Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
8 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Free Birds (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #801
Expert Member

Mar 2012
South Italy

So which digibook includes the soundtrack CD?
Faster than a bullet from a gun. Closer to Heaven than to Earth.

2K setup: 65" Panasonic VT65, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2, Oppo BDP-103 Region-Free, Jamo E850 fronts, E8CEN centre, E800 surrounds and rear surrounds, E8SUB subwoofer, Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 headphones, Monster Power HTS-2600, 1TB Mediacentre, 500GB PS4, Cyron RGB LEDs. 50" VT30 and 40GB fat PS3 in the lounge.

4K setup to follow...
Old 10-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #802
Expert Member

Mar 2012
South Italy

Anybody?
Faster than a bullet from a gun. Closer to Heaven than to Earth.

2K setup: 65" Panasonic VT65, Onkyo TX-SR608 7.2, Oppo BDP-103 Region-Free, Jamo E850 fronts, E8CEN centre, E800 surrounds and rear surrounds, E8SUB subwoofer, Sony MDR-HW700DS 9.1 headphones, Monster Power HTS-2600, 1TB Mediacentre, 500GB PS4, Cyron RGB LEDs. 50" VT30 and 40GB fat PS3 in the lounge.

4K setup to follow...
Old 10-08-2014, 07:55 PM   #803
Power Member

Jul 2012
ND, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
So which digibook includes the soundtrack CD?

For the US, there was no Digibook release (steelbook at BBY, photocards and bonus DVD at Target). But the 1 disc highlights soundtrack CD was included in a Walmart exclusive amaray package.

Dunno about international releases. If you are a big fan of the film, the 2 disc deluxe OST with all the songs is the way to go.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #804
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I keep on hoping we'd hear/read some new news that the longer cut of the film would get released... sigh... oh well.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #805
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
I keep on hoping we'd hear/read some new news that the longer cut of the film would get released... sigh... oh well.
Longer? Seriously? Theres....a....LONGER cut of this film?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #806
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
Longer? Seriously? Theres....a....LONGER cut of this film?
from Collider.com

Hooper: The director’s cut was about three hours. So I got about an hour out between the assembly and the director’s cut. I got it to about 2:45 and then hit a bit of a wall because there comes a point at which you’ve made a decision about what songs you’re going to keep. What’s fundamentally different about doing this and a normal movie is you can’t take time out anywhere you want like it or not. If you’re editing, say this dialogue that we’re having, you could snip a second out every time I paused, every time you paused take a second out. You could take a sentence of mine out and leave another sentence. You’ve got tremendous control on the pacing of our dialogue that we’re having. If we were singing you can’t just stick your knife in, you can’t take a second out here a second out there a sentence out there because the musical construction falls all over the place. And I realized in the end that the only way I could get it down any more, and I was very committed to getting it down to 2:30, was to try to become more expert at the detail of musical construction so that I could really understand in terms of bars what was possible and what was not possible.

I really thought about it and asked advice from my team and there was a day, in one day on a Sunday I took out twelve minutes in one sitting because I had finally worked out all those musical places where you could cut material out. And a lot of it was hangers to the show, because in a stage show you have to have introduction music to take you in somewhere and exit music to change the set over. And I suddenly started to realize that there was lots of music like that that wasn’t essential to the film that we were hanging on to because of the tradition of where it had come from. I think one of the hugest challenges of this, and any director or editor will know exactly what I mean, is when you musical you surrender a huge amount of the control of pacing because you can’t pace the songs up. “I dreamed a dream”, you can pick your take but you can’t pace it up, so if that section of the film is sagging for any reason you can’t dig in to that place to do it. So when I was shooting I was always trying to work out ways of giving myself different gears or different control of pacing through the way I shot stuff if I knew I couldn’t do it in time terms. It’s a real challenge of the form, pacing something where a lot of it you’re not allowed to touch because of the way music works.

I asked Eric and I’ll ask you, say this film is super successful would you be willing to do an extended cut, because I know what that means and Eric pointed it out, you’d have to really go in and do a huge new score it would be a lot of work, could you ever see yourself doing a longer version of this whether Blu-ray or theatrical?

Hooper: I used to think definitely I would do a longer version, [but] having been through the oil tanker that this thing is, to wrestle it to where we got it, I’m aware that the moment you go, “let’s go back in” it’s not a simple process. But let’s see how it goes and if we feel there’s tremendous demand I’d always consider it. It’s difficult because at the same time I feel that I’ve paced it as I wanted it to be paced and do I want to put out in a world a less well paced version? I’m not sure. If there’s interest in the community of fans of the musical then I would definitely consider it.

Is there anything that you would consider deleted scenes that fans can expect on the Blu-ray?

Hooper: No, because I want to give myself the option of the extended version.

That’s a very honest answer, I appreciate that.

Hooper: Having also said that I might not do an extended version.

Yea, but it’s good for if there is no extended version in ten years you can release the deleted scenes and have everyone be super happy. I am curious though if you did an extended version down the road how much longer do you think it could be based on the footage you have?

Hooper: I’d probably put maybe fifteen, twenty minutes back. I wouldn’t go back to the four hour spectacular.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #807

Jun 2012
Upstate, NY

The worst song in the musical is "Dog Eat Dog", which Hooper was very wise to leave out of his film. Not sure I'd want to see an extended version if that number was put back in.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:12 AM   #808
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
The reason why films get edited is not only because if they're too long, theaters have fewer screenings per day. It's because you can frequently make things better by editing. That's true for magazine articles, books, music, etc.

Films are edited to remove things that don't work, because they're redundant, because they negatively impact pace, because they're confusing, etc. A longer version of a film isn't necessarily a better version.

On this site, everyone always seems to want a longer version of a movie. I think that's absurd. My reaction to Blu-rays that have cut scenes as extras is usually, "it's good they cut that". There are sometimes exceptions - most of the scenes cut from the first two Godfather movies were worthy of inclusion.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 10-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #809
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Well of course not every film has to be an extended cut ... But Hooper HAS stated he might restore reedit the film for us the fans of the musical at some point... there's no reason to belittle us or the proposition from Hooper himself... And there's no reason to lecture or educate me on the purpose or function that film editing serves, you're preaching to the choir
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #810

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
The reason why films get edited is not only because if they're too long, theaters have fewer screenings per day. It's because you can frequently make things better by editing. That's true for magazine articles, books, music, etc.

Films are edited to remove things that don't work, because they're redundant, because they negatively impact pace, because they're confusing, etc. A longer version of a film isn't necessarily a better version.

On this site, everyone always seems to want a longer version of a movie. I think that's absurd. My reaction to Blu-rays that have cut scenes as extras is usually, "it's good they cut that". There are sometimes exceptions - most of the scenes cut from the first two Godfather movies were worthy of inclusion.
But this musical ran for 30+ years, so we all know the "cut" songs and chunks of songs that were left out already work. So that isn't the same in this case. It definitely needs a longer cut to put back all the stuff they shouldn't have cut out in the first place.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America