Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Madden NFL 10 (PS3)
$9.54
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Earth Defense Force 2025 (PS3)
$13.93
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Sonic the Hedgehog (PS3)
$13.39
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES (PS3)
$13.99
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$14.28
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Record of Agarest War 2 (PS3)
$11.66
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (PS3)
$19.99
LittleBigPlanet Karting (PS3)
$18.60
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2007
Pacific NW
Default EA acquires BioWare

Since EA develops games for multiple platforms I thought this might be relevant, especially since Bioware has made games for Xbox and 360.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1192...ws_us_business
Old 10-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

I had Knights of the Old Republic and followed Jade Empire's development quite closely and there's something hollow about their characters.. I just can't care about them so the long conversations are pretty irritating. For those that can or do care, this is probably good news for PS3 owners as MS shouldn't be exclusively publishing any more games after Mass Effect.

Pandemic.. didn't like the first Mercenaries, we'll see about the second if there's a demo again.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #3

Jul 2007
northern virginia

i see this as bad news for the playstation. while ea does produce games for multiple platforms it heavily favors Microsoft. all this means is more crappy ports and hand me downs from 2 more studios instead of the one.

and i'd like to point out that pandemic makes the star wars battlefront games which have all been major hits on the playstation
Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

How many PS3 games would Bioware have made if EA hadn't taken them over? Few/none I'd say. The whole porting to PS3 thing is going to become less and less of an issue as time goes on, as far as EA in-house games are concerned at some point PS3 versions ought to become superior, never to a great extent (look at Xbox games compared to PS2 games). That doesn't apply to developers like Criterion and Bioware who may have the technical expertise to make games far superior on PS3 much sooner.

Last edited by Shin-Ra; 10-12-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #5

Aug 2007

This is good news for Sony because Bioware had a great relationship with Microsoft (Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire were some of the best exclusives on Xbox 1) and Mass Effect looks stunning. The Mass Effect trilogy was going to be exclusive to the 360, but now EA will probably have them port Mass Effect 2 and 3 to the PS3. I'd rather have a bad port than not have the game at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Vegas Baby, Vegas

Can't wait for Mass Effect. Would be nice to see 2+3 on the PS3.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #7

May 2007
New York

This is either really good or really bad news. I LOVE Bioware they are easily my favorite game company. My dilemma is I have and will only have a PS3, no Xbox around like with my PS2. The good news is the one reason I would want an Xbox might come to my PS3. The problem is EA is the shittiest company on the planet releasing tons of garbage (with their name all over it Simpsons for example) just for money, very little quality. So is Bioware going to be destroyed by these greedy people? I truly hope not, but I really want Mass Effect, so hopefully this will work in our favor. It seems that M$ is losing their exclusive studios though, so even if we get a crappy port, at least it is a crappy port to a no longer exclusive Xbox game.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #8

Aug 2007

I know, Microsoft has recently lost three studios. Bioware obviously. Then Bizarre Creations, who made the PGR Series for MGS was aquired by Activision. Then Microsoft shut down FASA Interactive, they aquired FASA a few years ago and it has been a part of MGS ever since. Some think that FASA was shut down because Shadowrun sold poorly.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

May 2007

BioWare was never owned by Microsoft. They had a publishing agreement that's it.

BW made Xbox games because if for no other reason it was easy to port their PC code

FASA was shut down because Shadowrun bombed, and because MS is consolidating their departments

Bungie also still has publishing agreements with MS.

Pandemic did the Destroy All Humans games, and all I'm worried about is that they don't own the franchise, and therefore that old THQ magic will take over and all further games will stink
Old 10-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

It canbe good for Bioware. I hope the best for them. I just hope EA remembers why they're successful in their genre.

It's not the same as sports games where you're better off not releasing the game at all instead of releasing it late...
Old 10-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #11

May 2007
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
BioWare was never owned by Microsoft. They had a publishing agreement that's it.
I think when he and I said lost, we meant the exclusivity of the studio. it would have been nice if LucasArts bought them out. Considering how much they use Pandemic. Do you think that will change?
Old 10-14-2007, 03:49 PM   #12

Oct 2007

Rumor has it that MS wont be making another console. There just sticking with the PC and developing for other consoles.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #13

May 2007
New York

Where did you hear or read that?
Old 10-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #14

Oct 2007

I'm not even sure. Possibly PS Fanboy. But I visit so many forums, I dont have a clue. Its prolly BS.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3