Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
17 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
12 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #21

May 2011
Seoul, Korea

I haven't even plugged in my XB360 since 2010(?).
My PS3 sits on top of my BR player, getting unused. I played some great games, but I hate spending $60 these days for games that ultimately don't impress me enough to warrant purchase price.

Especially stuff like the Battlefield, MoH and/or CoD series. You play for two months - which is basically a patched up rehash of the previous title, but with new and more interesting/frustrating bugs and glitches - and then the new title comes out and online gaming is an empty desert while everyone flies to the "new and exciting new release".
Single player is barely a side note for these titles now, too.

I don't like the idea that they want to prevent pre-owned purchases, and emphasizing the need to download everything. Heck, part of the appeal to previous-gen systems compared to PC was that the game would be released and THAT'S IT. No hardware issues, bugs were not so bad it made the game unplayable. Now you HAVE to have internet connection and pay extra money for an online account each month for games you're already paying too much for. On top of that, you have to download patches ALL THE TIME, because games are so complicated to produce, and release deadlines are so stringent that they need to "get it on the shelves", devil-be-damned if it's working right!

The argument of PC Vs. Console years ago has become less justified.

As for graphics... I like PC games, and with the ability to constantly upgrade particular components, you can have a gaming rig - and graphics presentation -that you can budget for and even with a LOW END system these days it blows the look of consoles out of the water.

Even with the new generation systems coming out, I don't see how it's even comparable to what PCs have to offer. And with all the other restrictions, I might as well just stick with my PC.

So, no, I don't think I'm going to buy a next-gen console. If I do, it will only be after a year or more and I think there are enough games for me to want to play to justify purchasing one.
TV - Panasonic TCP65ST50
Bluray - Panasonic DMP BDT500
Receiver - Cambridge Audio Azur 551r
7.1 surroundsound - Definitive Technology
L/R - SM55; Center - 8060HD; surrounds - SM45s
PC: i7 3930k @ 4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, GTX 780s in SLI, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 6TB of 7200 rpm HDDs
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by josuv22 View Post
I agree this has become a very dull generation. It boring getting the same few games every year. if the new systems are just going to be the same but slightly better graphics why bother.

the n64/playstation/saturn was one of the best years to be a console gamer.

lots of greats games in all genres.

on the side note the idiot that is Michael patcher now says

"PS4 visual difference to be barely discernible from PS3"
"UK video games market is a 'joke' and "Wii U a mistake Nintendo may never recover"
Agreed! Even though I grew up in the 80's on the 2600, NES, Colecovison and onto the Genesis & SNES... I think the mid 90's with the PSX/Saturn/N64 were the best years of my gaming life. Dreamcast & PS2 eras were good too. With all this technology... this generation has become so stale & boring the last few years.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
Banned

Feb 2012

I'm with you on CoD. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means as I don't enjoy playing for long periods of time, so its a bit of an afterthought to me when I pick up a controller. I enjoy the Black Ops series and I usually like to play through a few times on single player before going into multiplayer mode as I know I will have my backside fried and handed to me on a bullet ridden platter. The campaign for the second game was rehashed garbage and I didn't enjoy it enough to complete it. You are quite correct that more thought is put into multiplayer and I know in my case it alienates me. I don't always want to play with others nor do I want to pay for the privilege to be cursed at by some script kiddie.

When the mood strikes me to buy a video game, I will sometimes buy preowned as the titles older and I don't care about not being in the hype of multiplayer so I will go for dirt cheap and if it takes a few weeks to finish I don't care. If they do away with preowned, I'm sure the prices will still drop on bigger titles (they always do) so the way I game will still be okay on that front. I feel bad for those that will be hurt by changes. It seems they want to cut deeper into an already bleeding market.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009

I see latest rumors say ps3 will launch in November for 430 US basic bundle and 530 US for premium bundles.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the...ith-your-phone

I have to say the pricing sounds right and Sony products are never cheap. and if the spec's are similar to the new xbox they both prob lend up being around 430 mark.

I would guess that the 530 bundle would likely include 1 yr premium account to PSN
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 AM   #25
Special Member

Jul 2010
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit29 View Post
agreed! Even though i grew up in the 80's on the 2600, nes, colecovison and onto the genesis & snes... i think the mid 90's with the psx/saturn/n64 were the best years of my gaming life. dreamcast & ps2 eras were good too. With all this technology... This generation has become so stale & boring the last few years.
+1,212,140

The pattern for me has been to wait for the "Slim" version and bite at the cheaper price with lighter design.

By that time Sony would have been able to appease their typical gamer crowds with shooters/zombie games/maddens etc and maybe we will get some unique titles there after.

Either way, not impress yet. Im going to be hugging my PS3 just a tad closer. Hell, Im hoping we get a decent price cut for the Vita so I can play some older PS1 titles.

Hey Sony, your doing it backwards!
Panasonic 65" VT60 || Panasonic BDT220 || Onkyo TX-NR509 || Pioneer SP-PK52FS Andrew Jones 5.1 || Roku 3 || Logitech Harmony 700

Last edited by Ace_BB6; 02-26-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #26

Feb 2012

I'd be more excited about the next generation if I wasn't already playing nex gen games on my PC. It's all about exclusives at this point, to which Sony and Nintendo take the cake.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #27

Feb 2013
Portland, OR

Depends on what MS shows with their new console. i'll end up with both eventually, but i'm seriously debating with myself to go back to PC gaming.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #28
Banned

Feb 2013

Me!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #29

Mar 2013

Defo!!!

I think we've really reached the point with the 360 and PS3 where the consoles are struggling to run the games that are being released..
Old 03-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009

lol the imbecile michael pachter now says we will be getting $70 games and he expects to PS4 and next Xbox sell almost 100 million each ( well he says 20 million more than last gen) He now gone from say the PS4 visual difference to be barely discernible from PS3 to the PS4 having phenomenal graphics.

and Despite him saying the ps3/360 being the final generation of consoles because they is no money to made off it and publisher dont any more generations. the PS4 will now be the final generation.

Have to wander how he still has a job he is wrong 99.9% of time he speaks about videogames.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #31
Special Member

Feb 2013
I live where you vacation

not me, I think my next console will be PC gaming, the PS4 hasn't really impressed me much, but if the Steam boxes are as expensive as the unofficial one $1000 I might just buy a PS4, definitely not upgrading this year or the next though. I have enough backlog and still have not gotten all games I want for the PS3 that I can still game for at least 3 more years.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion