Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

The 'Burbs (Blu-ray)
$14.12
1 hr ago
What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (Blu-ray)
$25.19
8 hrs ago
My Man Godfrey (Blu-ray)
$30.37
5 hrs ago
The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93
10 hrs ago
Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Andrei Rublev (Blu-ray)
$37.97
4 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

A Raisin in the Sun (Blu-ray)
$27.37
5 hrs ago
Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
18 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #1

Nov 2013
Default Star Trek Compendium- Into Darkness Dialog Glitch

I was watching the new version of Star Trek Into Darkness tonight and at certain points the dialog fell out of sync. At some points I heard a little pop and then the dialog looked like I was watching a dubbed Japanese monster movie. The problem was at random places, not just when switching aspect ratios. I put in my original version of the film and had no problems. My player is a Marantz 7007

I'm going to exchange the set at Best Buy and see what happens.

I'm open to suggestions and hope this isn't a trend.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid43 View Post
I was watching the new version of Star Trek Into Darkness tonight and at certain points the dialog fell out of sync. At some points I heard a little pop and then the dialog looked like I was watching a dubbed Japanese monster movie. The problem was at random places, not just when switching aspect ratios. I put in my original version of the film and had no problems. My player is a Marantz 7007

I'm going to exchange the set at Best Buy and see what happens.

I'm open to suggestions and hope this isn't a trend.
it's a common issue. it's because of Dolby TrueHD and seamless branching (it's happening at the times the huge branching commentary switches on and off...)... it happens with certain receiver and player combos... switch the output of your player to PCM and it will fix the issue. no amount of returning will fix it
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
it's a common issue. it's because of Dolby TrueHD and seamless branching (it's happening at the times the huge branching commentary switches on and off...)... it happens with certain receiver and player combos... switch the output of your player to PCM and it will fix the issue. no amount of returning will fix it
Yep, have this issue with Monsters University. Switching to PCM does fix it though.
My Home Theater
Display: LG 65UH60 4K LED HDR10
Player: Sony UBP-X800 UHD/BD
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR709 Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA
Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT540 7.1 System
My Motion Picture Collection
Old 09-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #4

Nov 2013

Thanks folks for the advice. It worked. Hopefully there'll be a hardware fix for it eventually.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkid43 View Post
Thanks folks for the advice. It worked. Hopefully there'll be a hardware fix for it eventually.
Doubt it, the issue has been common place for several years now on discs that use both TrueHD and seamless branching.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
Special Member

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Doubt it, the issue has been common place for several years now on discs that use both TrueHD and seamless branching.
Perhaps not fixable in every player, but Oppo fixed the issue in their BDP-103/105 series. Fixes the problem on other titles than Monster University too (like Total Recall (2012)), but haven't tested Star Trek: Into Darkness yet.

Quote:
Resolved an audio dropout issue occurring with "Monsters University (BD, 2013)", related to its Dolby TrueHD 5.1 and 7.1 audio tracks when the player's HDMI Audio Format was set to Bitstream. We worked with Dolby and our decoder chip maker to address this type of audio dropouts.
3800 BDs and counting.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Hmmm. It'd be nice if Oppo looked into this for the 93/95 series. They recently said that because the decoding hardware is no longer supported by Mediatek it might be very difficult to issue updates from here on out. But after they said that they issued an update to deal with handshaking issues on Sony 4K TVs and also corrected the distance bug in the audio set-up, so perhaps there's hope.

I'd imagine it'd be a one-shot deal too, i.e. whatever it is about the branching that's corrupting the bitstreaming output should be constant across all the 'problem' discs, so hopefully that will spur them on to fix it (and the hinky subtitle timing on CBS releases too!).
Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2012
Oklahoma

Wait a minute, a Paramount title with a sound glitch? I don't believe it.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

If you're thinking about TNG and/or Twin Peaks, that's CBS, not Paramount. What we have here is a TrueHD/branching decoding issue with certain players, it's not the disc's fault.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:20 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007

Glad I found this thread.

I recently picked up the 4K releases of Star Trek (2009) and ST Into Darkness, which include the same regular Blu-Rays as the Compendium (I don't have a 4K set up yet, but I'm buying those combo packs for future proofing purposes, and I never did pick up the actual Compendium set).

I had the audio falling out of sync as well. The weird thing was that when it started to happen, if I backed the disc up slightly and replayed the last minute or two, the audio was synced back up.

I'll try switching to PCM. Hopefully that fixes it.
Say "no" to Samsung Blu-Ray players. Say "yes" to a whole lot more.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:40 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

I had the audio falling out of sync as well. The weird thing was that when it started to happen, if I backed the disc up slightly and replayed the last minute or two, the audio was synced back up.
This is what I always do. I have a few discs that do this (Total Recall being one of the worst) and rewinding a little typically does the trick. It's annoying but I can live with it for a handful of titles.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

My old LG player suffered from this which put me off watching ceretain films but my new Sony player managed to get through Into Darkness and Monsters University recently with no problems so glad to see certain manufacturers have sorted it.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:00 AM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainreck View Post
This is what I always do. I have a few discs that do this (Total Recall being one of the worst) and rewinding a little typically does the trick. It's annoying but I can live with it for a handful of titles.
Yep I think Ive done this a couple of times and it works.
Would you like some coffee, Mr. Tully?
Do I?
Yes, have some.
Yes, have some!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America