COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$129.99
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Hercules (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
From The New World: Collection 2 (Blu-ray)
$43.08
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
X-Men and the Wolverine Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$7.98
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Old 11-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #361
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

For some, it probably does ruin the film. But, like I said before, English dubbed releases have the tendency for a foreign film to reach a wider audience. Sure, we have argue that English dubs are horrible but if a foreign film that is released with an English dub is selling 25% more copies and movie fans who had not considered foreign films before are now buying the film because of the English dub, this can only be considered a good thing.

Because, the way I see it, those additional sales from consumers who purchased these films with the English dub, just motivate these companies here in North America to license even more foreign films. I guess, what I'm trying to say here is that, whether we see English dubs as not being very good, they are actually serving a purpose, and that's to introduce new movie fans to these films. I just don't see how this is a bad thing.

If we only wanted serious hardcore movie fans to enjoy these films, then I could see the point in not releasing a film with an English dub. But, what we should be doing, as fans of these films, is convincing other consumers to purchase these current releases because that allows these companies to release even more Asian cinema.

I don't know about you guys, but it is never a bad thing when more movie fans are discovering these wonderful films. Ip Man is an excellent film and I'm just waiting to purchase Ip Man 2 (going to head to Best Buy this week to pick it up). But, if it hadn't been for me discovering that Ip Man had an English dub audio track, I would never have purchased it and I would never have come to experience this film. The English audio track simply encouraged me to purchase the film, and that is never a bad thing. The more sales for a title means that more films get licensed.

Besides, I've always enjoyed Donnie Yen's work. I actually enjoyed that film released by Dragon Dynasty, Kill Zone, with Sammo Hung Kam-Bo.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #362
Special Member

Aug 2009

Some of us may consider English dubs of foreign films like full screen cuts of Widescreen films or colorizations of B&W films.

Yes, all those are done to gain audience/customers but, at what cost artistically?

Some customers refuse to; read subtitles, watch B&W films or have those black bars on the top & bottom of their 4:3 CRT TVs. Many film fans think adding color ruins the directors intent, shadows, etc. Dubbing substitutes the actors' performance with that of completely different actors. Cropping removes information & completely changes the director's composition.

Yet, the arguments for more customers obviously prevailed as these (terrible, IMO) modifications have certainly been made. Much more common with DVDs than with BDs.

There exists a company that actually edits out the “objectionable” bits from films to make them “Family Friendly!” <GRIN>
Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #363
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Just received my copy of Ip Man 2 on Blu-ray and I enjoyed watching it with its English audio track. Awesome. I'll be posting my positive review on this wonderful English audio track.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #364
Blu-ray Prince

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->85 SteelBooks™/MetalPaks--------->118

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America