COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leonard Cohen: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Extant: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.96
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #921

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Also correct.

The problem I have in Sorcerer is that, while the unstable dynamite is certainly very dangerous, as a viewer, it simply does not give me the same raw, edge-of-my-seat feeling that I get watching them transport liqud nitro over a washboard road...especially at high speeds. Just thinking about the latter practically gives me the cold sweats. haha
I had just turned seventeen when I saw this in the theater, and I knew nothing about dynamite, but the film made it clear that nitroglycerin had settled from the dynamite into the boxes. They were transporting liquid nitroglycerin, not in bottles but in crates.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #922

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt The Fries View Post
I want to recut the footage from Bluray and recreate the original trailer frame by frame with a meticulous precision.
I've actually done this, if you'd like to see it - I'm not sure of b-r.com's policy on posting Youtube links, but if you search for 'Sorcerer 1977 trailer HD remaster' it should appear.

Any tips on the missing/substituted shots, I'd be pleased to hear them...
Thanks given by:
Gentle Star (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #923
Special Member

Jan 2014
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post
I've actually done this, if you'd like to see it - I'm not sure of b-r.com's policy on posting Youtube links, but if you search for 'Sorcerer 1977 trailer HD remaster' it should appear.

Fantastic! thank you
Drink up, Mr. innocent. Drink. Everybody's innocent here. There's only one guilty party...and that's me.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #924

Jun 2011
Sunny Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnof View Post

Outstanding! Great job. Thank you.

Harry
Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #925
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Just finished watching Friedkin's Sorcerer on the recent Blu.....Wow. What a truly beautiful & sublime movie.

First of all, this print is gorgeous...it's definitely like seeing the film for the first time. Superb PQ & color...the green forest scenery was especially vivid; even the scenes during the downpour (as the trucks were driving over the rickety bridge) were quite clear. Those who were responsible for cleaning this picture up for this Blu print deserve a medal. This is definitely one of my all-time favorite Blu's of a '70's film, and is right up there with the Taxi Driver Blu...

The soundtrack by Tangerine Dream was astounding...I like their music in anything, but it especially worked here.

Re: the inevitable comparison to Wages of Fear, I did see that film and, to be honest, it doesn't hold a candle to the brilliance of Sorcerer. I feel Friedkin's film was much more intense & well done. Though, granted, I'm biased towards '70's films anyway since it's probably my favorite decade for cinema:

I thought it was great to see the beginning sequences which explained why these four guys ended up living in a hell-hole at the end of the earth, and why they were down on their luck/desperate enough to take the extremely dangerous job of transporting dynamite. The extreme contrast between the various urban areas (New Jersey, Paris, etc.) in the beginning to a s%$&%$ in the middle of nowhere was quite pronounced...This exposition was missing from the WOF; as far as I can remember, there wasn't a back-story for the characters in that film...

Also, the ending scenes were incredible:

-Great scenery when
[Show spoiler]Scheider was driving through the canyons towards the end; the purple dusk sky in the background was stunning

The final scene of the film was truly brilliant -
[Show spoiler]liked the unexpected downer of having Scheider about to get away with the $, then having the taxi pull up outside of the cantina with the mob guys who were after him...after they went into the cantina you knew he was a goner (and I believe you heard a shot....)

I was also very impressed by the small HC booklet that came with the film (an excerpt from Friedkin's memoir); great insight on the making of the movie, and it was especially interesting to hear Friedkin's inspiration for the title of the film. Prior to reading this, I had no idea why a movie about a group of desperate men transporting dynamite across a jungle would be titled Sorcerer....

Didn't mind that there were no extras on this Blu; the print & film were so stellar that I honestly didn't care...

I wonder why this film didn't do better in the theater? Possibly because, as Friedkin himself says in the book, it came out around the same time the original Star Wars hit theaters, and nothing much could compete with SW at that time...

(The only other time I had seen Sorcerer was the old pan & scan DVD from years ago; that print was horrible, and looked like a bad VHS rip...In any case, the PQ was so bad on that print that I actually couldn't make out most of the action, and therefore the movie didn't make a lot of sense to me...)

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-18-2014 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:02 AM   #926
Banned

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
The final scene of the film was truly brilliant -
[Show spoiler]liked the unexpected downer of having Scheider about to get away with the $, then having the taxi pull up outside of the cantina with the mob guys who were after him...after they went into the cantina you knew he was a goner (and I believe you heard a shot....)
Which was sadly just added for this release.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:05 AM   #927
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
Didn't know this, since I hadn't seen the film for years. Well, to be honest,
[Show spoiler]the noise of the shot wasn't necessary, since you knew what was going to happen right when the mobsters walked into the cantina...
Old 07-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #928

Feb 2014

Friedkin's incapable of subtlety anymore (not that the film was subtle in the first place, but, y'know).

His recut of Rampage managed to remove any ambiguity as well.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM   #929
Power Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
Friedkin's incapable of subtlety anymore (not that the film was subtle in the first place, but, y'know).

His recut of Rampage managed to remove any ambiguity as well.
Don't get me started on Exorcist: The Version You Wish You'd Never Seen
Old 07-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #930
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post
Don't get me started on Exorcist: The Version You Wish You'd Never Seen
To be fair to Friedkin, he only did that to please Blatty. He was right the first time around, but he caved to Blatty's consistent pleading. And as much as I like Blatty, Friedkin was right the first time around.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #931

Feb 2014

I'm not sure Blatty wanted all that crappy cgi, but still.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 AM   #932
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraVerde View Post
...Seriously? I watched the remaster the other week and completely missed this. That's...highly irritating
Old 07-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #933
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
I'm not sure Blatty wanted all that crappy cgi, but still.
Nor the overwhelming blue cast he added to the exorcism sequences.

I wish Friedkin would take off his stagey opera director hat before playing with the colourist's tools on his remasters. His all-too-obvious "effects" are a cramp in the buttocks.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #934

Oct 2010

Finally got see this, and I think it lived up the hype. It definitely is rewatchable. It's a shame more people haven't seen it.

And despite what Friedkin supposedly said about Roy Scheider, I think Scheider brought his A game.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:52 AM   #935
Expert Member

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBirds View Post
Finally got see this, and I think it lived up the hype. It definitely is rewatchable. It's a shame more people haven't seen it.

And despite what Friedkin supposedly said about Roy Scheider, I think Scheider brought his A game.
Agreed. IMHO Scheider was great in everything he was in, especially French Connection, Jaws, The Seven Ups, 52 Pick Up, etc.

However, IMHO Sorcerer is his best role...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #936
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Didn't know this, since I hadn't seen the film for years. Well, to be honest,
[Show spoiler]the noise of the shot wasn't necessary, since you knew what was going to happen right when the mobsters walked into the cantina...
Thank you ...

er... I mean William Friedkin!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America