COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Home for Christmas: André Rieu Live In Concert (Blu-ray)
$10.00
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas / Twice Upon a Christmas (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Transformers: Dark of the Moon (Blu-ray)
$20.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion

Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #1

Aug 2011
Elbridge NY
Default i am buying my first 3d tv. important question inside

I have a 5 year old and i want to buy a 3dtv. I was told that active 3d is not safe for childrens eyes but passice was ok since the tv does the work rather then the. Active glasses.

I left the store because i was a little worried so i decided to not buy anything until i ask more experienced users. I dont want to hurt my daughters eyes. So what should i do.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZN4LC4PON3 View Post
I have a 5 year old and i want to buy a 3dtv. I was told that active 3d is not safe for childrens eyes but passice was ok since the tv does the work rather then the. Active glasses.

I left the store because i was a little worried so i decided to not buy anything until i ask more experienced users. I dont want to hurt my daughters eyes. So what should i do.
I'm 45 years old and the active, while awesome, does cause me some eye strain after 1 movie. I dont know if it is like this for everyone but....it is a factor for me. Now strangely, I dont get the eye strain nearly as much with my epson (3d projector) 3d glasses so I wonder if different brands have stronger 3d intensity than others??

Personally...I would not take a chance with active if I had a 5 year old. Her eyes are still developing and they may be too much for her. When I got my 3D Sony 3 years ago, my daughter (11 then) could not handle the eye strain. She said it was too much for her and to this day..she will rarely (if ever) watch a 3d movie with me.

I would go with what your gut is telling you: go with passive. They are just as good,imo, and the 3D is very easy on the eyes. Especially when considering young ones.
Hope this helps. Let us know what you went with and let us know how your daughter takes to it.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #3

Nov 2012
USA -> maryland
Send a message via Skype™ to RandomNinjaAtk

Also passive glasses are much cheaper/lighter and don't require batteries (Edit: Or charging)! So you don't have to worry about her damaging them either. I have passive and it's great. No kids though... so I can't comment on it in that regard.
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more

Last edited by RandomNinjaAtk; 02-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

I've never had a problem with Active glasses and THEY DON'T REQUIRE BATTERIES. You do have to charge them via USB but it takes a half hour at the most and the charge lasts a long time. Unless you are constantly watching 3d movies this will not be an issue.
Does it kill you to use a question mark when asking a question? -- O V N
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Nov 2012
USA -> maryland

Modified my post, passive doesn't require batteries or charging! Lolz

My parents Sammy requires batteries. But passive glasses are still lighter and cheaper, which is great because their is no need to worry about your 5 year old breaking them....
"Live to Win!"
Old 02-13-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
I've never had a problem with Active glasses and THEY DON'T REQUIRE BATTERIES. You do have to charge them via USB but it takes a half hour at the most and the charge lasts a long time. Unless you are constantly watching 3d movies this will not be an issue.
Are you 5? If not, then you are not answering the OP's question.

OP: My niece and nephew, 4 & 7, have never had a problem viewing 3D on my passive LG. They actually look forward to coming over just to see what new 3D movie I have for them! Haha, they are young, so I wouldn't put them through the extra eye strain with active. (Yes, I'm sure some of the other people don't get it, but they are not children!)
Old 02-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post

OP: My niece and nephew, 4 & 7, have never had a problem viewing 3D on my passive LG. They actually look forward to coming over just to see what new 3D movie I have for them! Haha, they are young, so I wouldn't put them through the extra eye strain with active. (Yes, I'm sure some of the other people don't get it, but they are not children!)
I did answer his question. WTF are you talking about? I'll answer for you nothing.

And it was more directed at the poster that said passive glasses don't require batteries. Why don't you pay attention and stop trying to be a smartass. Am I 5? Are you are smartass? Most definitely yes.
Does it kill you to use a question mark when asking a question? -- O V N

Last edited by bootsy; 02-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post

To be fair neither did the member he was responding to
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

Nov 2012
USA -> maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
To be fair neither did the member he was responding to
I wasn't answering about eye strain, but I was providing additional information in regards to the technology and reasons for choosing passive technology because of having a child. I personally feel that having a child use glasses that can be purchased for under $10.00 a pair is a better decision then having them use more expensive glasses that could be more easily broken and costly. Plus the other benefits, lighter glasses would be more comfortable for a child to wear, rather than bulky glasses that are heavier and require batteries or charging....

Just a personal opinion....
"Live to Win!"

Last edited by RandomNinjaAtk; 02-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #10

Aug 2007
Utah

My active glasses are lighter than theater passive and cost $19.
3DTV■Samsung (PN51F8500AF)
Player■Sony (BDP-S590)
AVR■Yamaha (RX-V475)
Speakers■Pioneer BS22□C22
Sub■Polk Audio (PSW505)
Game■PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNinjaAtk View Post
I wasn't answering about eye strain, but I was providing additional information in regards to the technology and reasons for choosing passive technology because of having a child. I personally feel that having a child use glasses that can be purchased for under $10.00 a pair is a better decision then having them use more expensive glasses that could be more easily broken and costly. Plus the other benefits, lighter glasses would be more comfortable for a child to wear, rather than bulky glasses that are heavier and require batteries or charging....

Just a personal opinion....
Fair enough, but putting your personal opinion about the size and weight out there, is not really addressing the question at hand. The OP was asking about the relative safety of the technologies, specifically about whether it could be harmful for the eyes of a child. Your response didn't address that aspect, it came across as promoting your own agenda, just for the sake of knocking active technology.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

from an eye safety perspective there should not be any difference between active and passive.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:12 AM   #13
Power Member

Sep 2008
The £ßÇ
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
from an eye safety perspective there should not be any difference between active and passive.
Agreed. I have several grandkids near that age that the wife & I babysit often. We've watched many 3D Blus with them on my active-glasses Sharp TV and they've never complained about anything 3D related. They only complain when movie time is over and/or it's time to go home.
I find it ironic that there are actually parents that are worried more about the possible bad side-effects of young children watching 3D movies than they are about the harmful UV rays from the sun. Children need sunglasses, too.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #14

Aug 2011

I am a pediatrician and whilst I have never had a patient ask me this question, I believe I would answer that it really doesn't matter. I don't believe the rapid flickering of active glasses could possibly have any impact and I'm not aware of any research that's been done likely cause it's too new to see the kind of prospective longitudinal data you'd need. Get the TV you like more.... there are far more things that are going to mess with her eyes than a few hours of 3D movies.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #15

Aug 2011
Elbridge NY

I ended up buying the vizio 42 inch at walmart for 498.00 which is passive and came with 2 pair of 3d glasses. This tv is amazing and very clear. The 3d is fantastic. I watched the avenngers with her in 3d i did start to feel odd after about 30 mins sick kind of but thats prolly cause im not used to it yet.

We took a small break and continued. So far i love this tv and imo 3d is impressive. I have not seen any ghosting or lag.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #16

Oct 2010

Quote:
There are so many "legends" about 3d harmfulness... Most of them related to kids.
Anyway, I think that what is disturbing while looking at 3d movies with active glasses is the surrounding: glasses shut and open continuously to ghet in synch with video... but if in you field of view, around the TV, there's "something" (the wall, the curtain,...) , you will unconsciounsly see it "blinking", and probably this gets even worse in case of fluorescent lights, which as far as I know are "blinking" themselves.
So maybe the only right way to look at an active 3d movies is in a totally dark room.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #17

Aug 2010
The D - 313

I've had my 3D HDTV for over a year now... Samsung PN51E500 Plasma, active 3D.

Since then, I have only suffered eye fatigue from watching 3D on PASSIVE sets. 3D in the theaters is a virtual no-go for me. Recently saw the new GI Joe flick in 3D, and was having to take the glasses off every 10 minutes or so for a 1-2 minute break.

Yet, last night, watching Jurassic Park in 3D on my home TV, with the active glasses, not once did I have to remove for any eye fatigue. My girlfriend, who wears contacts, has said the same exact thing. No fatigue when wearing the active glasses.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
I don't see any point in taking chances. Why bother with it?

Give it time. The new sets are nice in 2D or 3D. It's probably not a problem for adults (although most people think it's a strain after long viewing periods), but there's no reason to subject children to it - especially since they couldn't tell if anything was wrong, or report it to someone.

For adults that like the "effect", fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

My five year old has never had a problem with active. He's nearly seven now. You will find with kids (if they're anything like mine), they want to do other things when they watch a movie, and nine out of ten times they'll request to watch the 2D version. So any issue with children and active glasses (damaging the child or the glasses), disappears pretty quickly after you view the set.

I would recommend finding the right TV for you. Watch some active and some passive, especially the genre or content you will most view in 3D, and make the decision from there. Oh, and make sure it has a good 2D picture too...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion