Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
4 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
10 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (After You've Seen It!)
One Star 0 0%
Two Stars 4 11.76%
Three Stars 4 11.76%
Four Stars 19 55.88%
Five Stars 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #81
Blu-ray Count

May 2011
Texas

Did anybody else catch the visual reference to Noah's Ark?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:18 AM   #82
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Just rented this. Pretty fair film and I sure wish Turbo made more money than The Croods - why did this film make so much money? Was it because there was no other kid's film to see for weeks?

The animation was real crude and I couldnt get used to their squishes down faces - it was like watching a movie with the wide zoom mode turned on.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #83
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Just rented this. Pretty fair film and I sure wish Turbo made more money than The Croods - why did this film make so much money? Was it because there was no other kid's film to see for weeks?

The animation was real crude and I couldnt get used to their squishes down faces - it was like watching a movie with the wide zoom mode turned on.
The animation was crude? I thought it was very fluid and beautifully done. Now, if you're talking about the human character designs, I definitely agree, as they were one of my main complaints with the film. Although, I admit that the designs have grown on me. (Though that still doesn't make them good.)

I really would have loved to see Chris Sanders' human character designs come to life. Such a waste having him direct the film without his designs being used. His creature designs obviously translated really well into CG; I'm sure his human designs would have too. And they would have been much easier on the eyes.

As for why it made so much money, it probably did have a lot to do with being the only animated family film at the time. Though I thought it was quite a charming film (i.e. I loved it), so I'd like to argue that it charmed its way up to its high box office gross.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #84
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Belgium

For me the character design for The Croods was one of the best parts. Much like "UP" was for Pixar, this wasn't the more or less predictable Dreamworks look. I'm glad when they do something out of the box like this. The continuation of this style was noticeable in the big lines and the little details. And ... the way I see it, there's something cavemen-ish about it, that was the whole point. Much like the Disney Classic "Hercules", where the style was full of Greek influences. Perfect choice.
[Wanted Slipcovers US] Cinderella - The Great Mouse Detective - Pete's Dragon - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Atlantis - Robin Hood - Oliver & Co - Sword in the Stone - Peter Pan - Atlantis - Chicken Little (3D) - Mulan - Lilo & Stitch - Bolt (3D) - Brave (2D) - Monsters University (2D) - Frankenweenie (3D) - James and the Giant Peach
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM   #85
Special Member

Aug 2009

I do agree that the character design isn't "pretty". And because of that, I do admit that I wasn't interested in this animation at first. But this wouldn't work if any of the characters were "attractive" They are CAVEMAN. They are not human - homo sapiens. They are not supposed to look like typical pretty "human" characters.

My worry about "ugly" character design was not a factor as soon as the movie started. The animation is Beautiful!!! Most of all, the story and character development were fantastic. It didnt feel like it catered mostly to younger viewers like the Ice Age series. it was smart, funny and had heart. Great family film. Also 3D effects were great. Most pleasant surprise of the year for me, and one of the best movie of the year.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #86
Power Member

Apr 2011

It's true they are not homo sapiens, so perhaps my use of "human" to describe them was incorrect, though I think you catch my drift. I definitely did feel that their "ugly" designs could have had to do with them being cavemen, but then again, Guy didn't have a particularly appealing design either, and I believe he is supposed to be a homo sapien. I believe you can have "ugly," primitive characters and still have the designs be "appealing."

In the end, though, it is just a personal gripe. And I may be especially biased because I love Chris Sanders' designs.

But my opinion on the designs doesn't make me any less of a fan. The rest of the film was utterly beautiful in every way. It is definitely DreamWorks' best looking film to date. I had a few minor gripes with the story as well, but overall, it met my high expectations, and it is actually my favorite film so far this year.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies