Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70
14 hrs ago
Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Star Trek: Stardate Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Masters of Sex: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$35.99
23 hrs ago
Fraggle Rock: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
How do you get bed bugs? Pets? Serious question...I always thought it was just a saying, don't let the bed bugs bite.
People pick them up traveling and bring them from place to place without knowing. New York had a serious outbreak of them a few years ago in their hotels and even movie theatres. Hotels in general tend to get them a lot. They are a living nightmare because they're tiny, they bite, and get absolutely everywhere. And they are very, very difficult to get rid of. They're attracted to body heat and the Co2 you breathe out with every breath - that's how they find you at night when you're sleeping, after everybody settles down for the night. They feed on one thing and one thing only - blood. They bite you while you sleep and suck out enough blood to keep them alive. Dozens or even hundreds a night can feed on you and you don't even feel it until you find the bite marks later. Also, they can live months and months without a feeding! And they're fast - they can travel 4 feet per minute! I know all this since I just went through this nightmare. Thankfully it was my neighbor and only a few strays seemed to get in my unit - it looks like the exterminators got them before they got hold of me.

Last edited by mar3o; 07-28-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #22

Jul 2014

I always thought it was just a saying, don't let the bed bugs bite.

Last edited by sodinishu; 07-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #23
Banned

Jan 2013

Lol, bed bugs. It's hard for me to sympathise as I have never had any bed bugs in my life. I don't think that we get such things here in the UK

I would have thought that you'd remove your blu rays from your flat if you are going to turn up the heat to kill these bugs though.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

Who ya gonna call?

Thanks given by:
BaerGriggs (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwoArms View Post
Who ya gonna call?

I hired them one time. Some bald nerdy guy, and a scruffy looking kid showed up at my door. Didn't look like any exterminators I've ever seen before
Thanks given by:
BaerGriggs (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Lol, bed bugs. It's hard for me to sympathise as I have never had any bed bugs in my life. I don't think that we get such things here in the UK

I would have thought that you'd remove your blu rays from your flat if you are going to turn up the heat to kill these bugs though.
I've never had a heart attack or cancer, but I can sympathize with people that have.

But yeah, common sense should dictate that you should remove your discs before heating the room to 120+ degrees.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #27

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Correct - it's not enough to just heat the room - the entire unit has to be heated properly and strategically - so that not only the room but the inside of the walls are heated also - because the bugs hide in the walls. Heating a room yourself will not solve the problem. Many people try this and it doesn't work. The bugs hide in the walls and if you don't bring up the temps inside the walls properly, they are fine hiding inside the walls while you cook the inside of your room.

You may think they're gone, but I bet they're in the walls hiding. That's why a pro needs to do it. They know how to slowly heat the room to temp and bring up the temp inside the walls also. They place multiple heaters at strategic points to heat the inside of the walls properly.
You beat me to it. These are some of the toughest things to get rid of. Even if just one female survives, they can reproduce all over again, so the infestation will probably not be taken care of with just heating up the rooms.

Just burn the house down. That should take care of it.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #28

Feb 2011

Quote:
But yeah, common sense should dictate that you should remove your discs before heating the room to 120+ degrees.
He may have done it with the discs in the room because they could potentially be hiding inside the cases. They can hide anywhere.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiFiFi1955 View Post
How do you get bed bugs? Pets? Serious question...I always thought it was just a saying, don't let the bed bugs bite.
I was freaking out on my first visit to NYC a few years ago, because almost every hotel had at least one user review mention of "bedbugs" (when browsing user reviews, this is an insanely common issue people complain about... even in luxury hotels). I was worried about bringing them back with me in my luggage.

Also there was a big news story about public libraries being infested with them.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
He may have done it with the discs in the room because they could potentially be hiding inside the cases. They can hide anywhere.
This is true. Ideally in that case you would want to isolate the discs and cases in a sealed plastic bin and leave them trapped away from their food source (blood). They would eventually, after a few months, die off. He would just need to leave the discs locked away in the bins for a few months to be safe. It's a better alternative to covering them all with poison residue or melting them with heat.

Another thing people need to remember about these - they lay tons of eggs - you can kill the bugs and they could have eggs left behind, starting the cycle all over again...
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Also there was a big news story about public libraries being infested with them.
Oh no, I hadn't even thought about libraries. Yeah, these things love to hide in books - anywhere tight. I can imagine them totally infesting a library, and then people taking books/blu-rays home with them from there.

Also - used furniture at second-hand markets.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #32
Banned

Jan 2013

Quote:
I've never had a heart attack or cancer, but I can sympathize with people that have.

Hmm, I think a heart attack and cancer is a world away from bed bugs :/
Old 07-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
Hmm, I think a heart attack and cancer is a world away from bed bugs :/
Bed bugs can be a living hell. Read about them online. They have literally ruined lives and people have lost homes and all their belongings due to them. It turned my life upside-down for several months while everything I owned was packed safe in containers, and it cost me several hundred dollars in preparation, plus lost hours at work, and I didn't even have to pay for the extermination, and yet it still cost me hundreds of dollars for bins, bags,etc. - plus weeks of cleaning and putting my place back together afterwards.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #34
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Bed bugs can be a living hell. Read about them online. They have literally ruined lives and people have lost homes and all their belongings due to them. It turned my life upside-down for several months while everything I owned was packed safe in containers, and it cost me several hundred dollars in preparation, plus lost hours at work, and I didn't even have to pay for the extermination, and yet it still cost me hundreds of dollars for bins, bags,etc. - plus weeks of cleaning and putting my place back together afterwards.
Yes but you're not dead or dying.
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god." - Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)

Last edited by madlost1; 07-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #35
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I think the general point was, even if you don't have the ailment or issue, you can still empathize with those that do
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #36

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
your not dead or dying.
You're*
Thanks given by:
mar3o (07-28-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012
NJ (USA)

I went through this about 3 years ago. A neighbor was moving away and offered me a comfy old chair, which I gladly accepted to replace one that was in bad shape. About a month later I started noticing welts on my arm in the morning, almost like mosquito bites but lots of them, except they didn't itch. Lo and behold, there was a bedbug infestation, which soon spread to the other rooms in my apartment. The culprit was the chair. It was crawling with them. I got rid of them by duct-taping anything with holes along the bottom of my floor and spraying everything with an expensive anti-bedbug aerosol. And, of course, throwing the chair away. Luckily my movie collection was unaffected
Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009
Hazle Township, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madlost1 View Post
Yes but your not dead or dying.
phones auto correct took over on that one.
Various: "Can you kill it?" "I believe something can." "A monster?" "No...a god." - Godzilla Asia Trailer (2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #39

Jul 2009
Deep South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falaskan View Post
No, this is not a movie, this is what happens when you heat up your room to 120 degrees to kill bedbugs and leave your movies to fend for themselves. In my defense I had heated up another room previously and the only thing affected was a couple of candles.

Thankfully the discs themselves seem to be fine. Also on another note, we are also renting for reeeeeeeeealy cheap!
really sorry to hear, I went thru the same problem just few months ago myself...
cannot emphasize how stressful the whole deal was (especially to my wife...)
(luckily my collection is in a different room and not affected.)
My Top ten: 1. Godfather Part II 2. Godfather Part I. 3. Citizen Kane. 4. 2001 A Space Odyssey. 5. Apocalypse Now. 6. Mulholland Drive. 7. 8 8. GoodFellas. 9. Annie Hall. 10. A Clockwork Orange
Old 07-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I think the general point was, even if you don't have the ailment or issue, you can still empathize with those that do
Bingo!

That's really all I meant. Simple as that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America