Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Agent Carter: The Complete Fir… $25.19 (41% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Essential Holiday Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Godfather Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-11-2016, 03:54 AM   #1741
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-21 View Post
Wasn't the spider walk scene in the extended cut touched up/enhanced with CGI? Was the reason that scene wasn't originally featured in the theatrical cut because it was not finished or perhaps wasn't convincing enough to use the first time around due tech or budgetary reasons?
In his memoir, Friedkin says the only reason he didn't include it in the theatrical cut was because they couldn't conceal the thin wires that supported the stunt double at the time. They were able to remove it with CGI when they put together the extended cut.
Thanks given by:
Blu-21 (07-12-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 AM   #1742
Special Member

Sep 2012
Sydney Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post
In his memoir, Friedkin says the only reason he didn't include it in the theatrical cut was because they couldn't conceal the thin wires that supported the stunt double at the time. They were able to remove it with CGI when they put together the extended cut.
SO why didn't they use CGI to remove the wires that lifted up Linda Blair off the bed, if they used CGI to remove the wires in the spider walk scene?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:35 AM   #1743
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateralspin View Post
SO why didn't they use CGI to remove the wires that lifted up Linda Blair off the bed, if they used CGI to remove the wires in the spider walk scene?
Maybe because the spider walk was originally a deleted scene, and could be altered separately from the theatrical version. I didn't notice any wires when Regan was levitated off the bed, besides I wasn't looking for flaws in the movie either.

Last edited by slimdude; 07-11-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #1744
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlock View Post
I remember seeing the Extended "Version You Never Saw" cut in theaters and vividly remember that phone moment being so loud and it definitely startled the audience. Personally, that was a moment that made me realize how much I didn't like the remix - that moment especially was just way overdone and over the top and would have been more suitable for a scene with a black cat jumping out of a cupboard. Plus, most of the added scenes distracted from the pacing and the cheesy CGI shadows on the wall were laughable (although aren't they removed now from the latest final extended version?)
The scene that really stood out for me in the remix was when Damien sees his mother in Regan's bedroom near the end. Originally, it was virtually silent, but in the remix, there's a cacophony of hospital noises that's absurdly on-the-nose and distracting. I greatly prefer the more austere feel the silence created in the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky87 View Post
According to the '98 interviews with Friedkin and Blatty (which are on the Blu-ray), he felt he couldn't find a way to end the scene properly. Both men agree that it would have been a double- or even triple-climax. To be honest, I still think that's one of its problems, compounded by the awkward editing, and the silly-looking digital blood.

Last edited by BNex99; 07-11-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #1745
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
The theatrical version of The Exorcist always will be the best, and the most preferred version.
To you maybe, not for me!
I've always said if it's a film I really like, give me more of it. Thankfully I'm not someone that is bothered by "pacing issues".
Old 07-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #1746
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's sacri-licious to say so but I like the remix on the extended cut, something as simple as a phone ringing off-screen becomes a surprisingly scary thing.
Don't get my wrong the mix itself sounds great qualitywise, the fidelity is better than the theatrical cut's mix but I think the sound engineers who worked on it over did it a bit. It's far too cluttered and noisy imo.
Normal is boring
Old 07-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #1747

Feb 2014
The Ruins of the Ex-EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
I've always said if it's a film I really like, give me more of it. Thankfully I'm not someone that is bothered by "pacing issues".
I'm more bothered by 'terrible, half-baked CGI' issues.
Thanks given by:
happydood (07-27-2016), Rockercub (07-11-2016)
Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #1748
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickah88 View Post
The pacing wasn't the issue! The spider walk scene was corny. No wonder why William Friedkin edited it from the theatrical version, and left it on the cutting room floor. Whenever a director edit scenes of a movie from the theatrical release, there is a reason. A longer movie doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. Sometime it can be a lot worse!
Old 07-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #1749
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD

Quote:
The pacing wasn't the issue! The spider walk scene was corny. No wonder why William Friedkin edited it from the theatrical version, and left it on the cutting room floor. Whenever a director edit scenes of a movie from the theatrical release, there is a reason. A longer movie doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be better. Sometime it can be a lot worse!
Again, not for me.
If I like a film, I would rather all scenes be included either as an extended edition, or as extras, so I can decide if I don't want them included.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #1750
Power Member

Feb 2011

I always get a giddy thrill parsing different versions of the same film (The Exorcist included). I suspect this is one of the reasons I was at least okay with the special editions of a certain space opera for so long -- new stuff! And let's not talk about how many times I've purchased Oliver Stone's Alexander.

In this case, while I enjoy much of the added material, I agree with an earlier poster who pointed out that it's the addition of extra little touches (over and above deleted scenes) that puts me firmly in the theatrical camp. Otherwise I'd probably alternate between the two, because I love Karras listening to the recording of Regan, along with the extra Merrin biz at the MacNeil home (Maximum Von Sydow, biotch!), like the doctor's office stuff and the new opening shots, and am okay with Sharon's earphones and the staircase conversation. It's the extra flourishes that bother me.

Of course there's the CGI BS and the rather over-the-top spider walk, but also, that recurring and generic piece of music that is meant to act as a cue to the viewer (now feel UNEASE!) but ends up being a bit...condescending? Especially for those of us who've been watching and enjoying the theatrical cut for so long.

Between this and Wrath of Khan and Aliens and JFK, I feel like a bit of a broken record around here, but I've got to echo comments about the pacing issue. The theatrical cut has some of the best examples of elliptical editing I've ever seen, and the loss (or alteration) of these does hurt the movie.

I'm thinking specifically of the decision to leave Chris's "just like the doctor said" comment hang there, the omission of the staircase conversation, the cut from Chris crying about Burke directly to Regan's hypnosis -- this just makes for a leaner, more intelligent rendering of the story. For me, if a movie like The Exorcist is going to work, it needs to be commanding, intelligent and authoritative. It needs to have the confidence to know what the viewer does/does not need to see, and crucially, what's going to undermine the reality of the scenario.

Seventies Friedkin was a master when it came to this type of storytelling -- as we also see in The French Connection and Sorcerer. He wielded a scalpel ruthlessly in the cutting room. Which makes it twice as funny (or tragic?) to listen to his commentary tracks, when he feels compelled to just explain what's happening on screen.
Thanks given by:
BNex99 (07-11-2016), Mr. Thomsen (07-11-2016), OI8T12 (07-11-2016), The Fallen Deity (07-11-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #1751

Mar 2016

Im finally deciding to buy this bluray, but I wanna make sure this is what I want. So much to read here. In short, does the 40th come with the green tint? Has there been anything altered in the theatrical version? Is the 5.1 audio been tampered with? I wished it came with the original lossless audio.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #1752

Aug 2013

Why don't they simply release a 4k version since they went to that trouble. There's no reason to release another Bluray. I also agree with posts made that they should concentrate on films never released then to rehash good ones already done properly.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 AM   #1753
Special Member

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

I think pacing is a substantial issue in the extended cut. The opening now has the pointless inclusion of those sinister shots of the house and the soon-to-be-defiled statue right before titles that preciously announced the blunt, shocking style that was about to assail you.

And don't get me started on the new superimposed faces on the vent and in the window at the end. Completely graceless. Oh and the subtly, sinister tones that now accompany the first Kinderman/Karras scene. Because I'm an idiot that needs to be reminded that they're talking about something sinister and I was never quite able to just listen to them and get the same point.

Thank goodness the theatrical cut is available.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 AM   #1754
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
The middle of nowhere, USA

I recently bought the UK 40th anniversary version. Good price. Haven't watched it yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exorcist-40...words=exorcist
So many blurays, so little time.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #1755
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
According to the '98 interviews with Friedkin and Blatty (which are on the Blu-ray), he felt he couldn't find a way to end the scene properly. Both men agree that it would have been a double- or even triple-climax. To be honest, I still think that's one of its problems, compounded by the awkward editing, and the silly-looking digital blood.
If you ever watched those HD featurettes, they actually show the raw dailies of that version of the Spider Walk scene in one of them and its clearly real blood that comes out of that lady's mouth.

I do prefer the other version where Linda Blair's tongue acts rather lizard-like as she chases after Sharon though.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #1756
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmet otter View Post
Im finally deciding to buy this bluray, but I wanna make sure this is what I want. So much to read here. In short, does the 40th come with the green tint? Has there been anything altered in the theatrical version? Is the 5.1 audio been tampered with? I wished it came with the original lossless audio.
The two "movie" discs in the 40th Anniversary release are the exact same discs that were in the original digibook release and in the Exorcist Anthology set. Same video/audio/extras. The 40th Anniversary edition also contains a third disc with a couple extra featurettes.

The "Extended Director's Cut" is basically the "Version You've Never Seen" from 2000, except for the removal of the Pazuzu statue superimposed over Regan's door in one scene, different WB logo, and an extra card of restoration credits at the end. I think the audio is essentially the Dolby EX/DTS ES remix used for the 2000 release.

The "Theatrical Version" is just that, aside from the different WB logo restoration credits card, and the slight morphing effect on Damien near the end (which has been there since the 25th Anniversary DVD). The exorcism scenes have a slight, bluish tint to them, though not as severe as in the extended version. I have no idea if the original prints looked like that, but it's not too distracting to me. The 5.1 audio on the theatrical version seems to be based on the original mono, but with the music and effects expanded slightly into the surrounds. It doesn't sound particularly revisionist.

Hope all that helps!
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #1757
Expert Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasmaskAvenger View Post
If you ever watched those HD featurettes, they actually show the raw dailies of that version of the Spider Walk scene in one of them and its clearly real blood that comes out of that lady's mouth.

I do prefer the other version where Linda Blair's tongue acts rather lizard-like as she chases after Sharon though.
I stand corrected, but I still think it's silly-looking.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #1758
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Quote:
I don't mind the spider-walk itself. It's the blood at the end of the scene that puts it over-the-top and makes it unnecessary. I think it would have been more effective without the blood honestly.

As is often the case with special editions or director's cuts, I think the ideal version lies in between the theatrical and director's cuts. I like a couple of the additional scenes in the director's cut but I hate some of the needless visual additions.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #1759
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Caithness, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNex99 View Post
The two "movie" discs in the 40th Anniversary release are the exact same discs that were in the original digibook release and in the Exorcist Anthology set. Same video/audio/extras. The 40th Anniversary edition also contains a third disc with a couple extra featurettes.

The "Extended Director's Cut" is basically the "Version You've Never Seen" from 2000, except for the removal of the Pazuzu statue superimposed over Regan's door in one scene, different WB logo, and an extra card of restoration credits at the end. I think the audio is essentially the Dolby EX/DTS ES remix used for the 2000 release.

The "Theatrical Version" is just that, aside from the different WB logo restoration credits card, and the slight morphing effect on Damien near the end (which has been there since the 25th Anniversary DVD). The exorcism scenes have a slight, bluish tint to them, though not as severe as in the extended version. I have no idea if the original prints looked like that, but it's not too distracting to me. The 5.1 audio on the theatrical version seems to be based on the original mono, but with the music and effects expanded slightly into the surrounds. It doesn't sound particularly revisionist.

Hope all that helps!
The colour timing is exactly the same in those scenes in the theatrical cut on the BD. In fact the whole disc is colour timed exactly the same as the extended cut.
Normal is boring

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 07-27-2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #1760
Special Member

Sep 2011
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
I don't mind the spider-walk itself. It's the blood at the end of the scene that puts it over-the-top and makes it unnecessary. I think it would have been more effective without the blood honestly.

As is often the case with special editions or director's cuts, I think the ideal version lies in between the theatrical and director's cuts. I like a couple of the additional scenes in the director's cut but I hate some of the needless visual additions.
I like the scene on the stairs. If feels like a much-needed respite instead of an interference to the rhythm of the movie. The others are interesting to see as deleted scenes, but I don't want to see them in any cut I watch.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America