Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Old 01-12-2014, 01:56 AM   #681

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
The first error you mention, am I correct that things are cool in the "enhanced effects" version (and why watch the original if the new ones are supposed to be better)?
No problem with the "enhanced effects" version. However the original effects version was included for a reason.

One of the reasons for viewing the the original effects version is consistency in the title style between the two pilots. The other is to see the rather scarce amount of film of the 33 inch model of the USS Enterprise as it was originally delivered in 1964, and the only shot of the 11 foot model that was included in the original pilot. The 11 foot model was also modified prior to shooting Where No Man Has Gone Before, so it never appears in this exact configuration again (although the same shot was used a stock shot in other episodes). The shots of the 33 inch model used in The Cage were never used again in any other episode.

The color on these shots on the last DVD version was correct, so I'm really disappointed that they messed them up for the Blu-ray.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 AM   #682
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
No problem with the "enhanced effects" version. However the original effects version was included for a reason.

One of the reasons for viewing the the original effects version is consistency in the title style between the two pilots. The other is to see the rather scarce amount of film of the 33 inch model of the USS Enterprise as it was originally delivered in 1964, and the only shot of the 11 foot model that was included in the original pilot. The 11 foot model was also modified prior to shooting Where No Man Has Gone Before, so it never appears in this exact configuration again (although the same shot was used a stock shot in other episodes). The shots of the 33 inch model used in The Cage were never used again in any other episode.

The color on these shots on the last DVD version was correct, so I'm really disappointed that they messed them up for the Blu-ray.
Thanks. I intend to watch the revamped editions, but now I'll check out both Cage versions to see what this "11 foot model" looks like.
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #683

Jul 2009

I wish they would fix the problem with "The City on the Edge of Forever" where you can't switch to the original effects during the tricorder scenes. The angle button appears but you can't switch over. Mistake during authoring I suppose. I would like to see the original tricorder.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #684
Power Member

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

Star Trek is almost 50.

In May of 1964, Gene Roddenberry and Herbert F. Solow had a pitch meeting with NBC executives for a new show. Although they explained the show well, the NBC execs were not convinced, and so....(according to the Trek site Memory Alpha):

"...Neither Grant Tinker – who was also present at the meeting and was, at the time, NBC Vice President of Programs, West Coast – nor Jerry Stanley was convinced to agree to a series deal with Roddenberry and Solow. Just as Roddenberry was about to leave the room, Solow made a last-ditch attempt to persuade the NBC executives, stating, "If you give us a commitment for a ninety-minute script instead of one hour, and we make the pilot, you can always run it as a TV special and recoup your investment if it doesn't sell as a series. Besides, I'm not leaving this room until you give us a script order." This was enough to sway NBC's stance and the executives agreed to make a deal. (Inside Star Trek: The Real Story, pp. 6, 19-20)"

Here were are, 50 years later, and many are wondering about the odds of Star Trek making it back onto the air for the 50th anniversary year of its first broadcast, which would make if 2016.

My guess is that it'll happen, at least as a limited series or a miniseries. But I could be wrong. CBS, which owns the rights for Trek for TV seems lukewarm at best....

There's a discussion over in the "Television" section about the possibility of Trek returning to tv. Hope some of you here will go over and post your thoughts.

link:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=229466

Last edited by benbess; 01-12-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #685
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

If you really want it. Ben, including a link is always more helpful. Jes sayin' ...
Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.-Mark Twain

Old 01-12-2014, 03:44 PM   #686

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbess View Post
In May of 1964, Gene Roddenberry and Herbert F. Solow had a pitch meeting with NBC executives for a new show. Although they explained the show well, the NBC execs were not convinced, and so....(according to the Trek site Memory Alpha):
You might find this page interesting if you haven't seen it already. It includes copies of the of the typewritten pitch from March 1964, and the Desilu contract from June 1964.

Star Trek History: THE CAGE PAGE
Old 01-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #687

Mar 2011
Chatsworth, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff75 View Post
I wish they would fix the problem with "The City on the Edge of Forever" where you can't switch to the original effects during the tricorder scenes. The angle button appears but you can't switch over. Mistake during authoring I suppose. I would like to see the original tricorder.
Are the original effects still in the original version? You just can't toggle between the two, or are the original effects replaced completely?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:30 PM   #688
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Quote:
You might find this page interesting if you haven't seen it already. It includes copies of the of the typewritten pitch from March 1964, and the Desilu contract from June 1964.

That is great, thanks for the link.
George Lucas didn't rape anyone's childhood but he did ruin Star Wars.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #689
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:

Thanks for the great link, KC!

