Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 10-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1101

Sep 2012
Italy
-
Italy

Yesterday the italian version hit the shelves. It's from Sony, but I don't know which master they used. Price is quite low. If Amazon is correct, it has DD audio, which of course makes things pretty grim.

I'll wait a review before to buy.

http://www.amazon.it/Quarto-Potere-O...=quarto+potere
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #1102
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2013

$24.99 at BBY, see it going any lower?
TV: Panasonic TC-P42S60
PSN ID: beatlemania63
Minnesota Vikings Fan
UV Codes For Sale!!
"If that’s true, if you don’t know who I am, then maybe your best course… would be to tread lightly."
Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #1103

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw89 View Post
$24.99 at BBY, see it going any lower?
I'm gonna hold out to see how low Amazon will go on this one during Black Friday week there.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #1104
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I found the Citizen Kane digibook in perfect condition at a used store today for $20, so I jumped on it. I could probably score it cheaper online somewhere, but the condition of the package was good and the price was good right in front of me.

I have not seen this movie in ages, so I'm looking forward to viewing it in high definition.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #1105
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

ordered it up for my nephew on the weekend. I think it is the digibook version (Won't tell you how much I paid). I think it is a great movie and he has some unusual tastes when it comes to movies, much like his uncle!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #1106
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

I watched the Citizen Kane Blu-ray earlier this evening with undivided attention, and then watched the Roger Ebert commentary track and the first part of the Peter Bogdanovich commentary track. I'm now watching the documentary, The Battle Over Citizen Kane, on the DVD disc.

The movie looks astounding on Blu-ray. I saw this movie a few times on television and on VHS, but tonight's viewing was the first time that I had revisited it in ages, and it was a pleasure to see it in a high definition presentation with proper aspect ratio and such. The brilliant use of shadows and framing stands out so much more in this format.

Citizen Kane, for me, is like an amusement park of various visual styles, and there's something to marvel at during each and every still frame. The focus shot of the childhood Kane playing in the snow that recedes through the window into the house with the parents is a scene for the ages. In terms of the story, I appreciate the idea of a famous person about whom everybody recognizes, but whom nobody actually knows. It's interesting how constant tabloid coverage of a person can somehow make their actual character more of a mystery than ever. The exposition newsreel footage was a stroke of genius, and it guides us through the nonlinear storytelling to follow.

I also love watching some of my favorite film noir actors (Paul Stewart, Alan Ladd, Joseph Cotton, and, of course, Orson Welles himself) in action together in this movie.

I'm too sleepy to write an extensive user review for this one, but Citizen Kane, while not my personal all-time favorite film, is a fun and beautifully-paced work of cinema that deserves all of its mass acclaim. On Blu-ray, the effect is wondrous.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 12-03-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 AM   #1107
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2012
WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
I watched the Citizen Kane Blu-ray earlier this evening with undivided attention, and then watched the Roger Ebert commentary track and the first part of the Peter Bogdanovich commentary track. I'm now watching the documentary, The Battle Over Citizen Kane, on the DVD disc.

The movie looks astounding on Blu-ray. I saw this movie a few times on television and on VHS, but tonight's viewing was the first time that I had revisited it in ages, and it was a pleasure to see it in a high definition presentation with proper aspect ratio and such. The brilliant use of shadows and framing stands out so much more in this format.

Citizen Kane, for me, is like an amusement park of various visual styles, and there's something to marvel at during each and every still frame. The focus shot of the childhood Kane playing in the snow that recedes through the window into the house with the parents is a scene for the ages. In terms of the story, I appreciate the idea of a famous person about whom everybody recognizes, but whom nobody actually knows. It's interesting how constant tabloid coverage of a person can somehow make their actual character more of a mystery than ever. The exposition newsreel footage was a stroke of genius, and it guides us through the nonlinear storytelling to follow.

I also love watching some of my favorite film noir actors (Paul Stewart, Alan Ladd, Joseph Cotton, and, of course, Orson Welles himself) in action together in this movie.

I'm too sleepy to write an extensive user review for this one, but Citizen Kane, while not my personal all-time favorite film, is a fun and beautifully-paced work of cinema that deserves all of its mass acclaim. On Blu-ray, the effect is wondrous.
The Blu-Ray is one of my favorite packages of all time! A brilliant film and certainly the most influential film of all time IMO. I especially love the non-linear nature of the film, it makes each viewing a new experience for me.
My Top 20 Films of all time!
1. Jurassic Park 2. Psycho (1960) 3. The Godfather Part II 4. There Will Be Blood 5. The Godfather 6. Zodiac 7. Thief 8. Blade Runner 9. Halloween (1978) 10. Drive 11. The Tree Of Life 12. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 13. Her 14. Bambi 15. Mean Streets 16. Casablanca 17. Pan's Labyrinth 18. On The Waterfront 19. Paris, Texas 20. The Usual Suspects
My Letterboxd
Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #1108

Mar 2010

Went to Costco tonight and got Citizen Kane Digibook for $13.99. Going for over $25 on Amazon
Old 02-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #1109
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

I watched this yesterday for the first time,UK disc which is pretty poor but I really enjoyed the movie and I kinda regret not 'blind buying' it when it was $14.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #1110

May 2013
Toronto
Thumbs up

Got the digi-book tonight for just over $20.

Love this film although I haven't seen it in years. Looking forward to revisiting it on blu-ray!
Old 02-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #1111
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakulinchuk View Post
Yesterday the italian version hit the shelves. It's from Sony, but I don't know which master they used. Price is quite low. If Amazon is correct, it has DD audio, which of course makes things pretty grim.

I'll wait a review before to buy.

http://www.amazon.it/Quarto-Potere-O...=quarto+potere
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...D=1556#auswahl

If your English is fluent, get the US release. The Italian transfer looks pretty bad by comparison.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:56 AM   #1112
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2011
Northern Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...D=1556#auswahl

If your English is fluent, get the US release. The Italian transfer looks pretty bad by comparison.
Yeah the Italian release is the same as the UK one,it's mentioned here.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=237320
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:33 PM   #1113

Nov 2010
Southern California, USA

I bought the non-digibook Australian release. Same specs as U.S.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #1114
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Tampa, FL

Used to own the Digibook ended up trading it up for the Collector's Edition because I like the movie so much.
Top 10 Favorite Films: 1) The Truman Show, 2) 12 Angry Men, 3) Jackie Brown, 4) 25th Hour, 5) Princess Mononoke, 6) The Godfather,
7) Pulp Fiction, 8) Back to the Future, 9) Blade Runner, 10) The Lord of the Rings

"If my answers frighten you Vincent, then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield

Old 04-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #1115

Dec 2013
Default Citizen Kane Blu-ray Standard Packaging?

I was just curious as to if there are any plans for a Blu-ray release of Citizen Kane in a standard Blu-ray case? The digi-book and the huge box wouldn't look good with the other movies I own on Blu-ray. Thanks.
Top 5 Favorite Films:
5. Groundhog Day
4. The Truman Show
3. The Breakfast Club
2. Pulp Fiction
1. Back to the Future
Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #1116
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
NYC

I gave up and bought the UK version.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #1117
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
I gave up and bought the UK version.
That version is very inferior to the Warner release.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #1118

Oct 2012

This is the version I own

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUbIY...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #1119
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
That version is very inferior to the Warner release.
Different specs or less features? Aw crap, didn't even check.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #1120
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony208 View Post
Different specs? Aw crap, didn't even check.
It's from a different source from the one Warner used from what I've read, and it wasn't in great condition, or restored with the same care. It does have some unique special features though, like a different commentary track, and some other featurettes.

One user gave it a 1.5 for video:

Quote:
It goes without saying that the film is a classic - but we in the UK have been seriously short changed by Universal with this Blu-ray. It is not the same as the well-reviewed Warner release in the USA.
The special features claim that the film has been restored by the BFI, but it's hard to believe that they put very much time or effort into it, judging by these feeble results.
It's hard to say which aspect of the video presentation is worst. There is still a fair amount of print damage. The contrast is all over the place, with very few real blacks throughout the whole movie. The contrast also fluctuates constantly. Frequently the contrast varies across single frames, with the middle dark and the edges faded and grey. The whites and highlights are often washed out. Other than in a few scenes, there is very little detail to the image. For much of the time it is hard to believe you’re not watching a standard definition DVD – and a bad one at that!
The audio is not much better. The best you can say is that the dialogue is intelligible - but it is also often harsh, as is the music.
Really Universal - is this the way to treat one of the most important movies of all time (and your UK audience)?
And another gave it 0.5:
Quote:
Failure of epic proportions

I received this release used due to an ordering mix-up, and I can certainly see why the previous owner got rid of it! Looks like the old DVD master was used. This master was one of the worst ever created for a DVD and was a subject of complaint for many years. Now it has returned to haunt us. My advice to all readers is to purchase one of Warner's outstanding US releases of this film. They are region free and even if the cost is a bit higher, you'll be FAR more satisfied with the product.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America