Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Horror Story: Roanoke (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
American Horror Story: Hotel (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 4K (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
Hidden Figures (Blu-ray)
C$9.99
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
C$20.99
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
C$19.99
Homeland: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
C$16.99
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
C$16.99
The Strain: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
C$20.99
Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
C$20.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 06-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #1

May 2010
Nova Scotia
Canada Best places to buy blu in Canada?

where do you guys shop? online and in person.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

i don't shop online, but as of lately, i've been swaying towards HMV in person

they have some AWESOME titles in their 2/$20 and 2/$25 deals, plus you can combine them:

the reg. price is $12.99 and $16.99 for the 2/$20 and 2/$25 respectively, if you buy 1 2/$20 and 1 2/$25 you will get the movies for $10 and $12.50.

It seems they add new titles EVERY DAY (possibly every Friday, I was in on thursday, then on friday and saw at least 4 new ones with the pink stickers).

some notable titles are:

Passchendaele (2 disc with slipcover)
Every Which Way But Loose
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
The Thing
Both Fantastic 4 movies
Beatles: Hard Days Night
The Simpsons Movie
Goodfellas
i Robot
Independence Day
All 4 Rambos
All 4 Die Hard Movies
All 3 Blades
Both Kill Bills
Old 06-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada 🍁

Amazon.ca is who I would say is the best but for convenience of what is closer and not having to always use a credit card I mostly do HMV even if they are often a little overpriced compared to the likes of Future Shop for newer releases (Agree with the last post that they do have some pretty good deals on some stuff though and have noticed as of late they seem to be watching other stores prices to match them). Much better than places like Music World that would massively overprice things and not hard to see why HMV keeps going while others keep closing. What I like most is that they are pretty good at getting stuff in unlike Wal-Mart or Zellers which are the only other two options close to me and they are useless. Also like the staff at the main HMV I go to a lot more than most stores.
🎮 XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax 🎮 PSN: Hayabusa85 🎮 Wii U: Hayabusa85 🎮

Last edited by Hayabusa85; 06-05-2010 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #4

Mar 2010
Canada
Canada

In person...I go to HMV mostly.
online...amazon.ca..
Old 06-07-2010, 04:26 AM   #5

Mar 2010
Where you live

I've bought most of my Blu-Rays from HMV, Future Shop and Best Buy. Each of them have some pretty good sales going on constantly, so you're bound to find something interesting at a great price every once in a while.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Vancouver, British Columbia

HMV is the place I get them the most. I find they have the best prices/deals. I do however buy some from Wal-Mart if the price is good.
GO LEAFS GO
GO INDIANS GO
GO VIKINGS GO
Old 06-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

FS, BB and HMV are the main ones

most of the Wal-Marts i go to have a terrible selection

here is a breakdown of where i've shopped:

Future Shop: 24
Best Buy: 10
HMV: 7
Wal-Mart: 6
Zellers: 2
Pre-viewed: 3

Wal-Mart has a terrible selection IMO and Zellers has nothing...

The only 2 i got at Zellers were Toy Story 1 & 2. With a price match and coupon I was able to get them BOTH a week after them came out for $25 (for the two, so $12.50 each)!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

FutureShop / Best Buy: This is probably the best to buy movies On Release Day. Otherwise, they will charge you the MSRP for most titles. Every week they have some deals, but most times their meh.

Amazon.ca: I found it's the best Canadian places to order Criterion films, and every so often they will have deals. I just got Smallville Season 6 and 8 for $38.99 each.

Wal-Mart: The best time to buy from them is when they have their Boxing Day sales (December / July) or any kind of big promotion. Right now they have a decent Father's Day sales for some blu-rays ranging from $7.50 - $15.00

HMV: They've been getting a lot better recently, and usually have some good titles in the 2/$20 and 2/$25. Every so often they also have "hidden deals" as I call them, like the Austin Powers collection for $30

Blockbuster / Rogers: Good deals if you don't mind Used movies (and with Blu-Ray, you really don't have to worry about scratched discs for the most part). Once in a blue moon they will have a good deal on a new movie.
Samsung 55" LCD, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Oppo BDP-83, Toshiba HD-AX2, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer RFD-1, Onkyo TX-NR808, HTPC
Old 06-07-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009

here are linx to a few places:
http://www.dvdsnextgengaming.com/
http://www.axelmusic.com/bluray
http://www.beatgoeson.com/result.php...=i&SKD=blu-ray
http://www.inetvideo.ca/?utm_source=...n=canadaheader
http://www.metrovideo.ca/
http://www.sigelectronics.com/Electr...Blu-Ray-Movies

Last edited by rabbit; 06-07-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

HMV has fantastic customer service as well!

I contacted them to ask about "Trade and Upgrade" titles (trade in any DVD and get $5 off a blu-ray)

they sent me a 22 page list of participating titles (you name a movie, it was on there)

i wanted to get Men In Black, it was on the list, went to the store, they said it wasn't "specially marked" and that i couldn't trade in towards it

contacted Customer Support again

They actually sent someone out to the store, talked to the manager and assistant manager and will allow me to trade in a DVD towards the movie, despite the fact that the promo ended May 29th.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Toronto, Canada

FS and HMV.

