New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Now: Trolls (Party Edition) $11.08 (15% claimed)
Soon: War for the Planet of the Apes ()
Soon: The Boss Baby (Special Edition) ()
Soon: Logan ()
Soon: Captain Underpants: The First … ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sing (Blu-ray)
C$9.96
American Horror Story: Roanoke (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Trolls (Blu-ray)
C$9.96
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
C$13.94
007: The Daniel Craig Collection (Blu-ray)
C$12.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
American Horror Story: Hotel (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Alien: Covenant (Blu-ray)
C$13.94
Logan (Blu-ray)
C$13.94
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 09-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada
Default Amazon UK import charges

I got hit with COD import charges on my last two orders from them. I used to get the packages through Canada Post no problem, but these two came from UPS and I had to pay $14 for one blu ray and $18 for a package with 2 blu rays.

What's going on? Anyone else dealing with this? I ordered from them often for some U.K. exclusive blu rays and for Arrow blu rays that are much cheaper to import than buying the North American releases but this kinda kills that now if this will be a regular thing.

Gonna contact them about this and see what's up.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Its UPS. They are a rip off when it comes to import charges. I would recommend setting up a Canada Post FlexDelivery address (its free) and choose that as your shipping address. It will force Amazon UK to use a shipping carrier other than UPS.
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Thanks given by:
Brandon K (10-22-2017), cuppycakesaurus (10-03-2017), gentileschi (10-24-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:40 PM   #3

Jun 2015
Great White North

Well, you've certainly sparked my attention!
I have a LOT of Blus in the pipe currently from both Amz.uk and ZAVVI ( all the Harryhausen box sets just to name a few).
I'll follow the post-box suggestion immediately if they start to arrive with additional charges. This is upsetting news indeed.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post
I got hit with COD import charges on my last two orders from them. I used to get the packages through Canada Post no problem, but these two came from UPS and I had to pay $14 for one blu ray and $18 for a package with 2 blu rays.

What's going on? Anyone else dealing with this? I ordered from them often for some U.K. exclusive blu rays and for Arrow blu rays that are much cheaper to import than buying the North American releases but this kinda kills that now if this will be a regular thing.

Gonna contact them about this and see what's up.
I think Canada has a $20 CDN limit on importing CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. Items over the limit can get hit with 7% duty, a handling fee and sales tax.

Usually if Amazon use couriers and the items are over the limit you're almost guaranteed to get hit with fees.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 09-28-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

This is usually why I wait until I have a larger order to place all at once, and then choose one of the AmazonGlobal shipping methods (usually the cheapest, which is still faster than standard shipping usually). With those you pay import fees up front, and I've always found them to be very reasonable... for some reason usually less than the 13% HST in my province. A recent order for about 185 Euro charged me around 11 Euro import fees. When the parcel is delivered, there's no COD, no brokerage, etc.
LG OLED65E6P, Oppo UDP-203 & Denon AVR-X7200WA.
Polk RTiA9 (x2) Front L/R, CSiA6 Center, RTiA5 (x2) Surround L/R, DSW PRO 660 wi Subwoofer
Thanks given by:
Brandon K (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 02:05 AM   #6
Expert Member

Dec 2015
Canada

This happened to me recently too. They always used to ship Royal Mail, which would come Canada Post, and never an import charge did I see. Now they started shipping UPS and I get hit with import charges every time. If it was just an import charge I wouldn't care. The import charge is like a few bucks for a Blu-ray. But then there's something like a $10 processing fee, which is ridiculous. And when you choose the "group my shipments," even on in-stock, sometimes they don't! I have to start watching this more carefully because it's really killing my frequent UK imports. On my most recent two that I put in yesterday, I noticed Anazon taking an import fee deposit (I should really go back and look at my previous orders). So if they do come via UPS, UPS better not charge me... I've let a few orders slide up until now because my time was worth more than the fee, but if it continues, I'm going to have to try to do something about it. I'm not sure if there's any way to tell Amazon not to ship UPS - it's gotta be costing them more too, right?

Hmm, good suggestions in the posts above zeze and TM2-Megatron, I'll have to look into those.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #7

Jan 2016
Toronto, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon K View Post
This happened to me recently too. They always used to ship Royal Mail, which would come Canada Post, and never an import charge did I see. Now they started shipping UPS and I get hit with import charges every time. If it was just an import charge I wouldn't care. The import charge is like a few bucks for a Blu-ray. But then there's something like a $10 processing fee, which is ridiculous. And when you choose the "group my shipments," even on in-stock, sometimes they don't! I have to start watching this more carefully because it's really killing my frequent UK imports. On my most recent two that I put in yesterday, I noticed Anazon taking an import fee deposit (I should really go back and look at my previous orders). So if they do come via UPS, UPS better not charge me... I've let a few orders slide up until now because my time was worth more than the fee, but if it continues, I'm going to have to try to do something about it. I'm not sure if there's any way to tell Amazon not to ship UPS - it's gotta be costing them more too, right?

Hmm, good suggestions in the posts above zeze and TM2-Megatron, I'll have to look into those.
I had this happen to me about a month ago. I just went ahead and paid whatever was billed and contacted Amazon after delivery for a refund. They understood the situation, but did not say why the change to UPS was made. Like you, I've never had any items ship UPS from the UK, so this was quite the shock to me as well. I did instruct Amazon not to ship via UPS for all outstanding pre-orders and any future orders I make.

I do have the George A. Romero:Between Night and Dawn box shipping in a day or two, so I'll update my post to let you know what carrier was used. Until then...

EDIT I received my shipping notice today (October 23) and yes, it's being sent via UPS. So much for the "will not happen again" promise that was made. Oh well. Nothing I can do about it now. I didn't receive an "import fee" e-mail, but that doesn't mean that I won't either. I will post more information when warranted.
They're dressed! They're just dressed scantily!

Last edited by GoodAsBlu; 10-23-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Amazon UK now charges an import fee deposit when you place your order so you won't have to worry about import fees when the order gets delivered anymore (which means no more insane import fees from UPS anymore).
1. Forrest Gump
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
Old 10-24-2017, 12:06 AM   #9

Sep 2011
British Columbia, Canada

The import deposit fee seems to be quite new. I'm ordering blus and cds consistently from amazon uk since 5 or 6 years and I have never been hit with duty, tax or additional fees, no matter how high or how low the total - was it just plain luck that Canadian Customs had left me alone, no matter what the amounts were?

Is there a way around the this ominous 'import deposit fee'? Their website says that they would refund the difference if the actual costs would be less than the deposited amount - so they would refund it in total after 60 days if there were no charges? How can this be proven? This sounds very illogical.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:45 AM   #10
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Import fee deposit has been around for quite a while now, in my experience. For ordering from Amazon.com for delivery to Canada, they've collected the deposits for years. I can't say how long the European Amazon sites have been doing it as I haven't been ordering from those as long (first time was last year), but it's always been an option depending on the shipping method you choose. Since I now just rent a US mailbox down in Buffalo, I just have things shipped down there instead. But for European Amazon purchases, I obviously still need to use an international shipping method.

What's important to remember is that they only collect the deposit if you choose an AmazonGlobal shipping option. If you select standard shipping, there'll be no deposit but you'll likely end up getting stuck paying UPS, FedEx or whoever some kind of brokerage fee in addition to customs and it'll all be a heck of a lot more than Amazon's deposit would've been.

Personally, I've found the deposit to be pretty reasonable... as I said above, so far it's always worked out to be less than my province's 13% HST, and so I've never felt the system is trying to rip me off. Another thing I like about the AmazonGlobal shipping is that the tracking seems to work very well. UPS i-Parcel handles the package until it reaches Canada and they handle the importing, and then they hand it off to Canada Post and give you a new, local tracking number.
Polk RTiA9 (x2) Front L/R, CSiA6 Center, RTiA5 (x2) Surround L/R, DSW PRO 660 wi Subwoofer
Old 10-24-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post
Import fee deposit has been around for quite a while now, in my experience. For ordering from Amazon.com for delivery to Canada, they've collected the deposits for years. I can't say how long the European Amazon sites have been doing it as I haven't been ordering from those as long (first time was last year), but it's always been an option depending on the shipping method you choose. Since I now just rent a US mailbox down in Buffalo, I just have things shipped down there instead. But for European Amazon purchases, I obviously still need to use an international shipping method.

What's important to remember is that they only collect the deposit if you choose an AmazonGlobal shipping option. If you select standard shipping, there'll be no deposit but you'll likely end up getting stuck paying UPS, FedEx or whoever some kind of brokerage fee in addition to customs and it'll all be a heck of a lot more than Amazon's deposit would've been.

Personally, I've found the deposit to be pretty reasonable... as I said above, so far it's always worked out to be less than my province's 13% HST, and so I've never felt the system is trying to rip me off. Another thing I like about the AmazonGlobal shipping is that the tracking seems to work very well. UPS i-Parcel handles the package until it reaches Canada and they handle the importing, and then they hand it off to Canada Post and give you a new, local tracking number.
For standard shipping from Amazon UK they started collecting import fee deposit earlier this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleu View Post
The import deposit fee seems to be quite new. I'm ordering blus and cds consistently from amazon uk since 5 or 6 years and I have never been hit with duty, tax or additional fees, no matter how high or how low the total - was it just plain luck that Canadian Customs had left me alone, no matter what the amounts were?
From past experiences anything under $100 you will probably avoid custom fees, but lately Amazon UK has been using UPS more often which means guaranteed custom fees if your package is valued over $20 CAD (plus UPS fees are higher than Canada Post fees).
1. Forrest Gump
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #12

Sep 2011
British Columbia, Canada

@TM2-Megatron:

Just checked, there now is an import fees deposit on both Standard Delivery as well as on AmazonGlobal Standard 9-12 days (and all the other shipping options). In the past I only used Standard Delivery with no further duties or taxes paid up front or on delivery and import fees deposit not even showing up anywhere. I just paid the net price without VAT plus postage & packing - that was it!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #13

Sep 2011
British Columbia, Canada

I wonder which option is better from now on - Standard Delivery or AmazonGlobal Standard, which seems to be slightly cheaper in postage & packing and the import fees deposit.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 PM   #14

Jan 2016
Toronto, Canada

Received my Romero set today via UPS. No further charges or custom fees were required. I was charged with import fees upon shipping (combined within the total cost of the item, plus shipping), so I was unsure if I had to pay upon receipt, or if it was already paid prior to shipping.

So, whatever the "problem" was causing this unexpected issue, it looks to have been corrected by Amazon UK.
They're dressed! They're just dressed scantily!
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Personally, I find paying the import fees ahead of time to Amazon to be a better option than not knowing what you're going to be getting when UPS knocks on your door. Especially in that you can judge for yourself if you believe the import fees are reasonable or not. I stopped using UPS years ago, even for domestic packages, simply because I found their brokerage scam to be outrageous and I have no interest in giving a company like that any business.

As far as refunds for overpayment of import fees go, it can in fact happen. I received such a refund for a recent order from Amazon.de. It only amounted to about 1 Euro or so, however it does prove that a refund can happen.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:38 AM   #16
Contributor

Aug 2011

was going to order a bluray off amazon.co.uk today but because of the import fee amazon is forcing now figured id look and see if i could find a better deal.

found the movie on base.com for 0.50 cheaper then amazon's price. shipping was only 1.69 vs amazon 3. no import fee. and they also removed vat off the price like amazon does but zavvi dont.

looks like they use royal mail for shipping so should be no surprise ups upgrades.

also looks like they offer price protection up till when the item ships.

so this might be a good alternative to amazon for uk stuff.
Thanks given by:
Kaleu (11-06-2017), RCRochester (10-29-2017), reynaldo (10-30-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada