Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Split (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Warcraft 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$69.99
The Mummy 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lone Survivor 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Bridesmaids (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megan Leavey (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fifty Shades Darker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 11-30-2011, 02:38 AM   #1

Mar 2008
Default Highly considering a projector, tips

Last winter I was in the market for a new TV, and with an excellent employee discount through UPS I was able to get a Panasonic GT25 50" for what was, at the time, a steal. I was skeptical about going Plasma as I had always owned LCD's, but I made the leap and I absolutely loved the TV (esp watching Blu's in THX mode).

About a month and a half after I had my Panny all mounted and proud, my uncle called me over to help him work on his basement which he was converting into a HT. The bastard (I say so with love), ordered an Optoma 1080p projector, a 100" screen, new onkyo receiver, and 6 Berkliners. Talk about going home disappointed with your setup lol.

Anyway, I watched a few football/basketball games at his house and was blown away, but I'd never really sat down and watched a movie on the set up. Then one night a few months ago he had a movie night (Red Riding Hood), and me and the girlfriend went over to watch. I. Was. Floored. As corny or cliche as it sounds, it was like being at the theaters, only better. The Blu-ray looked fantastic, the screen size in a smaller room was amazing, it was so crisp in the dark basement - ever since that day I've been absolutely hooked.

So to cut my unintentionally long story short, with Christmas coming I have the option of just receiving cash from several family members that I could throw towards a projector. I've seen the Optoma HD20 on several sites for around $750 now. It would go on a pull down screen I would just pull down over my Panny, the room is far from ideal as I do have a couple windows, but we work 3rd shift so 99.9% of movie viewing is on the weekends in the middle of the night as is.

What do you guys think? Optoma or a different brand/model? I'd like to stick around that $600-$800 price range. I know thats pushing it but I've seen so many random price drops and crazy deals. I'd really prefer 1080p for my Blu's/PS3, but do you guys think a bigger cut on a 720p would be worth it?

I hate having expensive hobbies. I'm so torn on going projector, or throwing the money under the hood of my Mustang (my other obsession) lol. All feedback is appreciated, I wish I could go back in time and not watch a blu at his house on that damn thing. I was content until then lol.
PSN ID; romac1314

Last edited by romac; 12-02-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

As much as the "room matters most" especially with projectors, keep in mind you have to be "perfect" when you have a projector, and no you don't need to make a room. You can do experimentation with the image. Heck I was around 9 years old when my Dad got the infocus x1 (800x600, though a wonderful piece of technology in a DIY room), and got my own personal projector over 2 years ago. Very happy despite having been using it in environments not terribly ideal.

If screen is a concern, I would either just get the projector and wait on a screen, or buy a cheap screen with it if that will satify you. You might ultimately be happy with a cheap screen. Better screens with give performance advantages, and you can always change the screen with the same projector (as using a different projector with the same screen).

A projector can theoretically display any screen size your heart's content. Just based on the design of the lens and zoom will determine how you'll place it.

The Optoma's are pretty good value for 1080p projectors, although you might want to read up a few things about alternatives (Viewsonic Pro8200 is significantly brighter and cost as much as the Optoma HD20, but people report reliability and QC issues, Epsons have lens shift (allowing the image to be placed despite the projector's placement), while many of the cheaper DLP (like the optoma) projectors have a fixed offset (that is if the projector lays flat and is not center to the screen, will require angling the projector, leaving a slightly trapezoid image, and may require (unwanted) keystoning), but the epsons are less bright in cinema modes, etc.), but for most first timers, anything will bring a smile. I was actually happy when I fired up my infocus on a 165 inch screen.

Generally larger screen sizes that a projector can, can allow more comfortable viewing distances compared to flat panels and computer monitors. The higher the resolution, the closer you can face the screen, so yes, with a projector, 1080p content is more beneficial than on a smaller television.

My advice is read reviews and experiment when you get a projector you feel is right, and understand the limitations and benefits of the projector model you have. I think you won't be disappointed.
Projectors: JVC DLA-X3, Infocus X10 1080p DLP projector
TV:Samsung Plasma PN60F5300 (60 inch, 1080p)
AV Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1124
HTPC/gaming rig
Steam: rctyke (trogdor2010)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:15 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010

Epson 8350 is a awesome choice........do not get 720p ........ The 8350 was $999.99 last week but i think that sale is over.
EPSON 5030UB PROJECTOR - 100" ELITE SCREEN
RECEIVER - DENON AVR-X4300H 7.2.4 ATMOS - SONY UBP-X800 ULTRA HD BLU-RAY PLAYER
FRONT SPEAKERS - BOWERS & WILKINS 684 - CENTER - BOWERS & WILKINS HTM62
REARS - BOWERS & WILKINS i DM600
SIDES - PREMIER ACOUSTIC - PA-8S
ATMOS SPEAKERS - ONKYO ATMOS ENABLED FRONT AND REAR
SUBWOOFERS - KLIPSCH SUB 12HG SYNERGY 650 WATT REAR - PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT
BASS SHAKERS - 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS + BASH AMP
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #4

Mar 2011

I say spend your $ where you spend the most time. I love cars and my theater room. But I spend more time in my home than in my car. So I spent my $ on my theater and love it. Once you get the basic set up, you can always upgrade items when you have the money. I say do it!
Old 12-02-2011, 02:21 AM   #5

Mar 2008

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm still so torn. I do love my Mustang as well lol.

Anyway, I'm thinking it would be nice to have the projector not just for home theater purposes, but also for entertainment/parties. Super Bowl, movie nights etc would be awesome with some friends/co-workers over.
PSN ID; romac1314
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors