COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leonard Cohen: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Extant: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.96
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Special Member

Mar 2009
GOOLE NR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
Send a message via MSN to stubiedoo
Default DTS HD master audio and dts-HD High Res

Any difference?
My mission is to protect you.
Yeah? Who sent you?
You did. Thirty-five years from now, you re-programmed me to be your protector here, in this time.
Oh, this is deep... ~
Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

There's a sticky with all the information regarding Codec's

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=41820
Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Special Member

Mar 2009
GOOLE NR HULL EAST YORKSHIRE
Send a message via MSN to stubiedoo

Thanks,not as good as master audio then
My mission is to protect you.
Yeah? Who sent you?
You did. Thirty-five years from now, you re-programmed me to be your protector here, in this time.
Oh, this is deep... ~
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #4

Aug 2009

That isn't what the article said. Near the bottom of the article is this statement:

"There are no major audio quality differences between LPCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS Master Audio."
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP_San_Diego View Post
That isn't what the article said. Near the bottom of the article is this statement:

"There are no major audio quality differences between LPCM, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS Master Audio."
The OP is wanting to know the difference between DTS-HD Master Audio and DTS-HD High Resolution. The answer is Master Audio is lossless at a VBR of up to 24.5Mbps, whereas High Resolution is lossy at a CBR of up to 6Mbps.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

Aug 2009

My reply was to his second post, where he said

"Thanks,not as good as master audio then "
Old 07-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCP_San_Diego View Post
My reply was to his second post, where he said

"Thanks,not as good as master audio then "
To which Tech-UK actually responded. The OP merely wants a comparison between Master Audio and HR, notices from the link given that MA is lossless and HR Is lossy, therefore concludes MA is better.
The ability to speak does not make one intelligent, now get out of here. - Qui-Gon Jinn

TV: Sony KDL40Z5500 (200 HZ, WCG CCFL, 10 bit colour)
Speakers: Jamo S608 (fronts), Jamo S60 CEN (Center), Jamo S60 SUR (Surrounds), Klipsch RW-12D (Subwoofer), Marantz SR6004 (Receiver)
Blu-ray player: Pioneer BDP-LX55
Game console: PS3 60GB (launch model with SACD).
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquel View Post
To which Tech-UK actually responded. The OP merely wants a comparison between Master Audio and HR, notices from the link given that MA is lossless and HR Is lossy, therefore concludes MA is better.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #9

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquel View Post
You're right. I misunderstood the question. I blame it in jet lag after flying from London to Southern CA.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #10

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
slimdude

When did DTS change their name to Datasat Digital Sound?

http://datasatdigital.com/consumer/
Actuallly, all the following companies are the same.

Defense Travel System
http://www.defensetravel.osd.mil/dts/site/index.jsp

Dallas Theological Seminary
http://www.dts.edu/

Cadillac DTS
http://www.cadillac.com/discontinued...TS+Exact_|_dts

Formerly known as Digital Theater Systems, Inc.
http://www.dts.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Theatre_System
Quote:
DTS is a series of multichannel audio technologies owned by DTS, Inc. (NASDAQ: DTSI, formerly known as Digital Theater Systems, Inc.), an American company specializing in digital surround sound formats used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications. It was known as The Digital Experience until 1995.

In 2008 the cinema division was divested to form DTS Digital Cinema. In 2009 DTS Digital Cinema was purchased by Beaufort International Group Plc. and became known as Datasat Digital Entertainment. Beginning in 2011, the DTS cinema branding has been dropped, in favour of the Datasat Digital Sound branding. The original DTS Inc. company continues to exist developing and licensing DTS products in the home consumer market. Datasat Digital Entertainment has also announced a range of very high-end consumer audio processing products.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 09-23-2012 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

Big Daddy I was wondering is consumer stuff like AVR's and Blu-ray's they will still be called DTS right? But theater level stuff and high end audio will bear the DataSat name? At least that's what I got out of it..
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Old 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #12

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Big Daddy I was wondering is consumer stuff like AVR's and Blu-ray's they will still be called DTS right? But theater level stuff and high end audio will bear the DataSat name? At least that's what I got out of it..
Unless I am wildly off base, DTS' cinema division (what is now Datasat) and DTS' consumer division have been separate for a while. Moreover, much to the surprise of many, the cinema and consumer divisions never used the same technology. The cinema codec (apt-X) is very different from the consumer codec (Zeta/Coherent Acoustics/Digital Surround -- DTS has a long history of naming problems).

AJ
Old 02-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
Unless I am wildly off base, DTS' cinema division (what is now Datasat) and DTS' consumer division have been separate for a while. Moreover, much to the surprise of many, the cinema and consumer divisions never used the same technology. The cinema codec (apt-X) is very different from the consumer codec (Zeta/Coherent Acoustics/Digital Surround -- DTS has a long history of naming problems).

AJ

The thing is you can never tell what sound format is really playing, for the few people that do say until the credits are over.. you will have something like SDDS, Dolby Digital & DataSat.. I will assume by default it would be Dolby Digital? Also I think if I heard right Sony dropped out of the theater sound market not too long ago?
Got my first Blu-ray on September 28th 2011!
100 Blu-ray's on 2/10/13

PS4 tag= Subaru1324
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion