COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Coraline (Blu-ray)
$19.70
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Z (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
War Horse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Help (Blu-ray)
$11.19
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 AM   #1

Mar 2009
Default 3d tv questions

ok im wondering, r there two different versions on 3D ? i was possibly told, that one tv -the movie will stick out a bit , verses the other tv that will come out at you into the room. is that right? so can i get a tv that will show both versions? does this make any sense? like maybe basic glasses, verses the active shutter glasses? i was checking it out at best buy and the guy talked a little about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #2

Sep 2011
Pittsburgh

I can't reall say whether or not there are two types of 3D. With what little research I have done the active glasses (battery operated) provide a richer 3D experience overall than passive glasses. I believe the active glasses typically come with the plasma TV while passive glasses come with LCD/LED tvs. I read somewhere that down the line that TVs would be geared more toward the passive glasses, but I don't know how true that is.

As far as the 3D effect I think it also depends on the refresh rate and approach of the 3D. I recently watched The Lorax in 3D and felt that came out of the screen more than The Lion King in 3D which was more about depth within the picture.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2012
Kansas

There are just two main technologies used in 3D sets. The only difference is passive vs. active television, no matter what kind of TV you choose the 3D is the same.
Epson 5010 on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580
Sony PS3 and PS4
DirecTV HR24
Yamaha RX-V567
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Some cheap Yamaha's
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW315
Old 11-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
There are just two main technologies used in 3D sets. The only difference is passive vs. active television, no matter what kind of TV you choose the 3D is the same.
I think passive is waaay better personally.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandabear1 View Post
ok im wondering, r there two different versions on 3D ? i was possibly told, that one tv -the movie will stick out a bit , verses the other tv that will come out at you into the room. is that right? so can i get a tv that will show both versions? does this make any sense? like maybe basic glasses, verses the active shutter glasses? i was checking it out at best buy and the guy talked a little about it.
no it doesnt really make sense. sounds like you are talking about depth vs. pop. these two aspects of 3d have more to do with individual movies and not tvs. some movies have lots of pop (um...like drive angry) while some movies (most modern 3d movies) focus on depth. some movies, like madagascar 3, use both pop and depth to great affect.

Madagascar 3 is going to look awesome on any and every type of 3d tv.

anyway, if you want to save money and add convienence buy passive (i did). if you want better quality (in both 3d and 2d) buy active.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:41 AM   #6

Jan 2013
Default theres more than 2 types of 3d

Active, which is best? If u like batteries on ur face. Passive aka movie theater glasses. which is what you see at the theaters hence the name. Vizio refers to their 3d Blu ray as theater 3d for that reason and their glasses are marketed to be able to be used at the theater. the third type is called anaglyph 3d, which does not require a special TV. In fact you can find such movies in the 7 dollar blu ray bin at walmart as Friday the 13th 3d that will play on any blu ray player.

Last edited by backwordsman81; 02-09-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i007spectre View Post
there are just two main technologies used in 3d sets. The only difference is passive vs. Active television, no matter what kind of tv you choose the 3d is the same.
+1
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays