New: Black Friday Deals Week has started! Check out the Blu-ray Deals page » ×

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Black Friday Deals Week is Live »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cars (Blu-ray)
$6.66
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Everest 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mother! 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Furious 7 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Camelot (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India
Default Should I replace my lamp or clean the projector? The picture has become really dim.

I have an Optoma HD67 and over the last one month the picture has become really dim. I have used 800 hours of my bulb and the expected lamp life is 3000 hours.
I noticed the dimness last night when watching Fright Night 2011. Comparing it to the digital copy on my iPad (backlight on min) it was really dim. I couldn't see anything. If I turn up the brightness, the picture becomes washed out.
Two months ago, my projector was identical to my iPad.
Even the colors are messed up and I notice a lot of red push. Decreasing the red gain makes them yellow.

There is a lot of dust in my house and I don't cover the projector.

Do I need to get a new lamp or clean the projector? It's a filtreerless design.
There isn't an optoma customer care center in my city.
Should I just open the lamp panel and clean that area? Is there something wrong with the color wheel? Please help me out guys.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 12-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
I have an Optoma HD67 and over the last one month the picture has become really dim. I have used 800 hours of my bulb and the expected lamp life is 3000 hours.
I noticed the dimness last night when watching Fright Night 2011. Comparing it to the digital copy on my iPad (backlight on min) it was really dim. I couldn't see anything. If I turn up the brightness, the picture becomes washed out.
Two months ago, my projector was identical to my iPad.
Even the colors are messed up and I notice a lot of red push. Decreasing the red gain makes them yellow.

There is a lot of dust in my house and I don't cover the projector.

Do I need to get a new lamp or clean the projector? It's a filtreerless design.
There isn't an optoma customer care center in my city.
Should I just open the lamp panel and clean that area? Is there something wrong with the color wheel? Please help me out guys.
If everything on the projector is still working fine, but the picture is dim, its almost certainly the lamp. Although most lamps can last bright for thousands of hours, sometimes you will get a dud. In your case you may have just gotten that unlucky lamp that doesn't last too long. The other indicator that its the lamp malfunctioning is the drastic sudden brightness change.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE
Old 12-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Agree with tilallr1, my dad has a portable DLP projector that he uses for movie watching regularly and it also had a bulb that dimmed to the point of being unwatchable within only 800 hours. So this isn't completely unheard of, I'd order up a new bulb. Cleaning the area around where the lamp housing/lamp would sit inside the projector is definitely worth a try but I would do some research on what areas are cleanable without being a full service tech. I definitely wouldn't take the thing apart. If you still notice a dim picture post lamp change then get a hold of Optoma customer care.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Marantz AV8801 AV Processor || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 12-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Agree with tilallr1, my dad has a portable DLP projector that he uses for movie watching regularly and it also had a bulb that dimmed to the point of being unwatchable within only 800 hours. So this isn't completely unheard of, I'd order up a new bulb. Cleaning the area around where the lamp housing/lamp would sit inside the projector is definitely worth a try but I would do some research on what areas are cleanable without being a full service tech. I definitely wouldn't take the thing apart. If you still notice a dim picture post lamp change then get a hold of Optoma customer care.
Yeah exactly, you don't want to open the sucker up and introduce Dust Blobs into your light path or something. Not a pretty sight.

TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD

TILALLR1's UV / iTunes / Google Play / Disney DMA/DMR / Digital Copy - CODES FOR SALE
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 AM   #5

Aug 2011
Windsor, Ontario, Canada

um... i think lamps are warrantied for 1 year aren't they? call the company.

this question always comes up for me too...but only because the lamps are so expensive and newer projectors are so cheap.

i have a Benq W9000 ($6999.99 retail) that I paid $1800.00 for a few years ago. I've replaced the lamp once...but when I need to again i'm considering selling it and getting a new projector instead. It's hard to justify selling it when the projector was so expensive, but i fyou have a $1000.00 unit it's a no brainer to sell when it gets high hours and then buy a new one...especially when one bulb is the cost of 1/2 the projector
so apparently 17 TB is just NOT enough storage for me..... LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

The picture is dim compared to my iPad but not so dim that I would have noticed if I hadn't compared them. I'm going to use it for one more year before I replace it.
I didn't open up my projector as I don't want to introduce new problems. In India, I bought the projector for 2000$. I can't really justify buying a new projector instead of a bulb.(I'm still in high school.)
I'll get it serviced next year and will replace the bulb as well.
Anyway, thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Tags
clean, dim, hd66, lamp, optoma