FS has usually overall lower prices, but at the same time you can get really good deals found nowhere else than in in HMV once in a while.
Zero will win, whatever you do.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Personally, I prefer using eBay for purchasing my Blu-ray Disc movies. I do check HMV, Future Shop, Best Buy, Blockbuster Video and Rogers Video once in awhile to see if they have any decent offers. But to be honest, I find that those retailers rarely offer any decent prices and when they do they are far and few.

That's just my two cents.

This is a good deal, though: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...4998491bdcen02

Great movie with solid PQ and excellent AQ.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Power Member

May 2009
The Fissure of Woe

I mostly get blus from FS and Best Buy.
I don't buy a lot of movies so although HMV have great deals (as well as the 7.99 and 9.99 deals at FS and BB) I never bought a movie there since I would not just buy a movie because it is cheap. I only get the ones that I want.

All in all, I say we get screwed here in Canada comparing to the US. Hell I even order from amazon.uk since some movies are way cheaper than getting them from here. Amazon.ca just pain sucks comparing to the sweet deals they get in the US.
There are stories of young men stopping to gaze longingly at statues of the beautiful goddesses, only to forget themselves and die of thirst while simply looking on.
Thanks given by:
Sukie (08-03-2014)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

Jun 2010

For me if it's a day one buy I go to Futureshop, they are usually right on the money and have the titles out I want on the shelf and the prices are on par with Amazon.ca for the first few days. If it's after the first release day I usually just buy from Amazon.ca as I know it's in stock for sure and the price wil be right. Futureshop's prices tend to go up by about $3-$4 after the movie has been out for a couple or few days.

I absolutely never buy from Walmart as I hate that company with a passion!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

For me:

Futureshop
Bestbuy
Amazon.ca
Amazon.com (sometimes it's cheaper even with shipping, also the excess import fees are refunded)
Old 06-08-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post
...although HMV have great deals, i never bought a movie there since I would not just buy a movie because it is cheap. I only get the ones that I want.
are you saying that out of the 94 titles that HMV has in the 2/$20 deal and the 150 titles in the 2/$25 deal, you can't find anything that you "want?"

Fight Club? Dark City? 300? Quantum of Solace? The Thing? Good, Bad, Ugly? Untouchables?

Do you have any idea how RIDICULOUS that sounds?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #17
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Vancouver, British Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post
I mostly get blus from FS and Best Buy.
I don't buy a lot of movies so although HMV have great deals (as well as the 7.99 and 9.99 deals at FS and BB) I never bought a movie there since I would not just buy a movie because it is cheap. I only get the ones that I want.

All in all, I say we get screwed here in Canada comparing to the US. Hell I even order from amazon.uk since some movies are way cheaper than getting them from here. Amazon.ca just pain sucks comparing to the sweet deals they get in the US.
They get the shittier cases in the US though.
GO LEAFS GO
GO INDIANS GO
GO VIKINGS GO
Old 06-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2010
Ontario, Canada

amazon for new, blockbuster for used. They're about $5-6 cheaper than Rogers video, and have a far better selection.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Special Member

Dec 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I've also been ordering a lot of movies from the UK using Amazon.co.uk They have some killer deals, and even some of the more expensive titles here in Canada/USA are cheap.

Heck, look at Zodiac. It is still $39.99 CAD at FutureShop/BestBuy and very few stores have them in stock. In the UK it is 8.99/$13.62 CAD (minus VAT removal) so it's pretty much 1/2 (even when you add in shipping).

The only downside to Amazon.co.uk is that it takes roughly 2 weeks to get items, at least to Winnipeg, MB.
Samsung 55" LCD, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Oppo BDP-83, Toshiba HD-AX2, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer RFD-1, Onkyo TX-NR808, HTPC
Old 06-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
The O.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exist2Inspire View Post
I've also been ordering a lot of movies from the UK using Amazon.co.uk They have some killer deals, and even some of the more expensive titles here in Canada/USA are cheap.

Heck, look at Zodiac. It is still $39.99 CAD at FutureShop/BestBuy and very few stores have them in stock. In the UK it is 8.99/$13.62 CAD (minus VAT removal) so it's pretty much 1/2 (even when you add in shipping).

The only downside to Amazon.co.uk is that it takes roughly 2 weeks to get items, at least to Winnipeg, MB.
In the case of Zodiac, the UK version is a little different from the CAD/US version (ie. single disc instead of two and different bd specs) so you're getting less content. That being said, Amazon.co.uk is great for other releases that are the same as their NA counterparts. Particularly, boxsets like the Mission Impossible, Spider-Man and Bourne trilogies are great deals. I got the MI trilogy for ~$25 CAD and the Spider-Man and Bourne trilogies for ~$28-29 CAD each.

Last edited by ArrestedDevelopment; 06-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada