Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Soon: The Big Lebowski (Limited Edit… ()

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Ultimate Laika Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
10 Cloverfield Lane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Cat's Eye (Blu-ray)
$9.99
High Noon (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Creed (Blu-ray)
$7.99
In the Heart of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.43
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.43
Count Dracula's Great Love (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Salem's Lot (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-08-2016, 03:11 AM   #641

Aug 2015

i have the 4 film collection set it has the silver disc for Batman and disc art for the others
Thanks given by:
EddieLove1984 (01-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #642
Expert Member

Nov 2009
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLove1984 View Post
I too just bought this set however i bought mine from "BestBuy" but i too dont have the 5th disc and also my Batman disc is just silver with Batman on it no disc art like other ppls and its driving me crazy not knowing why this is…

I bought this for 17.39 of ebay. Has this set been discontinued?
Old 08-16-2016, 06:14 AM   #643

Jan 2016

Now at it's lowest price point on Amazon UK (7.99 with VAT)

Direct Link

Should be around $13 shipped.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:41 AM   #644
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
tennessee

i wished batman and robin batman forever were in steelbooks just like 89 batman and batman returns
it stinks that i got 1st 2 in steelbooks and other 2 not meh
Old 09-18-2016, 11:09 PM   #645

Jan 2011

I hope that someday Warner really redoes these because all four need it badly for different reasons let alone the 2005 remastering process on all four wasn't the greatest and is hugely outdated.

The first two are supposed to be printed very dark and have never been on home video as they appear theatrically. They were initially brightened back in the day to appear better on CRTs and have never been printed as dark as they're supposed to be- this especially hurts Returns as it makes the sets look obvious when on the big screen they do not.
Why Forever has such a bad HD transfer is beyond me, it shouldn't look the way it does and unlike the others shows the least improvement going from Laserdisc to DVD to special edition to Blu-ray port.

Audio wise they are also hugely problematic.
89 had great bass and low end on laserdisc, and this ProLogic track was ported to the DVD as 5.1. The SE remixed the audio and all the low end was suddenly gone leaving a harshness felt that is also on the BD trueHD audio as it is the same track. Returns was the first official release in Dolby 5.1 but only played Dolby Stereo in general release. The LD sounds better than the print and equal if not a tad better than the old DVD 5.1.
Forever is the rare case where the surround matrix audio is better than the 5.1 discrete. Due to the heavy ADR the matrixed audio is better mixed and has better low end.
The problem is that both it and B&R have inherent distortion for the entire feature on ALL video releases including the BD. How this slipped by anyone is unknown as it is very frequent and very obvious.

To be frank, both Batman and Superman franchises need work properly done as what we currently have is flawed. I get so tired of the endless repackagings when a simple 4K scan with lossless theatrical audio is necessary.
And this is why I still watch laserdiscs as despite the limitations, with proper equipment some films are closer to the theatrical experience.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:13 PM   #646
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

While I would love a 4k remaster of the first two I don't recall them looking bad really. I remember Returns looking especially good. I don't think brightening them for CRTs makes a lot of sense either, since cool temperature CRTs tended to make things look MORE bright, not less. It's likely more you just want a more filmic contrast, which a newer scan would likely provide.

Same for Superman, the theatrical cut discs look pretty darn good to my eye. A brand new 4k scan of the OCN would be amazing of course, but there are many movies that need it more than these IMO.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:27 AM   #647

Oct 2012

Brightness really hurt 89 during the ally fight and you can clearly see it's not Keaton in the suit. I'd love to see Returns darker as I've only seen that on home video. I'd love to see Criterion take on Batman 89!
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 AM   #648
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

If they do a 4K remaster of Batman '89, they should include that vintage '89 documentary a lot of people enjoy, that deleted scene with the little girl isolated from the 2005 documentary, the original "true" teaser trailer and that Hollywood Blockbuster documentary from the Diamond Luxe version.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:57 AM   #649

Jan 2011

I agree the BD is the best PQ yet for the Burton films but it is by no means perfect. There is definite room for improvement. I too felt Returns looked great until I saw the studio archive print and was bowled over at the difference in color depth and darkness alone. Of course the Dolby optical track was sibilant as hell so you can't have everything.

They were brightened for older crts back in the day for the VHS/LD transfers. These were reused for the first DVD, and the later revisit for the SE seems to have kept this in mind to a lesser degree.

The new scans for the Superman series are good largely other than the coloring. The theatrical one is problematic though as for some strange reason some shots don't look so good, but this could be inherent to the production. I will say that the teal issue is real as the LPP print I saw last year has none of it. At least they did give us the original Dolby Stereo audio which is very flat. But it doesn't have the punch or directionality of the laserdisc track whose origin is still unknown.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America