Old 01-12-2014, 11:49 PM   #690

Mar 2013
-

Quote:

What a cool site. Thanks! They had some great stories from the beginning and its interesting to compare what they had with how things turned out.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:04 AM   #691

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslein View Post
Are the original effects still in the original version? You just can't toggle between the two, or are the original effects replaced completely?
The original effects are still in the original version as well as the new effects are in the new version. But, it appears that being able to switch back-and-forth between them while they are playing is not. So, one would just have to select which version they want to watch at the beginning of the episode.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:30 AM   #692

Jul 2009

Not in that section of that particular episode. You can't view the original effects in that scene. The angle button is there like it is anytime there is a new effect, but you can't view the original..it was clearly a mistake.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #693

Apr 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviebuff75 View Post
Not in that section of that particular episode. You can't view the original effects in that scene. The angle button is there like it is anytime there is a new effect, but you can't view the original..it was clearly a mistake.
I've looked at this fairly closely in combination with a online copy of the episode in the original version, and this is my analysis. I am playing the disc on an Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player.

In the original version, all the film clips shown on the tricorder's video screen appear hard cut around the edges (as if with scissors). This is particularly evident as black space between the edge of the film image and the silver edge of the tri-corder screen on the lower left and upper right corners of the image.

The first tricorder scene starting at 30:31: Both versions are available on the Blu-ray disc. On the enhanced version the edges of the film image are softened and consistent around the edge of the tricorder screen. It appears the film images were re-composited onto the tricorder screen for the enhanced version. The differences between the two versions are subtle. The most obvious difference is the appearance of screen noise on the tricorder at the end of the scene. This is presented somewhat differently. Still the tricorder itself is exactly the same. I am able to use the angle button to switch between the versions, but it takes several seconds for the Blu-ray player to respond, so often the version won't change within the short time the scene is shown.

The second tricorder scene starting at 31:28: Same as the first scene. The image on the tricorder screen during the burn-out at the end appears to be blurred film images (as in film running rapidly through projector without a shutter) on the original version, and colorful video noise on the enhanced version. Again, I am able to use the angle button to switch between the versions, but it is slow to respond.

The third tricorder scene starting at 40:00: There does appear to be an error here. Both angles appear to contain the enhanced version. Other than the scissor like cutout of the film image on the original vs. the soft edged film image on the enhanced, the only thing I see different is that just after Spock says, "There's no mistake Captain. Let me run it again." the screen image is a blurred film image on the original (as in film running rapidly through projector without a shutter), and just a kind of flashing gray on the enhanced version. The original version of this scene does not appear to be contained on the Blu-ray disc so I'm using the online video of the original version of this episode for the comparison of this scene.

In all cases the tricorder itself and Spock's fingers appear to be identical in both versions.

When I'm referring to the angle button, the BDP-103 doesn't actually have a dedicated angle button, but there is an angle change selection in the option menu, and that's what I'm using.

Last edited by KC-Technerd; 01-14-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 AM   #694

Jul 2009

Thank you for doing that. Yeah, it is just an error. They didn't do it on purpose, due to the fact that the angle button is activated for those sections. I guess it wouldn't hurt to send Paramount a note so that future editions can be corrected. They probably already know about it though.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:14 AM   #695
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY
Send a message via Skype™ to KaineKinetic
Exclamation

I need to see this!
http://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/Turkish-Star-Trek-DVD/63735/
My 3DS nickname: Kaine
My 3DS friend code: 2492-4192-0317
My XboX Live GamerTag is KaineKinetic
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 01-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #696
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Don't know how long this will be up, so enjoy it while it is.

Nichelle Nichols on her groundbreaking Star Trek role, a vital encounter with Martin Luther King, Jr., the first network interracial kiss and NASA recruitment.

http://www.makers.com/nichelle-nichols

Old 01-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #697
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Don't know how long this will be up, so enjoy it while it is.

Nichelle Nichols on her groundbreaking Star Trek role, a vital encounter with Martin Luther King, Jr., the first network interracial kiss and NASA recruitment.

http://www.makers.com/nichelle-nichols
Thanks for that!
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page
Old 01-19-2014, 05:05 AM   #698
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaineKinetic View Post
Thanks for that!
U. B. veddy welcome, pardner.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #699
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Yeah, Nichols has spoke about this over the years at every appearance I've seen her in. Very sweet, but also getting in the bit of the nutty department that comes along with age. She's suppose to be up here for Emerald City Comic-Con in a few months.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #700
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Suffolk County, NY

I'd like to meet them.... before....
:'(
My DeviantArt Page
My Selling Page