Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.63
7 hrs ago
Black Panther 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.99
10 hrs ago
Psycho Biddy Double Feature: Strait-Jacket / Berserk! (Blu-ray)
$8.39

Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08
11 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Jurassic World (Blu-ray)
$7.88

The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.85

Nightwing / Shadow of the Hawk (Blu-ray)
$8.79

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

I Am Legend 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
7 hrs ago
The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
Yeah, he is certainly dedicated to his craft. The first thing I remember him in was Bug, and I knew right away I'd enjoy whatever work he was involved with.
He's excellent in Take Shelter as well.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 09-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #82
Special Member

May 2010
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
I did a double take at the end while Shannon was in makeup. For a second I thought he was lip synced with Kuklinski's actual words. That was an excellent performance, and over all good movie.
Best part of the entire movie
LG Oled C7
Oppo Udp-203
Old 09-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #83
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

The Iceman is one of the best films made in the last 10 years. And one of the most authentic-looking 70s-set film I've EVER seen. A couple of brief shots looked too good to be authentic, though (Times Square and a bustling NYC cityscape) but if they were recreations, they're amazing. Great performances all around, well told story - just a great film.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #84
Special Member

May 2010
Netherlands

would have been cool if they had one of the bits from the interview in there aswell where he goes "we're having way too much fun here". Where the conversation gets very friendly and relaxed up until this point until he turns it all around.

"We're having too much fun, you know that? You realize that? I'm coming across like a nice guy. Nobody's gonna believe this. Nobody. I wouldn't believe this if I was watching this. Because I'm the furthest thing from a nice guy. I am, what you call, a person's nightmare."

That part still gives me chills when I see it.
LG Oled C7
Oppo Udp-203

Last edited by KarmaNL; 09-25-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #85
Special Member

Jul 2012
Watching Movies!!

Excellent movie!...definitely took the #1 spot on my list of "best blind buy"....
Old 09-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #86

Mar 2013

I thought it was a really good blind buy, too.

I'll also echo what others have said about Chris Evans. It was an atypical role for him, but he was good.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2010

Excellent movie IMO.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #88
Power Member

Nov 2010
Jackson, MS

Well...I know what I'm buying after work today
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #89

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORDER66 View Post
Excellent movie!...definitely took the #1 spot on my list of "best blind buy"....
Solomon Kane!
Old 01-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #90
Blu-ray Guru

May 2013
central Ohio

Just picked up The Iceman at Walmart for $9.96 w/slipcover. Definitely an A+ performance from Michael Shannon. This guy just keeps getting better and better. He elevates this movie from below average to to very good just from his presence.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:54 PM   #91
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr108 View Post
Just picked up The Iceman at Walmart for $9.96 w/slipcover. Definitely an A+ performance from Michael Shannon. This guy just keeps getting better and better. He elevates this movie from below average to to very good just from his presence.
$9.96? I might just go ahead and pick it up!

I have watched it twice on Netflix and there's something about the film that I just love. I can't explain it. It's just so... good!

I was holding off on a purchase, though, because it looked like it was extremely lacking in special features. For a movie like this, I was hoping to have a commentary at least
Old 01-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #92
Blu-ray Guru

May 2013
central Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
$9.96? I might just go ahead and pick it up!

I have watched it twice on Netflix and there's something about the film that I just love. I can't explain it. It's just so... good!

I was holding off on a purchase, though, because it looked like it was extremely lacking in special features. For a movie like this, I was hoping to have a commentary at least
Yup its in one of those current Walmart displays where all movies in it are $9.96. The special features are a 30 minute making of and another one that is 8 minutes, I believe.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #93
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

This Blu-ray has one of the worst transfers I've ever encountered. Contrast is extremely high.Turning down the contrast on the TV didn't work as it made it unwatchable. Just a heads up.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #94
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr108 View Post
Yup its in one of those current Walmart displays where all movies in it are $9.96. The special features are a 30 minute making of and another one that is 8 minutes, I believe.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into it.

Have you checked out those featurettes at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cine74 View Post
This Blu-ray has one of the worst transfers I've ever encountered. Contrast is extremely high.Turning down the contrast on the TV didn't work as it made it unwatchable. Just a heads up.
Are you sure that wasn't just the style of the movie? On Netflix it also has a very subdued color palette with lots of contrast. Have you been able to compare to the Netflix version?
Old 01-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #95
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Are you sure that wasn't just the style of the movie? On Netflix it also has a very subdued color palette with lots of contrast. Have you been able to compare to the Netflix version?

If it's a stylistic choice it's a very annoying one. What were the filmmakers going for, grittiness? I don't remember many 70's films looking milky like this. This just looks "off" IMO.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:06 AM   #96
Special Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
If it's a stylistic choice it's a very annoying one. What were the filmmakers going for, grittiness? I don't remember many 70's films looking milky like this. This just looks "off" IMO.
Honestly, I don't know for sure. If we are talking about the same transfer, it starts off with the interview with the highly-contrasting black and blue hue. I think that was supposed to represent the "Ice" in his alias of Iceman. The interview parts did have a decidedly more modern feel to them than the rest of the movie. I think they were trying to pay homage to the 70s, but rather they were attempting to make it look a little soft, like the memories we have of our past.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I think I just remembered all the scenes with his family were that warm, sepia-ish tone, whereas all the scenes where he was doing things that turned him into "The Iceman" are blue in hue.

I could be making stuff up, though. That's what I would do as the director if I were making a movie about this Kuklinski fellow, so my sentiments on what I would have done may be clashing with what the actual movie did. I should watch it again... I'mma watch it again!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #97
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
It's not horrible, but it certainly has some issues. I also noticed a fair amount of noise in the darker scenes.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 03-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #98
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2007
Toronto

There's some confusion over contrast and brightness here... I just got around to watching this film last night and let me say it's a fantastic movie that I took WAY too long to see.

However... it's not contrast that the transfer lacks, it's simply a matter of the brightness (black levels) being too high. When I took down my brightness setting 8 steps, it looked awesome. On your panels or projos, how much you scale down that brightness setting will be different and subjective but if you notice the opening credits and initial scene's blacks too grayish... just take down the brightness. Some films are like this and although I prefer my black levels to NOT being so dark I cannot see detail within them, this transfer was too light in those levels for my preference.

There are some scenes that take on a grittier look but that's the way the film was shot rather than push in a lot of DNR and everyone complaining about how soft and pasty the transfer was. Great movie.
Yeah, I Cosplay, Choo gots a problems wit dat?... it freakin' rocks!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #99
Banned

Feb 2008

Two different Blu-rays on this site. One says BD25 the other BD50.

I 'm guessing one of those stats is wrong...

Can anyone confirm which is correct?
Old 07-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #100
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2013
London, England

Watched this for the first time recently. Great performances all round, especially Shannon and Evans. Could've been a modern great had it have been given to a great director. For me, the shaky digital cinematography was a real bummer and took away from the 70's setting. Great story lacking equal execution. Same thing with Ariel Vromen's most recent film, Criminal but The Iceman is a Scorsese picture compared to that.

Quote:
The Iceman is one of the best films made in the last 10 years. And one of the most authentic-looking 70s-set film I've EVER seen. A couple of brief shots looked too good to be authentic, though (Times Square and a bustling NYC cityscape) but if they were recreations, they're amazing. Great performances all around, well told story - just a great film.
Just out of curiosity, have you seen Inherent Vice?
"...you ain't got a good script, you ain't got s#!t" - Reggie X

"Put your hands on the car and get ready to die!" - Fergus Beeley
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America