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
New York
376
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute...

Ask yourself this, pop in any DVD or BD you own that doesn't say Mulholland Drive (and apparently Eraserhead) on the cover. Do any of those have chapter stops?

Also, while I don't think either reason is really sound, it is ultimately Lynch's decision. If anyone wanted to either find the naughty bits, or forward to a scene from where they last viewed, one could easily fast forward using their remote's controls, eh?
The lack of chapters has nothing to do with "Laura's naughty bits". Haaaaaa
The blurring on the DVD was for that.
And the blu-ray doesn't have the blur. It's just naturally darker (plus it's 2016 and ridiculous to think that's what people need to get their Porn)

The lack of chapters is solely intended for you to have incentive to watch Mulholland Dr in one sitting.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
italy12 (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #2157
eiknarf eiknarf is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
eiknarf's Avatar
 
Feb 2011
New York
376
10
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a minute...

Ask yourself this, pop in any DVD or BD you own that doesn't say Mulholland Drive (and apparently Eraserhead) on the cover. Do any of those have chapter stops?

Also, while I don't think either reason is really sound, it is ultimately Lynch's decision. If anyone wanted to either find the naughty bits, or forward to a scene from where they last viewed, one could easily fast forward using their remote's controls, eh?
I see your point, though.
Now, I'd never ffd or jump to a chapter when watching a movie like this (you'll lose the flow and momentum), but, others should be free to.

However, although I'm a proud believer in "give us the CHOICE to do what we want with our paid for item", I also need to support Lynch's freedom to do what he chooses to do with the product he's selling. Maybe the lack of chapters will prevent some people from buying it? That's Lynch's prerogative.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #2158
AlexIlDottore AlexIlDottore is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
AlexIlDottore's Avatar
 
Jan 2014
France
217
180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy12 View Post
I honestly thought it was because he didn't want people going immediately to "the scene".

I remember hearing that around the time of the DVD release. Not sure how accurate that it, though.
No. Lynch wants you to see the film in one sitting, from beginning to end.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #2159
TimD TimD is offline
Active Member
 
TimD's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
No. Lynch wants you to see the film in one sitting, from beginning to end.
Correct. The Straight Story DVD didn't have chapter stops either.


Last edited by TimD; 02-17-2016 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added image
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #2160
italy12 italy12 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
italy12's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
1177
1
7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
I see your point, though.
Now, I'd never ffd or jump to a chapter when watching a movie like this (you'll lose the flow and momentum), but, others should be free to.

However, although I'm a proud believer in "give us the CHOICE to do what we want with our paid for item", I also need to support Lynch's freedom to do what he chooses to do with the product he's selling. Maybe the lack of chapters will prevent some people from buying it? That's Lynch's prerogative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexIlDottore View Post
No. Lynch wants you to see the film in one sitting, from beginning to end.
It makes sense...his movies are definitely the type that work better in one sitting.

However...if you cannot watch the movie in one sitting, or are forced to not watch the movie in one sitting, then chapter stops come in handy. Now viewers are forced to use the FFD buttons on their remote and wait for the time stamp where they last left off.

I get what everyone is saying, and I'm really not trying to argue. I was honestly saying that I thought I remembered the chapter stops being omitted because of the naughty bits scene.

Then I said that whether the reason for this omission was that, or for the ability to view the movie in one sitting, they both are negated by the fact that you DO have a FFD button!
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed..."

Films by spine:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterio...?sort_by=spine

My Criterion profile:
http://www.criterion.com/my_criterion/36842-david
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:52 PM.