Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #701
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

My Sorcerer digibook arrived in perfect condition from Amazon today, along with Riot in Cell Block 11, Get Carter (1971), The Pawnbroker, and Men in War.

I'm going to wait until this weekend for my first-time viewing, when I will have a lot of time to immerse myself in the film. After that, I'm looking forward to jumping into this discussion pool with y'all.
Old Yesterday, 02:04 AM   #702

Apr 2008
South Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrexlerMcStyles View Post
Ive been a fan of this film for about 15 years but have never owned a copy on home video because the LD and DVD were pan & scan. Id rent it once a year just to revisit it, but always kept my fingers crossed that it would get a "proper" release. So obviously I was very excited when this was announced. It came in the mail yesterday and so last night I sat down to it. After watching the murky, dark dvd for all these years, the picture quality of this blu absolutely blew me away. Quite honestly, I didnt really get the full effect of the tension in the film this time around because I was tripping out on the colors and details of the imagery. It was like watching a different film almost and I mean that in a good way. Ill have to give it another spin soon, once the shock of the restoration has settled in.

Id also like to add that this film makes a great case about the real importance of bit rates. This presentation looks flawless and only boasts 18 Mbps. Ive watched films with bit rates in the 30s that dont look half as good. I think people get too hung up on numbers, letting a preconceived idea of what is "good" and "bad" get in the way of what their eyes are actually seeing.
I saw it tonite projected on a 92 inch screen and it looked fantastic. I can see why some might find the selective saturation of colors in certain scenes off-putting, but I thought it added to the surreal atmosphere.

For the first time I noticed the very selective use of long lenses during the scenes set in Porvenir, compared to the wider lenses during the prologue vignettes and most of the jungle sequences.

However, I did not like the addition of the
[Show spoiler]gunshot
at the end of the film. Not necessary.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #703
Expert Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixemartinez View Post
However, I did not like the addition of the
[Show spoiler]gunshot
at the end of the film. Not necessary.
Yeah.. not sure what to think about that, and that's even if it's what you'd expect. Keep in mind that there were military guys in there, and they knew Roy had $40,000 in his pocket. They would no doubt follow him to the bank and squeeze him for a bribe... so what do you think those goons would have done if a single guy walks in, sees Roy and pulls out a gun (ie threatening their payday)? Hell, that would probably start another movie with a TRUE ROMANCE style shootout with everyone but Roy getting killed, with Roy having to escape once again.
Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM   #704

Aug 2008

I didn't hear a
[Show spoiler]gunshot
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #705
Expert Member

Mar 2010
New York

Well, I'm glad I got in when I did...

Looks like the Dark Delicacies online Signed Copy Pre-Orders have sold out and it's still almost a month away:

Quote:
On May 17th at 2 p.m., director William Friedkin signing Sorcerer (Blu-Ray). SORRY - NO MORE PRE-ORDERS ARE BEING TAKEN AT THIS TIME. If you'd like to have your name added to a waiting list, please e-mail us
Nice to see this being so popular.

Is anyone here from CA actually going to the instore signing?
For Your Consideration...
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #706

Dec 2010
USA

This might be the best blind buy I've ever made. What an incredible movie. Now to watch Wages of Fear...
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #707

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
This might be the best blind buy I've ever made. What an incredible movie. Now to watch Wages of Fear...
I'm very glad to hear it, do you mind if I ask - what made you blind buy it?
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM   #708

Nov 2011
Kansas City

I was very happy with it. The pq was excellent. I had not seen it in years and I forgot how powerful the images are.
Wanted:The Light at the Edge of The World(1971)Its Alive(1974)Zardoz(1974)The Ultimate Warrior(1975)Burnt Offerings(1976)Lipstick(1976)Black Sunday(1977)Demon Seed(1977)The Sentinel(1977)Telefon(1977)The Evil(1978)The Black Hole(1979)Hardcore(1979)The Changeling(1980)Dragonslayer(1981)Looker(1981)Satu rday The 14th(1981)Night Shift(1982)Vice Squad(1982)Dungeons & Dragons TV Series(1983)Krull(1983)Something Wicked This Way Comes(1983)Runaway(1984)The Wraith(1986)The Gate(1987)Summer School(1987)
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #709
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Devil View Post
I didn't hear a
[Show spoiler]gunshot
I did.

I was razzed a bit on the Get Carter thread for strenuously objecting to the inclusion of the dubbed US-friendly voices in one scene (against the instructions of the director). But let me tell ya, this one irked me every bit as much.

Maybe Friedkin thinks it's a good talisman to have his films end with an
[Show spoiler] off-screen gunshot
. I just think it's stupid. The music had already communicated everything we needed to know.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #710

Nov 2011
Kansas City

I must have dozed off, I missed what you're all talking about, but it gives me an excuse to watch it again.
Wanted:The Light at the Edge of The World(1971)Its Alive(1974)Zardoz(1974)The Ultimate Warrior(1975)Burnt Offerings(1976)Lipstick(1976)Black Sunday(1977)Demon Seed(1977)The Sentinel(1977)Telefon(1977)The Evil(1978)The Black Hole(1979)Hardcore(1979)The Changeling(1980)Dragonslayer(1981)Looker(1981)Satu rday The 14th(1981)Night Shift(1982)Vice Squad(1982)Dungeons & Dragons TV Series(1983)Krull(1983)Something Wicked This Way Comes(1983)Runaway(1984)The Wraith(1986)The Gate(1987)Summer School(1987)
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM   #711
Power Member

Feb 2012
Pittsburgh

I might have to blind buy this since I loved The Wages of Fear and the crappy old DVD of Sorcerer has a long wait on Netflix.
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM   #712
Special Member

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar_bee View Post
I did.

I was razzed a bit on the Get Carter thread for strenuously objecting to the inclusion of the dubbed US-friendly voices in one scene (against the instructions of the director). But let me tell ya, this one irked me every bit as much.

Maybe Friedkin thinks it's a good talisman to have his films end with an
[Show spoiler] off-screen gunshot
. I just think it's stupid. The music had already communicated everything we needed to know.
In a perfect world we would get all versions of all films. I watched Sorcerer last night and thought it looked and sounded amazing. So, you're going to let the final five seconds ruin the whole movie for you? Maybe it's me but I'm tired of the complaints of every single Blu-ray that comes out nowadays. I've complained myself plenty of times in the past but I'm going to try to not do that from now on. I remember a time before VHS when you had to make an appointment with a movie in order to see it on TV. Then, you wouldn't get to see the film again for probably another year or two if you were lucky. I can't wait to sit back and enjoy this wonderful transfer yet again in the near future on my own timetable!
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #713
Expert Member

Feb 2011

In answer to your question, no, I'm not going to let it ruin the movie for me. Even I'm not that petty. Yes, it looks and sounds terrific, apart from some lousy 21st century sound database gunshots. I'm very happy to have one of my absolute favourite movies on blu-ray. And your point about timetables is a good one, one that often gets overlooked in an era when we can do just about anything anytime.

And yes, people do complain incessantly about all manner of things here at 1stworldproblems.com. I do myself. I also get annoyed when people complain about things that I don't think are worth complaining about ("when my slipcover X"). Then I complain about that.

But I do think the people who call themselves film fans have become a bit too accepting of this kind of tinkering. Hell, we expect it. I think anyone -- be it the director or whoever -- who wants to alter a film in any way from its theatrical version (while not making said version available right alongside the "new and improved") has or should have a sizable burden of proof.

[Show spoiler]And inserting the sound of a gun going off into the film's final moments does change the film.
It's Friedkin trying on his Sir Ridley hat and telling the audience what to think. In short, it sucks. And I actually care about this movie, so it upsets me that now, tomorrow and in perpetuity, this is the version of Sorcerer that people will talk about. At least Rids had the good sense to include all versions.

It's made slightly worse by the fact that it's strictly a sound mix thing; including the original audio track -- you know, the one that garnered Sorcerer its sole Oscar nomination? -- would've fixed this.
Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM   #714
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

This was the first time I've ever seen the film so the
[Show spoiler]Gunshot at the end
didn't bother me, however I do agree it isn't fully needed. I would have assumed it was always in the movie. I understand those who have seen it many times would be surprised by the change.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Marantz SR700
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Oppo BDP-103 Region Free
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60
Old Today, 12:00 AM   #715

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt The Fries View Post
I'm very glad to hear it, do you mind if I ask - what made you blind buy it?
I first heard about the movie from this thread. I thought the trailer looked cool so I preordered it. Does it still count as a blind buy if I watched the trailer?
Old Today, 02:22 AM   #716

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike Bishop View Post
I first heard about the movie from this thread. I thought the trailer looked cool so I preordered it. Does it still count as a blind buy if I watched the trailer?
You know a lot more than I did when I saw it in the theater. I was in Auburn, Alabama, bored silly, saw the name on the marquee, and bought a ticket.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America