Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
9 hrs ago
The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
11 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #481

Oct 2013
Canada

Does anyone know if this release, being sold by Amazon.ca, would be the un-remastered version?
http://www.amazon.ca/Gangs-York-Blu-...015324&sr=1-97

I think it has the old cover art, but is there a chance they just didn't update it?

If not, would this one, a few dollars more, be the remastered version?
http://www.amazon.ca/Gangs-New-York-...gs+of+new+york

It seems like it's a bit hard to find the right one in Canada. I think all the ones I've seen in real life have been the old one.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #482
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashcameronn View Post
Where the heck is the new Gangs of New York release that includes a digital copy?
Where? Well I got one imported a few weeks back. I paid about 6 for it and thought I was getting the old remastered one - I got the newer one with the UV instead.
Leo needs new shoes...
Old 07-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #483

Feb 2010

Anyone know if the version that is currently on sale for $4.99 at Amazon (featured in this site's US "Best Blu-ray Deals" section) is the remastered BD, or are they unloading the older discs? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #484

Apr 2014
Southfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantajoseph View Post
Anyone know if the version that is currently on sale for $4.99 at Amazon (featured in this site's US "Best Blu-ray Deals" section) is the remastered BD, or are they unloading the older discs? Thanks.
My order from Best Buy arrived today and I can confirm that they sent me the remastered version. Best Buy knows not to send old J.R. a DNR'd mess.
My friends call me J.R.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:05 AM   #485

Nov 2011
Default aspect

I have the 2010 miramax and noticed, while comparing it to a DVR recording on some movie channel, that there is a different (wider) aspect ratio on that movie channel version than there is on the "remaster." There's more top and bottom info. Compare, say, the snow fight scene in the beginning where they are all lined up and ready to fight... there is more snow / ground in the foreground, giving the sense of greater distance. "One more time for the sweet souvenir," there is more of Jen's dress visible in the close-ups, embroidering that isn't shown on the "remaster." Good quality, perhaps, but what a disappointment not to have the entire framing. I'm sorry I even compared them, I never would have known. Why would they do that?
Old 11-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #486
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I have the 2010 miramax and noticed, while comparing it to a DVR recording on some movie channel, that there is a different (wider) aspect ratio on that movie channel version than there is on the "remaster." There's more top and bottom info. Compare, say, the snow fight scene in the beginning where they are all lined up and ready to fight... there is more snow / ground in the foreground, giving the sense of greater distance. "One more time for the sweet souvenir," there is more of Jen's dress visible in the close-ups, embroidering that isn't shown on the "remaster." Good quality, perhaps, but what a disappointment not to have the entire framing. I'm sorry I even compared them, I never would have known. Why would they do that?
Not sure what you're saying here. Do you mean the TV version is open matte?
Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #487

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
The TV version is a compromise to fill the TV screen by adding more to the top and bottom of the frame rather than cutting information off the sides.The Blu-ray contains Scorsese's preferred shot composition that was in it's original theatrical release. It's the exact framing he wanted.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 PM   #488
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Yesterday I finally added the remastered version to my collection and I can now retire the problematic initial release. I grabbed the latest Lionsgate release with the UV code, and can confirm that it is in fact the remaster because:

1. It looks gorgeous and has an overall darker and grainier look.
2. After analyzing the disc via MakeMKV, the file is 33.5 GB, which is the size of the remastered version according to AVSforum.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Old 11-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #489

May 2009
Hagerstown, MD

$3.99 right now at amazon.com!
"What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" - John Cusack in High Fidelity
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America