Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$49.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Lost After Dark (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Home Alone Ultimate Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Scorpion: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$39.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #861
tylergfoster tylergfoster is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
tylergfoster's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Seattle, WA
681
569
461
5
121
Default

TC: theatrical cut.

The alternate ending is reportedly closer to the ending of the book and the ending of the screenplay that got the film greenlit, so it is indeed the theatrical ending that is less "original" in the sense of "first." I could be misremembering what Affleck says on his commentary for it, but he basically says he changed it for commercial reasons.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #862
Early Memphis Early Memphis is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
718
118
3
122
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
TC: theatrical cut.

The alternate ending is reportedly closer to the ending of the book and the ending of the screenplay that got the film greenlit, so it is indeed the theatrical ending that is less "original" in the sense of "first." I could be misremembering what Affleck says on his commentary for it, but he basically says he changed it for commercial reasons.
Thanks, tyler. I remember hearing that there was a commentary track explanation (but I never listen to commentary tracks, so ... ). Anyway, I've got the DigiBook (the best choice) and have seen both versions - and, for the reasons I gave before, hate the "alternate/original (?)" ending - but it's good that it's available as a branching choice as many prefer it and thus we can each "choose our poison" as they say.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #863
AgentOrange AgentOrange is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
965
29
3
10
Default

Anyone having problems playing this with the Sony BDP-5200 (or Sony player in general)? It just freezes on the loading screen, unfortunately I don't have my PS3 with me to check an alternate player.

I had an issue with THX-1138 basically doing the same thing.

Both are Warner discs from 2010. Hmm.

Wonder if it's the player, or discs. In just a few months I've already caught up with how many unplayable films I had in 5 years on my old Panasonic (although the Sony is a far more capable player overall, seems like it might be something with the Warner discs though).

Last edited by AgentOrange; 08-21-2014 at 02:09 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #864
Paul.R.S Paul.R.S is offline
Power Member
 
Paul.R.S's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Hollywood, California
127
44
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Anyone having problems playing this with the Sony BDP-5200 (or Sony player in general)? It just freezes on the loading screen, unfortunately I don't have my PS3 with me to check an alternate player.

I had an issue with THX-1138 basically doing the same thing.

Both are Warner discs from 2010. Hmm.

Wonder if it's the player, or discs. In just a few months I've already caught up with how many unplayable films I had in 5 years on my old Panasonic (although the Sony is a far more capable player overall, seems like it might be something with the Warner discs though).
This may not be the source of the problem at all but try inserting a USB memory drive. I sure would like to have thought Sony resolved this quirk/issue from years ago when I got a BDP-S470 (a 2010 model) but that player would not load Starship Troopers (a Sony title, natch) unless a thumb drive was inserted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #865
AgentOrange AgentOrange is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2011
965
29
3
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
This may not be the source of the problem at all but try inserting a USB memory drive. I sure would like to have thought Sony resolved this quirk/issue from years ago when I got a BDP-S470 (a 2010 model) but that player would not load Starship Troopers (a Sony title, natch) unless a thumb drive was inserted.
It ends up playing if I power down the player, and leave the disc in the tray.

For whatever reason, if I insert the disc, the "auto-play" doesn't play nice with the loading of this disc (completely freezes my player and requires me to cut the power). But if I just leave the disc in the tray when I reboot the player, then manually select the disc from the menu, it boots up normally without hesitation.

I'll have disable autoplay and see if the same workaround goes for THX 1138, obviously I don't want to do hard resets all the time just to reach the main menu.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #866
Paul.R.S Paul.R.S is offline
Power Member
 
Paul.R.S's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
Hollywood, California
127
44
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
It ends up playing if I power down the player, and leave the disc in the tray.

For whatever reason, if I insert the disc, the "auto-play" doesn't play nice with the loading of this disc (completely freezes my player and requires me to cut the power). But if I just leave the disc in the tray when I reboot the player, then manually select the disc from the menu, it boots up normally without hesitation.

I'll have disable autoplay and see if the same workaround goes for THX 1138, obviously I don't want to do hard resets all the time just to reach the main menu.
(Also, turn off BD-Live access if it is not already.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:05 AM   #867
imsounoriginal imsounoriginal is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
imsounoriginal's Avatar
 
Dec 2008
101
2
Default

Question - is the Steelbook supposed to have the Extended Cut?

I just bought the Steelbook at Best Buy because it was $7.99, and the J-card only mentions the R-rated theatrical cut with two bonus features. But the disc inside clearly says it includes the extended cut, which I assume means this is the disc found in the 2-disc standard amaray edition with both cuts and all the bonus features. Just looking for some clarification, thanks in advance.
Top 25 | Aliens | Amadeus | Annie Hall | Casablanca | Chinatown | The Dark Knight | Days of Thunder | Die Hard | Drive | Fargo | The Fugitive | The Godfather, Part II | Goldfinger | Goodfellas | Lawrence of Arabia | The Lord of the Rings | Psycho | Pulp Fiction | Raiders of the Lost Ark | The Shining | The Silence of the Lambs | Star Wars | The Sting | Unforgiven | Zodiac |

2015 list
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #868
Lincoln6Echo Lincoln6Echo is offline
Special Member
 
Lincoln6Echo's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
4
594
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Question - is the Steelbook supposed to have the Extended Cut?

I just bought the Steelbook at Best Buy because it was $7.99, and the J-card only mentions the R-rated theatrical cut with two bonus features. But the disc inside clearly says it includes the extended cut, which I assume means this is the disc found in the 2-disc standard amaray edition with both cuts and all the bonus features. Just looking for some clarification, thanks in advance.
If it says Extended Cut, then it has it. But also because it's the standard edition, both cuts are on the same disc, but not via seamless branching, so in essence, there are two full cuts on the same disc causing bit rate fluctuations, while the more expensive 3-disc set includes the extended cut w/ alt ending on a disc to itself.
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:01 PM   #869
Batmon77 Batmon77 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Batmon77's Avatar
 
Oct 2011
293
Default

Is there a Theatrical Cut Digital Copy?

The HD I own is from the Collectors set and its the Extended.

It never bothered me before but him telling her about his mother twice kinda annoyed me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 PM   #870
Lincoln6Echo Lincoln6Echo is offline
Special Member
 
Lincoln6Echo's Avatar
 
Sep 2009
4
594
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Is there a Theatrical Cut Digital Copy?

The HD I own is from the Collectors set and its the Extended.

It never bothered me before but him telling her about his mother twice kinda annoyed me.
I just assumed that that second time was kinda meant as a joke...not any kind of editing error.

Well, I don't know about the digital copy, but the three discs in the Deluxe Edition are as follows:

Disc 1: BD of the Extended Cut w/ Alt. Ending.
Disc 2: BD of the Extended Cut and Theatrical Cut via branching, I assume.
Disc 3: DVD of the Extended Cut w/ Alt. Ending.
"In Brightest Day, In Darkest Night, No Evil Shall Escape My Sight, Let Those Who Worship Evil's Might, Beware My Power...Green Lantern's Light!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:30 PM.