Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Fairy Tail: Part Twenty Two (Blu-ray)
$42.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #1421
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Yeah, but that was never gonna happen because that'd take the film in a different direction to how it was ultimately envisioned for the screen (making Manhattan the enemy, rather than the big "alien" beastie) and it'd need so much more additional material to make the "alien" reveal make sense. Heck, I was baffled enough by it when I read the comic.
From what I remember I had to go back and re-read the last few pages as the creature is more in the background and I have a strange habit of not really looking at panel artwork. I just read the text. I have to keep telling myself to look at the artwork!

I like both endings, but they're very different things.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 07-17-2016, 11:49 PM   #1422

Mar 2012

So this new release doesn't have director's cut?
Old 07-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #1423
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

I've been a fan of the Watchmen graphic novel since reading it in the '90's, and feel it's one of the best comic series out there.

The movie is extremely well-done, and one of the best & purest adaptations of the source material - except for the ending, which was understandably changed for the film.

I have the Watchmen Director's cut & the extremely disturbing Tales of the Black Freighter (separate DVD's), but have considered getting the Ultimate Cut - which is the only version that apparently "weaves in" the TOTBF story within the movie.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #1424
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

There is more to the UC than just putting Freighter back in, there are live action segues going into and out of each segment of it, making it even more like the comic. These are not in the DC or theater version.

I always related to and loved the kid at the newsstand reading the BF, and there's plenty more of him and the newsstand guy (aka the 2 Bernards). For this I feel the UC is slightly better than the DC, and clearly more complete than watching the DC and BF separately.

Just in case anyone thought it was just BF popped back in here and there.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #1425
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
There is more to the UC than just putting Freighter back in, there are live action segues going into and out of each segment of it, making it even more like the comic. These are not in the DC or theater version.

I always related to and loved the kid at the newsstand reading the BF, and there's plenty more of him and the newsstand guy (aka the 2 Bernards). For this I feel the UC is slightly better than the DC, and clearly more complete than watching the DC and BF separately.
Good to know - fantastic. I was not aware that the Ultimate Cut was anything other than just the Director's cut with TOTBF weaved into the film.

I remember how Watchmen got fairly slammed when it made it's theatrical debut in March 2009; I didn't see it until I watched the DVD much later - I was purposely avoiding the film because I didn't think it would live up the graphic novel.

However, when I finally saw the film I was extremely impressed - they kept the alternate 1980's setting of the graphic novel, the exact costumes of the characters, essentially the same storyline, etc. Extremely well-done. The only real difference was the very ending of the film, and I completely understand why they picked the ending that they did - if they had kept the graphic novels' original ending (
[Show spoiler]with the artificially made alien destroying much of NYC, in order to unite the planet together)
that wouldn't have worked nearly as well cinematically.

Also completely agree that the alien
[Show spoiler]explanation in the comic required a lot of exposition in order to really understand what exactly happened - i.e., in that one two-page panel you saw a huge bug-eyed dead alien that had suddenly appeared from nowhere & destroyed half of Times Square; this was a real shock when I first read this - WTF?! Don't get me wrong - it was a great finale for the comic, but did require a lot of explanation - which wouldn't work for a theatrical film.

And while the Director's Cut is excellent - this Ultimate Cut seems like it's really the perfect adaptation of the source material.

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-18-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #1426
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
It'll have the second disc of extras "in High Definition" that the Ultimate Blu-ray back cover mentions, but not the motion comic disc AFAIK.

The UHD edition will break down like this: Ultimate Cut on UHD with no extras. Ultimate Cut on Blu-ray with commentaries. 1x special features disc on Blu-ray (disc 2 from the Ultimate Blu-ray edition).

[edit] And the PiP 'Maximum Movie Mode' you mention is from the Director's Cut disc, not the Ultimate Cut. Confused yet?
Right, just to go back to this, the people who have the UHD in hand are saying that the 1080p disc is in fact the Director's Cut even though this is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging, unlike BvS which makes it quite clear that the UHD and the Blu are two different cuts.

Moral of the story: don't listen to me and don't take Warners' cover listings as gospel, ever!! They've already ballsed up Man of Steel on UHD by promising the extras that were previously on a separate disc, only for the extras disc to be a no-show.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #1427
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #1428
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Hey, at least I'm honest.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #1429
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Right, just to go back to this, the people who have the UHD in hand are saying that the 1080p disc is in fact the Director's Cut even though this is not mentioned anywhere on the packaging, unlike BvS which makes it quite clear that the UHD and the Blu are two different cuts.

Moral of the story: don't listen to me and don't take Warners' cover listings as gospel, ever!! They've already ballsed up Man of Steel on UHD by promising the extras that were previously on a separate disc, only for the extras disc to be a no-show.
I wonder if it's a production error? Otherwise it would make the first time we've had a UHD BD and BD set with movies that don't match? I thought the 4K and 1080p versions were supposed to match!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 07-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #1430
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
I wonder if it's a production error? Otherwise it would make the first time we've had a UHD BD and BD set with movies that don't match? I thought the 4K and 1080p versions were supposed to match!
Well, that and BvS which has the theatrical on 1080p and the Ultimate on UHD. But at least Warners were up front about that one, though clearly that info evaded folks like Dynamo who bought the 4K assuming, as you do, that the discs are supposed to be the same cut of the movie. I don't think there's a rule that says it has to be the same cut of the movie, in fact they don't even have to include a regular Blu-ray at all.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 AM   #1431
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

While I have no problem with the movie having a different ending then the graphic novel I'm always baffled that people largely accepted the movies ending. The whole point of Veidt's plan was to unite the world, if Doctor Manhattan is responsible for the attack no way does the world unite. The rest of the world would say America's superpower that they have been hanging over our heads for the last couple of decades attacked the planet let's destroy the USA before they can create another superpower.
BlufansVIP

RIP Moviestop thanks for 5+ years of great deals and trades! Best of luck to those who worked there!
Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 PM   #1432
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

I have a strong desire to get the Watchmen Ultimate Cut on Blu, given that I'm both a huge fan of the graphic novel & also since I liked the film versions I've already seen (theatrical & director's cut). And, having Tales of the Black Freighter seamlessly woven into TUC is obviously an added plus.

However, both versions that I've found are quite pricey:

The non-4K version (2012) is about $35 on Amazon; the high price seems to be because of the Watchmen graphic novel (which I already have) that is included here.

The recent, 2016 4K version is my best bet, since it's $30 on Amazon & is apparently the best version out there re: the PQ.

However, I just can't justify paying $30 for a film on Blu - even if it is in 4K.

I wish that they had released the non-4K Ultimate Cut on Blu - without the graphic novel. I'm sure that would have been a much more reasonable price (maybe between $15 - $20)......

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 07-20-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 PM   #1433
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
I have a strong desire to get the Watchmen Ultimate Cut on Blu, given that I'm both a huge fan of the graphic novel & also since I liked the film versions I've already seen (theatrical & director's cut). And, having Tales of the Black Freighter seamlessly woven into TUC is obviously an added plus.

However, both versions that I've found are quite pricey:

The non-4K version (2012) is about $35 on Amazon; the high price seems to be because of the Watchmen graphic novel (which I already have) that is included here.

The recent, 2016 4K version is my best bet, since it's $30 on Amazon & is apparently the best version out there re: the PQ.

However, I just can't justify paying $30 for a film on Blu - even if it is in 4K.

I wish that they had released the non-4K Ultimate Cut on Blu - without the graphic novel. I'm sure that would have been a much more reasonable price (maybe between $15 - $20)......
Those are bargains compared to the first release, which must still get huge prices due to it's cool cover? I thought this would get cheap when the box with book came out, but it seems to be going up still.
Thanks given by:
AnamorphicWidescreen (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 02:56 PM   #1434
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Those are bargains compared to the first release, which must still get huge prices due to it's cool cover? I thought this would get cheap when the box with book came out, but it seems to be going up still.
Good to know! Thanks for the info. - now that I see what the original release is going for, the $30 for the 4K Blu is a bargain - in comparison.

I guess hoping for a single non 4K Blu release without the graphic novel (which will be less than $30) - is not that realistic.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:57 PM   #1435
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City

Just sell the graphic novel and digital copy (and packaging too if you don't need it), the net price should be well within the range you're looking for. I can't verify whether the UV still redeems, but I believe Warner extended the expiration dates on their codes till like next year

Edit: alternatively, you can get the UHD, and sell the code from that for at least $10 on here

Last edited by MifuneFan; 07-20-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #1436
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Just sell the graphic novel and digital copy (and packaging too if you don't need it), the net price should be well within the range you're looking for. I can't verify whether the UV still redeems, but I believe Warner extended the expiration dates on their codes till like next year

Edit: alternatively, you can get the UHD, and sell the code from that for at least $10 on here
Good idea - Thanks. I don't have a 4K set/player, so can't benefit from the new 4K version anyway.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #1437

May 2011

Quote:

Wait, so the UHD version's 1080p disc contains only the DC, and not the UC?
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #1438
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's affirm.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:29 AM   #1439

Mar 2012

So I found the DC blu ray for $8 at BB. Should I be happy with that or do I want the UC?
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #1440
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
Wait, so the UHD version's 1080p disc contains only the DC, and not the UC?
Quote:
That's affirm.
This makes the prices on the earlier BD's more reasonable I guess.
The one with the book is only $34.49 at amazon I see. Not much off the low, and 50 cents less than I paid when I first saw it on sale in 2013!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America