COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Eraserhead (Blu-ray)
$29.10
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$28.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #181
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonschmidt View Post
Just bought this from a member here and am waiting for it to arrive. I skimmed through the review and it contains 3 versions? For a first viewing, which is recommended to watch?
It's the same cut, just 3 different aspect ratios. I'd go for 1.66:1 personally.
Thanks given by:
BLUgrass (05-18-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #182
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Just watching this transfer for the first time, and the b&w palette is beautifully broad, and the clarity and depth of detail are lovely indeed ...

but what's the story with the grain?

To clarify, I'm not anti-grain by any means. But this seems a little excessive, especially for a transfer that came from the original camera negative. I find it hard to believe that an early-generation print would ever have looked quite this speckled, so why does this transfer? (I do wonder if the BD encoding software is sometimes as unkind to grain as it often is to matted-in graphics. The grain often looks a wee bit exaggerated to me — it's slight, but noticeable.) It's not a major issue, of course, but I'm curious about this aspect of a transfer.

I'd appreciating hearing any thoughts.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #183
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Just watching this transfer for the first time, and the b&w palette is beautifully broad, and the clarity and depth of detail are lovely indeed ...

To clarify, I'm not anti-grain by any means. But this seems a little excessive, especially for a transfer that came from the original camera negative. I find it hard to believe that an early-generation print would ever have looked quite this speckled, so why does this transfer? (I do wonder if the BD encoding software is sometimes as unkind to grain as it often is to matted-in graphics. The grain often looks a wee bit exaggerated to me — it's slight, but noticeable.) It's not a major issue, of course, but I'm curious about this aspect of a transfer.

I think it's just how it's supposed to look. On the last page, some screenshot comparisons were posted with Sony's European BD release which has better encoding than Criterion's disc. Still seems equally grainy.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #184
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Yes, I see that the grain pattern is pretty much the same. But wouldn't that be because it's from the same transfer?
Old 06-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #185
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

Quote:
Yes, I see that the grain pattern is pretty much the same. But wouldn't that be because it's from the same transfer?
Yes. From your previous post it sounded to me like you were wondering whether the encoding was responsible for a noisy image. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #186

Jan 2008

The Sony european compression was better . Some of the criterion shots look like parquetry flooring

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screen...36&position=23

anyway , they've not DNR'd this which is a good thing
DEATH TO TEAL RAY
Old 06-04-2014, 04:46 PM   #187
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
Yes. From your previous post it sounded to me like you were wondering whether the encoding was responsible for a noisy image. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Nothing to apologise for, Rizor. I'm just trying to work out what results in this effect, and I guess I was musing out loud in my last post. I'm sorry myself if it sounded like I was dismissing what you had said, when in fact I appreciated your replies.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:05 PM   #188

Jul 2012

There is a Swedish edition available, will I regret purchasing said version gentlemen ?

Sony STR-DH820 7.2 AV Reciever
Yamaha YSFSW050 Subwoofer
Wharfedale Diamond 9 Speakers
Panasonic Centre Speaker
PS3
XB1
Old 07-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #189

Feb 2014
Sweden

Picture quality wise no, overall yes.
Thanks given by:
DJ KNIGHT XIII (07-14-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #190
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
The Jungle Room

Quote:

It needs to be scrubbed.
BD Wantlist: 1. Le Samouraï 2. Ikiru 3. Nights of Cabiria 4. La Strada 5. The Burbs 6. Murder By Death 7. Hooper 8. The Abyss 9. True Lies 10. The Little Princess 11. Love Affair (1994) 12. Into the Night 13. The Remains of the Day 14. The Gumball Rally 15. The Magnificent Ambersons 16. Urban Cowboy 17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 18. Blame it on Rio 19. Under the Rainbow 20. The Pirate Movie

A Guide to Film Noir Genre ~ Roger Ebert
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America