Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Flash: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Legend of Tarzan 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM   #3041
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
US of A

I'm doing a rewatch of the LOTR EEs with the Jackson/Walsh/Boyens commentaries, it's taking some time simply because I keep dozing off (I've seen these movies too many times...) but I am gaining an appreciation for some of the content added to the EE. I still think most of it is extraneous and I don't miss any of it, but FOTR and TT do play better than I remember in the EE, the former with fleshing out the backstory of Middle-Earth (and incidentally tying into The Hobbit) and the latter with fleshing out Faramir, Theoden, and Gollum/Smeagol a bit more. I'm halfway through ROTK and so far I maintain the EE of that movie is a disaster, even the Saruman scene, but on the whole I don't dislike the EEs as much as I used to.

The Hobbit EEs, on the other hand, are essential.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-28-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 PM   #3042
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
I'm doing a rewatch of the LOTR EEs with the Jackson/Walsh/Boyens commentaries, it's taking some time simply because I keep dozing off (I've seen these movies too many times...) but I am gaining an appreciation for some of the content added to the EE. I still think most of it is extraneous and I don't miss any of it, but FOTR and TT do play better than I remember in the EE, the former with fleshing out the backstory of Middle-Earth (and incidentally tying into The Hobbit) and the latter with fleshing out Faramir, Theoden, and Gollum/Smeagol a bit more. I'm halfway through ROTK and so far I maintain the EE of that movie is a disaster, even the Saruman scene, but on the whole I don't dislike the EEs as much as I used to.

The Hobbit EEs, on the other hand, are essential.
I think you got the assessment backwards IMO the LOTR EEs add so much to the storyline, whereas the Hobbit EEs add little, if anything, to the plot. In some cases, the Hobbit EE scenes are just goofiness that belonged on the cutting room floor. But just my two cents. I love all 6 movies (or at least the first 5; the Battle of the Five Armies was watchable...)
Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #3043

Dec 2015

Amazon.ca has the The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Limited-Edition (Extended Edition) [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + UltraViolet] with the statue on sale for about 25 USD today...
“They knead their own flesh into daily bread, and transmute their contrite hearts into basins of gruel."
Old 01-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #3044
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia
Wal-Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpielbergFreak View Post
Are these the same?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ho...lu-ray/145824/
It states that it's the extended 3D version, 5-disc, also it says 182 min.
For what google translate can help me with, it also looks like in Amazon Japan that it's the extended 3D version.

But.... what's this then?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ho...Blu-ray/80647/
It also says extended 3D version, but 166min:-/ and 6 discs, but more expensive....
Also from Amazon Japan I seem to translate it to, it gives me the same information as number 1. But why is it more expensive then?

Can anyone tell me what the difference is? Does anyone own them? live pics please. And are they region free?

Information and help with this mystery is much appreciated
Since these listings are in Japanese is hard to tell what exactly they are, both seem to be Xtended. and the 166 figure a typo? You could try asking members jayhsong and easydreamer who put the info on the listings.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #3045
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
US of A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhage01 View Post
I think you got the assessment backwards IMO the LOTR EEs add so much to the storyline, whereas the Hobbit EEs add little, if anything, to the plot. In some cases, the Hobbit EE scenes are just goofiness that belonged on the cutting room floor. But just my two cents. I love all 6 movies (or at least the first 5; the Battle of the Five Armies was watchable...)

LOTR's theatrical cuts are too perfectly paced, they have just the right amount of story and character to keep things moving along while getting you to actually care about the characters. They are perfect, and I don't use that word lightly. That's why I'm not too keen on the EEs; some of the stuff is good but most of it just bogs the movies down.

The Hobbit TCs feel like an imperfect middle ground between Jackson wanting to adapt the book as it is, and Jackson wanting to use the book as a framework for a larger Middle Earth story by incorporating the Appendices (and some fan fiction ); the EEs for The Hobbit do a better job of telling that latter story.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac | 2016 Movie Rankings |
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (01-28-2016), JackKnightStarman (01-27-2016), Paul H (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #3046

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Why is this thread stickied?
We can be us, just for one day.
iScottie's Storefront
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #3047
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
Why is this thread stickied?
I was here to ask the same thing
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 PM   #3048

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Since these listings are in Japanese is hard to tell what exactly they are, both seem to be Xtended. and the 166 figure a typo? You could try asking members jayhsong and easydreamer who put the info on the listings.
cheers :-)
Picture: Optoma HD33 3D projector + 92" screen
Player: Denon DBP-2012UD
Receiver: Denon AVR 1312
Speakers: 5.1 Argon setup
Apple TV 3
Music: Rega Turnable
Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM   #3049
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2010
Miami, FL

This was just $7.82 for a few hours on Amazon and it went back up to $19.99. I dunno what was up with that but I got a copy
"GIVE THEM NOTHING! BUT, TAKE FROM THEM... EVERYTHING!"
Old 05-24-2016, 06:33 PM   #3050
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
This was just $7.82 for a few hours on Amazon and it went back up to $19.99. I dunno what was up with that but I got a copy
Probably had some excess stock they were trying to clear.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:26 AM   #3051
Expert Member

Jan 2015
Flower Mound, TX

Yeah, I jumped all over it. Sometimes, checking the prices a few times a day pays off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
My Criterion Collection.

"It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen."-Oliver Wendell Holmes

The Blu-ray.com classic film project. I am embellishing the bios of several film legends, and adding in profiles for classic films that are missing from our database. If you see a missing film that merits inclusion, please message me, and I will get it added.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:32 AM   #3052

Oct 2011

I bought this from Walmart recently for store pickup. It did not come with the advertised uv code slip. I complained to them and eventually got a second copy. It also did not have a code slip. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Warner Brothers seems to be unwilling to give out codes, only will put it in your flixster account.
Check out the rest of my sale thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=234644
Willing to negotiate prices. Feel free to make an offer on anything!
Old 07-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #3053
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoozen View Post
I bought this from Walmart recently for store pickup. It did not come with the advertised uv code slip. I complained to them and eventually got a second copy. It also did not have a code slip. Has anyone else had an issue with this? Warner Brothers seems to be unwilling to give out codes, only will put it in your flixster account.
Did it say digital included on the front? They might have cut that from second printings.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #3054

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Did it say digital included on the front? They might have cut that from second printings.
Both copies had the regular stuff on it saying "Digital HD" on front and back.
Check out the rest of my sale thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=234644
Willing to negotiate prices. Feel free to make an offer on anything!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
hobbit