Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Prom Night (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-12-2012, 04:16 AM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Panasonic BDT220 or Sony BDP-S790

I'm looking for a blu-ray player than does Netflix and Vudu streaming without issues. I want a fast and one and good blu-ray image quality and good DVD upconversion, and a good Netflix interface, and minimal issues. Most of the time I will use it for Netflix streaming with the occasional Vudu streaming, DVD or blu-ray watching. My budget is $250. I'm considering the Panasonic BDT220 or the Sony BDP-S790.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:27 AM   #2

Aug 2009

There is no difference in HD picture quality among all blu-ray players, the only differences are:
1. Features
2. Build Quality
3. Loading Speed
4. DVD upconversion.

I read your one of your previous posts that you tried out the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 back in April 12, 2012 and you tried it out and returned because of the sluggish Netflix interface. I have news for you, Panasonic did not fix the issue. My question is why would you want to purchase it again if you were unhappy with it the first time?

Several months ago I tried out the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and returned for the following reasons:
1. Noisy blu-ray disk drive.
2. The audio was out of sync most of the time when streaming content from Netflix (happened with my Yamaha receiver).
3. The Netflix UI was very laggy.
4. Can not support many video or audio codecs when streaming to the player.

The only reasons for people who want the Sony BDP-S790 are:
1. They have a 4k res projector and want 4k upscaling from the S790.
2. Need two HDMI outputs (one HDMI to connect to a old HDMI receiver that can not decode HD audio and one HDMI to a TV).
3. 3D playback.
4. SACD playback (SACD is dead format).
5. I heard that it has good dvd upscaling (but it only benefits for people that have at least a 50" tv).
In my opinion most people do not need the the S790 unless they have a high end setup.

Please do not purchase the Sony BDP-S790, because it will be wasted money for you and the features that you wrote are in entry level blu-ray players. There are some excellent blu-ray players in the $100 to $150, like the LG BP620 and the Sony BDP-S590. According to Consumer Reports, they ranked the LG BP620 as the best blu-ray player over the Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #3

Oct 2008

What about the LG BP220? I found it on sale for $80. Does not do HD Master Audio but my receiver does HD Master Audio decoding so I should still get HD Master Audio if that blu-ray player can bitstream audio. I don't need wi-fi or 3D that's why I was considering the LG BP220.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

Jan 2012
Default lg bp220

i own the lg bp220 and will be replacing it soon, it has great picture quality,easy to use menus and the best upconversion i ever seen
but it locks up every day
sometimes twice a day and requires unplugging to get it to work again
problem has become worse since i updated the firmware
i use it only to play disc no streaming
it even freezes up when no disc is in the machine
the amazon reviews tell me this a common problem
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 AM   #5

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vor4 View Post

The only reasons for people who want the Sony BDP-S790 are:
1. They have a 4k res projector and want 4k upscaling from the S790.
2. Need two HDMI outputs (one HDMI to connect to a old HDMI receiver that can not decode HD audio and one HDMI to a TV).
3. 3D playback.
4. SACD playback (SACD is dead format).
5. I heard that it has good dvd upscaling (but it only benefits for people that have at least a 50" tv).
In my opinion most people do not need the the S790 unless they have a high end setup.
I'm trying to decide on the 790 vs 590, and based on my research, the most substantive difference between the 790 and 590 (and even 390) is the dual core processor which will significantly increase load times. Also, if you own an A/V receiver that does not support 3D but have a 3D TV, then you'll need a BD player with dual HDMI out; 790 is one of the few, if only sub $300 units to have that.

As for the 4k scaling, my understanding is that most, if not all 4k displays will do that for you.

What could be a significant difference, but I'm not sure, is that the 790 does 16 Bit video processing; I think 12 bit is the norm. I'm not sure if the difference is actually noticeable.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #6

Oct 2008

I have the 790 an its night an day between the ps3 an the 790 just my 2 cents id go with the Sony you wont be disappointed just look at the reviews for the 790 like buying an oppo for half the price
Old 11-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

Nov 2010

What about the 590 or even 390? Are they equal to the 790 in load time/PQ? I understand you get more features with the 790...but I'm not sure I need them.
Good Show!
Old 11-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boob-Ray View Post
What about the 590 or even 390? Are they equal to the 790 in load time/PQ? I understand you get more features with the 790...but I'm not sure I need them.
I just got the 790 and it is FAST, really really FAST. Faster even than the PS3, absolutely worth it for that reason alone. I got is for $200 from amazon last week. To be fair, I have never tried the two lower versions, but I think itís safe to assume that the 790 is faster due to the dual processors. Highly recommended. Also, if you want a great Hulu and Netflix interface why not try apple TV, thatís what I use. It is far superior to using a blu ray player or TV to access these features and is only $100. You could get 590 and an apple TV for the same price as the 790.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Banned

Mar 2012
Currently suspended from the ceiling of the moderators rape dungeon.

I picked up a LG BP620 for $94 + $2 shipped direct from Amazon last weekend. Hard to beat that deal, been quite pleased with it so far.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #10

Nov 2010

Thanks. I imagine the dual core won't hurt it!

I'm replacing a fickle-reading Panny DMP-BD85. It'll be my 3rd player in 3 years. Nothing more frustrating than picking up some new criterions to have the panny "not read."

Good Show!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

I have the Panasonic BDT220 - is there a way to turn off that annoying 'No signal. Ensure that..." banner?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders