COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Pain & Gain (Blu-ray)
$10.18
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
$27.99
George Gently, Series 1 (Blu-ray)
$20.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$20.13
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #21

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
Of course. It's been slow for as long as I've owned it (through several firmware updates). In particular, it takes about 4 minutes to show anything other than a black screen when I play my Avatar BR.
Ok, Just checking, I wonder if the 601 (my unit) is slightly faster then the 60, It depends on the disc too though some load in mine pretty fast, others take a minute or two. Avatar I've found as well as the chipmunks take forever to load if it's trying to find the spot you left off with. compared to a cold start of the disc(s).
Old 06-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
I totally agree Doc, That's why I pick my sources carefully and try to stick to professional and well known sources. Really I don't think people fighting over petty stuff even if valid gives newbies a good impression. I myself am used to people fighting over stupid stuff. but At the same time I'll speak from a newbie's prospective, why the heck would I want to invest in blu-ray after seeing people fight over stuff like they do on this forum, no one seems happy and content. It doesn't sound like a technology worth investing in from that point of view I've also had quite a few years of being an IRC admin and while this isn't IRC the same applies you don't know who's reading this and you might be turning people away by your actions. Always act professional for good measure.
If you are referring to me I'm not fighting with anyone. I'm being honest and I'm not name calling or thread crapping. I have a PS3 slim and an Oppo BDP-80 and based on the link provided I disagree with some of the load times ( and that's not really a matter of opinion as my copy of TDL loads faster than listed on the PS3 slim. Perhaps its a fluke but another poster chimed in and stated the same finding).

Likewise, you can get an Oppo BDP-80 for $300.

And I have no issues with any Panny, Sony or any other manufacturer's player. But I won't retract my statement that Oppo and Sony (via the PS3) get substantially better and more frequent FW support than most players...that doesn't mean the other manufacturer's players suck but rather when a problem disc comes out you can expect Oppo to declare it and fix it via FW with few reported problems post installation.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #23

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL
Send a message via AIM to MacinMan Send a message via MSN to MacinMan Send a message via Yahoo to MacinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume11 View Post
If you are referring to me I'm not fighting with anyone. I'm being honest and I'm not name calling or thread crapping. I have a PS3 slim and an Oppo BDP-80 and based on the link provided I disagree with some of the load times ( and that's not really a matter of opinion as my copy of TDL loads faster than listed on the PS3 slim. Perhaps its a fluke but another poster chimed in and stated the same finding).

Likewise, you can get an Oppo BDP-80 for $300.

And I have no issues with any Panny, Sony or any other manufacturer's player. But I won't retract my statement that Oppo and Sony (via the PS3) get substantially better and more frequent FW support than most players...that doesn't mean the other manufacturer's players suck but rather when a problem disc comes out you can expect Oppo to declare it and fix it via FW with few reported problems post installation.
Nah I wasn't accusing you of anything specifically I was mainly referring to people and forums in general as far as different name brands I really don't have a fair argument in many cases. As a end user they all do about the same thing I would actually have to use each product a fair amount of time to really get a technical feel for each. Anyway I'm not against buying a PS3 though since i don't game would buying it just for movies be a wasted investment? as far as oppo goes I have no experience with that company, so naturally I'd trust sony or another big name such as panasonic or pioneer. Actually I haven't even seen an oppo product for sale locally around here.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #24
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Nah I wasn't accusing you of anything specifically I was mainly referring to people and forums in general as far as different name brands I really don't have a fair argument in many cases. As a end user they all do about the same thing I would actually have to use each product a fair amount of time to really get a technical feel for each. Anyway I'm not against buying a PS3 though since i don't game would buying it just for movies be a wasted investment? as far as oppo goes I have no experience with that company, so naturally I'd trust sony or another big name such as panasonic or pioneer. Actually I haven't even seen an oppo product for sale locally around here.
Oppo only sell through their website and Amazon (and a few boutique shops). And you should check the dedicated threads to the various Oppo players...you won't find too many unhappy owners. Plus, they are incredibly easy to mod.

And even if you don't game I still think the PS3 slim is a great choice if Netflix streaming, DL'able content, and FW support are important to you.

Even then the new Sony and Panny lines are great and my contentions in this thread had nothing to do with swaying people away from either companies' stand alone players.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Ok, Just checking, I wonder if the 601 (my unit) is slightly faster then the 60, It depends on the disc too though some load in mine pretty fast, others take a minute or two. Avatar I've found as well as the chipmunks take forever to load if it's trying to find the spot you left off with. compared to a cold start of the disc(s).
I read one time that the only difference between the DMP60 and the 601 is that the 601 was prepackaged with an HDMI cable. Or something insignificant like that; same unit at least.
Chronic Post Editor: If this post is fewer than five minutes old, then I am probably still revising it.

Noob Audiophile: MusicBee > HRT Music Streamer II+ > Matrix M-Stage (2x OPA602BP) > AKG Q701
My Music
Old 06-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #26

Apr 2010
Daytona Beach FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilky61 View Post
I read one time that the only difference between the DMP60 and the 601 is that the 601 was prepackaged with an HDMI cable. Or something insignificant like that; same unit at least.
Don't think it was the hdmi cable, mine didn't come with an hdmi cable but I had one already so that wasn't a big deal
Old 06-06-2010, 02:15 AM   #27

Dec 2007
Florida

Well we'll soon know how fast the DMP-BD65 will be, since I've just ordered one to sit along side my PS3.. So I'll be able to give it a fair by fair comparision to a fast BD player in the PS3.

Ordered from Amazon on the freebie shipping, so it's going to be a week or so, before i can report back with my findings.

Watch this space !

Paid $135 delivered, plus i'll be getting $25 back from my recent Avatar BD purchase, and I'm also getting 3 free BD's thrown in.. Was too good to say no !
Main
Panasonic TC-P55GT50 / PS3 Slim 500gig, Yamaha RX-A2010, HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub, KEF Q70's Main / KEF 90 Center, JBL Rears, DMP-BDT220.
Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P50G25 / PS3 500GB, Yamaha Reciever, Xbox 360 / Media Center PC
Old 06-10-2010, 03:26 AM   #28

Dec 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc46 View Post
Well we'll soon know how fast the DMP-BD65 will be, since I've just ordered one to sit along side my PS3.. So I'll be able to give it a fair by fair comparision to a fast BD player in the PS3.

Ordered from Amazon on the freebie shipping, so it's going to be a week or so, before i can report back with my findings.

Watch this space !

Paid $135 delivered, plus i'll be getting $25 back from my recent Avatar BD purchase, and I'm also getting 3 free BD's thrown in.. Was too good to say no !
Well for those that are interested in this player and find themselves in this thread.. Yup, the BD65 is FAST !!! Actually even faster than both my PS3's.. (phat & slim) Not bothered to get the stop watch out.. But you can rest assured, this thing is super responsive on the remote and loads up blurays faster than the PS3... Very very happy with my purchase so far !!

Way to go Panasonic !
Main
Panasonic TC-P55GT50 / PS3 Slim 500gig, Yamaha RX-A2010, HSU VTF-2 MK4 Sub, KEF Q70's Main / KEF 90 Center, JBL Rears, DMP-BDT220.
Bedroom
Old 06-10-2010, 05:56 AM   #29
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

^ Congratulations!

...And in the process I did learn something from you (the BD65 is faster than both the slim & phat PS3).
Not that it's very important for me, the picture is, and 1080i performance also is.

But one thing I knew already is that Panasonic makes great BD players (I own the BD55).
Old 06-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #30

Dec 2007
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
^ Congratulations!

...And in the process I did learn something from you (the BD65 is faster than both the slim & phat PS3).
Not that it's very important for me, the picture is, and 1080i performance also is.

But one thing I knew already is that Panasonic makes great BD players (I own the BD55).
After spending sometime with the player now, i can say it's also a slightly crisper picture than the PS3, i seem to be picking up a little extra detail. Also can confirm that it seems quite a bit faster than either of my PS3's.. I need stop being lazy and get out the stop watch.. But rest assured, this player is excellent.. I can't see myself ever using the PS3 as my Bluray player now this puppy is sitting along side it.
Main
Bedroom
Old 02-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #31
Expert Member

Nov 2009
7800 Namsos

Lately I had some problems playing some disks with this player. I had the same problem once when THX1138 would start, I just inserted a memory card.

Now I cant seem to play Umberto D, Summer with Monika or Videodrome.. all released by criterion. I tried with a memory card but I it wasnt clean. Would a new empty card do the trick.

When the player wont play the disks it makes funny sounds on start up.
Got following OOP for trade:
Melancholia Plain Archive, The Wrestler Plain Archive Steelbook Full Slip, Deep End 3-Disc, Last Year At Marienbad, Leon Morin Priest, Le Cercle Rouge, Play Time, Lady Snowblood Steelbook, Terminator 2 UK Steel Skynet Edition, Casablanca Ultimate Collectors Edition, Jour De Fete, The Nightmare Before Christmas Steelbook

Trading thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders